Fix the revised ranger in four easy steps

*Pokes snake*

Actually, there was a 0E ranger ... it appeared in Strategic Review 102 (Issue 2) in 1975.

It's virtually identical to the 1E ranger -- it mixed cleric and MU spells instead of druid and MU spells, and the "special cohort list" was slightly different (and included a gold dragon).

I don't think classes are defind by their HD, as much as that is part of their mechanics -- remember when monks had d4 (with an extra at 1st level)? Anyone want to go back?

boschdevil

First Post
Personally, I'm going to try playing the 3.5 ranger in a campaign first before I say that it is "broken" and hence needs to be "fixed". But hey, that's just me ...

Gonna have to throw in another "old guard" vote here.

I've played Basic, 1E, 2E and 3E. And I have to say, the revised ranger--d8s and all--strikes me as far more ranger-ish (in my view, of course) than any of the others.

Frankly, I like the idea of him not being as much a toe-to-toe fighter as a paladin or, well, a fighter. The sneaky woodsman type is, I feel, more appropriate.

It also makes the overall classes more well balanced, I think. We've already got more fighter variations than anything else. The game didn't need another; what it needed, and what 3.5E is giving it, is a wilderness skill user. And for those who want to call it a rogue sub-class--c'mon. It's still far more of a stand-up fighter than a rogue is.

Michael Tree

First Post
I had a sneaking suspicion that there was a OD&D Ranger somewhere.

Well, if I'd seen that issue when it was published, I suspect I would have just grabbed it and scampered around the house looking at the pictures (not yet being able to read, or for that matter, speak). :p

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Another "Old Guarde" here... though admittedy, I started on 1E, then went backwards for a while, not the other way around... And I like the 3.5 ranger best of any of them. It's not perfect, yet, but it's a darned sight closer.

boschdevil

First Post
Another old guarde here ...

Like I said above, the new 3.5 ranger looks encouraging, but I'll give it a whirl before I make a final decision. I can't wait to give it a test drive in a campaign.

DonAdam

Explorer
The new class does look to give a little too much, but that's based on 3.0. A bunch of the classes look to be getting bumped in power level in 3.5, so I won't judge balance yet, except to say that if it's off it's not off by much.

I also wouldn't say that JD's version gets it much further away from being a rogue. He still gets the sneaky skills, plus camoflauge and hide in plain sight, which are much more roguish than fighterish.

However, here are my "6.5 easy steps" (for flavor, not balance):
1) Drop the spells
2) Drop the virtual feats
3) Bump HD to d10
4) Give bonus feats a'la BOHM ranger
5) At every favored enemy increase, give an option of favored enemy or favored terrain (with an AC bonus instead of damage bonus, just not as big)
6) Replace the damage bonus with sneak attack against favored enemies.
6.5) Possibly replace evasion with Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed). Seems to fit better.

Edit: Oh yes, one clarification: This is far and away the best of the TSR/WOTC rangers to date.

Last edited:

Michael Tree said:
Well, if I'd seen that issue when it was published, I suspect I would have just grabbed it and scampered around the house looking at the pictures (not yet being able to read, or for that matter, speak). :p

What pictures?

SR was virtually all typed text. :)

Tom Cashel

First Post
Wrong! Here's how to fix the Ranger:

1. Get Larry Robinson to coach.
2. Get rid of Lindros (perhaps they could arrange an "accident"...)
3. Make sure Messier retires.
4. Whatever you do, keep Holik, Barnaby & Kovalev.

[Hey, didja miss me folks? I'm baaaaaack!]

Attachments

• mattcutter.jpg
    mattcutter.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 621

boschdevil

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
Wrong! Here's how to fix the Ranger:

1. Get Larry Robinson to coach.
2. Get rid of Lindros (perhaps they could arrange an "accident"...)
3. Make sure Messier retires.
4. Whatever you do, keep Holik, Barnaby & Kovalev.

[Hey, didja miss me folks? I'm baaaaaack!]

I like the one step plan: Spray Paint "RANGERS" to the side of the Minnesota Wild's team bus.

Remove ads