Fix the revised ranger in four easy steps

Agamon

Adventurer
Tom Cashel said:
Wrong! Here's how to fix the Ranger:

1. Get Larry Robinson to coach.
2. Get rid of Lindros (perhaps they could arrange an "accident"...)
3. Make sure Messier retires.
4. Whatever you do, keep Holik, Barnaby & Kovalev.

[Hey, didja miss me folks? I'm baaaaaack!]

The Rangers are definitely broken...but it's NHL fans that got the shaft with this year's final four...

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Agamon said:
So when is someone going to post the easy steps for turning the 3.5 Bard back into the 1E Bard?

1) Make it a Prestige Class with prerequisites: +6 BAB, 10 ranks Perform, ability to cast 2nd level Arcane and 2nd level Divine Spells, and 4 ranks of Animal Empathy. Give it Sorceror spell progression with the Bard spell list.

Griswold

First Post
Olde Gaurd here too :)

My question is, since I haven't gotten my Dragon mag yet and nobody has given a definate opinion, is the new ranger shafted or broken?

Personally, if you want a fixed Ranger, have Monte Cook write a book about them :)

-G

Felon

First Post
Griswold said:
My question is, since I haven't gotten my Dragon mag yet and nobody has given a definate opinion, is the new ranger shafted or broken?

Really depends on who you ask. There's a long thread on the board about it already. And a poll too.

Michael Tree

First Post
Griswold said:
No one's actually played one yet, aside from playtesters, who aren't allowed to talk about it, so it's really impossible to tell if the class is balanced or not. It looks balanced to me, but I can't be sure until I try it in play.

It's significant to note that almost all the arguments that are going on are about the new ranger's flavor, not its game balance.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Michael Tree said:
It's significant to note that almost all the arguments that are going on are about the new ranger's flavor, not its game balance.
I noticed that as well. That indicates to me that the issue will *never* be resolved, due to the subjective nature of flavor versus the fairly objective aspects of balance.

Yes, I am aware that I am stating the obvious. ;)

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
DonAdam said:
<snip>

However, here are my "6.5 easy steps" (for flavor, not balance):
1) Drop the spells
2) Drop the virtual feats
3) Bump HD to d10
4) Give bonus feats a'la BOHM ranger
5) At every favored enemy increase, give an option of favored enemy or favored terrain (with an AC bonus instead of damage bonus, just not as big)
6) Replace the damage bonus with sneak attack against favored enemies.
6.5) Possibly replace evasion with Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed). Seems to fit better.

<snip>

You do realize you just (more or less) made this a Fighter but instead of the bonus fighter feats you are giving him bonus "Ranger" feats (presuming you made favored enemy and favored terrain bonuses into feat progressions)

:)

DonAdam

Explorer
I wouldn't be too hasty saying that it's all balance talk.

I think that this class is a little strong for 3.0. We can't know whether it's balanced for 3.5, as we don't have the other classes available.

I will say this though: <james hetfield>abilities spread out over the whole 20 levels: good!</james hetfield>

Remove ads