Flaming Sphere + Booming Blade

Esker

Hero
Now, I guess with OAs, if there are other melee allies threatening them, they might choose to stay put even on turns when you miss, since the OAs alone could be worse than the flaming sphere damage. If that's the case, then you drop that 0.6 factor on the end of turn damage, which helps.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Now, I guess with OAs, if there are other melee allies threatening them, they might choose to stay put even on turns when you miss, since the OAs alone could be worse than the flaming sphere damage. If that's the case, then you drop that 0.6 factor on the end of turn damage, which helps.

As long as you are fighting a solo where multiple melee allies all gather around the enemy then flaming sphere should get close to causing double it's listed damage - either by forcing OA's or by dealing it's damage directly.

Esker

Hero
So, best case, factoring in OAs gets them to stay put regardless, and so you're doing the flaming sphere damage twice per round, which brings it even with the two-target spirit guardians damage after the 50% discount.

FrogReaver

So, best case, factoring in OAs gets them to stay put regardless, and so you're doing the flaming sphere damage twice per round, which brings it even with the two-target spirit guardians damage after the 50% discount.

But there’s not 2 targets.

Esker

Hero
But there’s not 2 targets.

Yeah, if there aren't two targets, then it works out better than SG, at least if you aren't planning on using any other spell slots. Still, strikes me as pretty situational; how often are you facing only one enemy where it's not the type of fight where you want to go nova?

FrogReaver

Yeah, if there aren't two targets, then it works out better than SG, at least if you aren't planning on using any other spell slots. Still, strikes me as pretty situational; how often are you facing only one enemy where it's not the type of fight where you want to go nova?

Depends on the campaign. Depends on what spell slots have already been used.

FrogReaver

An upcast spiritual weapon (4th level slot) adds 8.4 damage to the spirit guardians scenario.

Total Damage = 26.4. That should be very similar to the flaming sphere scenario but requires a level 5 and level 4 spell slot.

Flaming Sphere is significantly more efficient from a resource standpoint.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
It seems to me this build comes on line quickest as a single classed character.

Your best bet is to take warcaster as your first feat anyway, and I was thinking this would be a fantastic combo on a bladesinger.

Am I correct in this analysis?

FrogReaver

It seems to me this build comes on line quickest as a single classed character.

Your best bet is to take warcaster as your first feat anyway, and I was thinking this would be a fantastic combo on a bladesinger.

Am I correct in this analysis?

I like it.

Remove ads