• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flare!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeturs

First Post
my friend has a fascination with casting the wizard cantrip "light" and yelling out flare. i have been letting him use his light to blind enemys in the square as an int vs reflex attack.

my question is, is this rediculusly overpowered? bear in mind light is a minor action.

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
Lol no way

I think your in the wrong dude, In my game my character plays an Eladrin Wizard and I upped Flare to do 3d8 and stun until the end of their next turn. Int vs Ref is correct. One time he got a critical hit and I made the hobgoblin take 5 ongoing fire damage, and he was blinded. Flare needs Op-ness

yeturs

First Post
my wizard player is only level 3 at this point though, and blinding someone as a minor action is a little iffy to me. however, giveing him 3d8 damage and stun (stun instead of blind makes sense though) seems really over the top. i mean, his at-wills only do 2d4 or 1d6, so 3d8 as a minor action, witch he could have three of if he doesn't move, seems crazy.

i think flare (light that's targeted on a creatures face) should be int vs ref; the target is stunned until the end of its next turn. on a crit (god forbid) its blinded (save ends).

Dannager

First Post
You're both really bad at this and should never be allowed to create house rules ever again, basically.

First, ArtofSymmetry, there is no such thing as a Flare power, so I can't even begin to imagine what you're talking about. Second, why are you making house rule decisions about your own character? Your DM should be making those calls.

Second, yeturs, no. No, no, no. You should probably not allow Light to be used for anything but what the cantrip says it can be used for: shedding light. It is not an attack. It should not deal damage. It should not blind. And it really, really should not stun. I'm not sure how you're imagining that stunned is somehow less awful than blind, seeing as how stunned prevents you from taking any actions whatsoever.

To give you an idea of what your ruling might accomplish, imagine that your party comes up against a solo creature. Hooray. Your Wizard says "Chill guys, I've got this," and casts Light on the solo creature. Three times. Assuming he hits with even one of those casts during his turn, that solo creature does nothing on its next action. The Wizard can do this for the entire fight.

Just don't.

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
Dannager, you fail. I am friends with Yeturs and even though it was a legitimate question by him I was just being an :):):):):):):). He didn't know I had signed up yet so I decided to mess with him before I told him. And you stated "There is no such thing as a flare power, so I can't even begin to imagine what your talking about", then proceed to write two onerous paragraphs essentially telling us to do something we were never really doing. I asked if I could use flare to temporarily blind a minion, and I rolled a twenty. That was all. Lesson here, don't be a Dannager. Troll is Troll

yeturs

First Post
first of, Jake (Artofsymmetry) your a dick, secondly you have a point Dannager blind IS better then stun, i has my rules confused. i thing im going to let Jake use flare(light targeted on a creatures head) once per encounter to blind it until its next turn and have something utterly rediculous happen when.if he crits (like the ongoing 5 damage). thanks for the legitamite post though.

Dannager

First Post
Dannager, you fail. I am friends with Yeturs and even though it was a legitimate question by him I was just being an :):):):):):):). He didn't know I had signed up yet so I decided to mess with him before I told him. And you stated "There is no such thing as a flare power, so I can't even begin to imagine what your talking about", then proceed to write two onerous paragraphs essentially telling us to do something we were never really doing. I asked if I could use flare to temporarily blind a minion, and I rolled a twenty. That was all. Lesson here, don't be a Dannager. Troll is Troll
I'm really confused. You signed up just to troll one thread, and then turn around and demean someone else when they question your post? If so, wow. You're off to an awesome start.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

As someone new to ENworld, I hope you have a long, productive and happy stay here.

However, this is not the way to go about it. Please behave better in the future.

Thanks

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
I didnt make an account to troll one thread, I am legitimately being a member, I just decided to poke fun at one of my friends,
Someone close this or better yet delete it, it's pretty pointless.

Smeelbo

First Post
I've seen wizards trying very hard to make combat use of their cantrips. If I wanted to reward some creative use of cantrips, then I'd do something more like this:

Mage Hand to Drop an Axe on their Head:
INT/2 versus AC, HIT: INT/2 damage.
But only if the ceilings are high enough.

Light "Flare!"
INT/2 versus Reflex, HIT: -1 penalty to next attack before the end of their next turn.
Remember 3.x spell Flare?

Basically, a crappy chance of helping a little. And I'd only allow it once per encounter.

And I think I'd only allow it for the first half of the Heroic Tier, past level 5, the monsters don't fall for those shennanigans, and the characters are substantially stronger anyway. I do sometimes take pity on first level characters trying to play creatively.

Blind is a terrible condition. Oh how I hates those Goblin Hexers!

Smeelbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads