• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaws

The_Universe

First Post
Official Flaws:

Feeble
You take a -2 penalty on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution based ability checks and skill checks.

Frail
Subtract 1 from the number of hit points you gain at each level. This flaw can reduce the number of hit points you gain to 0 (but not below).

Inattentive
You take a -4 penalty on Listen checks and Spot checks.

Meager Fortitude
You take a -3 penalty on Fortitude saves.

Murky-Eyed
In combat, every time you attack an opponent that has concealment, roll your miss chance twice. If either or both results indicate that you miss, your attacck fails.

Noncombatant
You take a -2 penalty on all melee attack rolls.

Pathetic
Reduce one of your ability scores by 2.

Poor Reflexes
You take a -3 penalty on Reflex saves.

Shaky
You take a -2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls.

Slow
Your base land speed is halved (round down to the nearest 5-foot interval).

Unreactive
You take a -6 penalty on initiative checks.

Vulnerable
You take a -1 penalty to Armor Class.

Weak Willed
You take a -3 penalty on will saves

Custom Flaws:

Glass Jawed
You take a -3 penalty to your Massive Damage Threshold.

Infuriatingly Stupid
You take a -2 Penalty on all Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma based ability checks and skill checks.

Memorably Ugly (AKA Pierced Nipples ;))
You take a -6 penalty to Disguise and Diplomacy checks.

Monocular
You take a -4 penalty to Spot checks and a -1 penalty to all Ranged attack rolls.

Mute
You cannot make vocal sounds of any kind (and thus cannot speak any language, use any spell or power with a verbal component, make a verbal warning, etc).

Naive
You take a -4 penalty to Sense Motive and a -2 penalty to Will saves.

Open Book
You take a -6 penalty to Bluff and Diplomacy checks.

Unheroic (Better at what? Better at cowering!?)
You roll d3s for Action Dice instead of d6s.

Last edited:

ElvishBard

First Post
With the mute, can you sign, write, and understand the languages you know? I would hope so, or else the character with that flaw would be very weak.

The_Universe

First Post
I don't see why you couldn't, though I do have some concern that without penalties to some of those things (even though they aren't strictly necessary) a mute character may not be "flawed" enough when compared to some of the other official options.

But, to answer your specific question, the only penalties for being mute are the ones specifically listed. :)

Also (as a side note) - who are you?

cuteasaurus

First Post
So, I've decided the nipple ring thing is really more of a "trait" than a "flaw" since it provides benefits in some situations.

So, I'm back to the "impetuous" flaw...I'm not sure how that'll work though. Bleh

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
So, I've decided the nipple ring thing is really more of a "trait" than a "flaw" since it provides benefits in some situations.

So, I'm back to the "impetuous" flaw...I'm not sure how that'll work though. Bleh
By impetuous do you still mean "shoot first, ask questions later?" You might be able to represent that with Pathetic: Wisdom, as wisdom is supposed to represent common sense, as well as perception. By taking the penalty to Wisdom, you could say that your character just doesn't always think things through before pursuing them, often at great personal risk.

cuteasaurus

First Post
I guess I was thinking more like "curious." As in she'd be inclined to explore a new cave, without first thinking she should go back to base camp and get some rope?

cuteasaurus said:

You could always post a thread in the House Rules forum. Describe what you want and see what the ENWorld community at large can come up with...

Remove ads