• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flea vs Dragon 1-0

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Instead of being shunted or pushed aside and taking no damage, you could say the shapechanging/polymorphing creature to take 1d8 points of damage per size difference when attempting to change inside a confined space (i.e. changing from Fine to Huge is six size differences so the character would take 6d8 points of damage).

Although- I think your ruling worked fine.

IceBear

Explorer
I'd either go with your ruling or have the spellcaster instantly die too due to trying to grow too large in a confined area.

IceBear

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
did anyone ever consider the time it would take a flea to crawl and hop it's way to the dragon, then up to it's ear? the rest of your party could very well be dead or unconscious, or already have defeated the dragon in that amount of time.

of course, casting fly first would solve that problem, but it would still take time.

hong

WotC's bitch
Cl1mh4224rd said:
did anyone ever consider the time it would take a flea to crawl and hop it's way to the dragon, then up to it's ear? the rest of your party could very well be dead or unconscious, or already have defeated the dragon in that amount of time.

THIS flea has boots of striding and springing!

JLXC

First Post
Well I would not allow it.

I don't allow "I cast Light on his Eyes!" That's blindness spell.

I don't allow "I use Item spell on a safe, trick the guy into swallowing it, now he dies!" That's Stupid.

I don't allow "I reduce the rock, throw it into the dragon, then Elarge it!" It's Stupid.

I would not allow That use of Shapechange because it is stupid.

Magic is not Real in the sense that IF X would happen in real life if follows that X would happen in D&D.

Trying to do instant kill things is lame powergaming. Would nobody else have figured out these Wondrous Ideas in all the Eons that spells were around? If that could happen there would be lots of spellcasters DOING IT. It isn't. Geez.... :rolleyes:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
How about this: The flea is one of many parasites inside the dragon and he either:

A: gets eaten by a larger parasite or
B: is now subject to the dragon's spell resistance and cannot change shape. He is stuck forever in the form of a flea, because ear wax has now built up and blocked his escape!

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Besides... who says a dragon has an "ear" anyway. If they're like any of their reptilian cousins, they simply have tympanic membranes without any real external ear or ear canal.

Which would leave but four other orifices for the ingenious shapechanger to crawl into, and I can't imagine any of those to be very hospitable environs for any creature.

Last edited:

dregoth

First Post
So what you're saying is that spellresistance is actually a small (limited) antimagic field which you wear like a second skin.
Sounds ok that he couldn't change shape in his ear, but if this would be the case wouldn't he instantly transform back to his natural form?

Remove ads