• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fleshshiver (PGtF) + Chain spell (T&B) = urrrgh ?

Quixon

First Post
Dthamilaye said:
The no limit in damage might be somehow understandable, as the spell affects only one target. However, the damage is BLUDGEONING damage, ie, it goes through EVERY resistance, so it is quite powerful.

Gotta say the fact it does bludgeoning damage doesn't seem like much of a benefit, if one at all.

It's true its not a energy type so you get around energy resistances but, as you say - its BLUDGEONING, so it should be affected by DR as far as I know, and that just as, if not more common, than energy resistances.

reiella

Explorer
Quixon said:
Gotta say the fact it does bludgeoning damage doesn't seem like much of a benefit, if one at all.

It's true its not a energy type so you get around energy resistances but, as you say - its BLUDGEONING, so it should be affected by DR as far as I know, and that just as, if not more common, than energy resistances.

That's not accurate with the RAW...

SRD-Damage Reduction said:
Spells, spell-like abilities, and energy attacks (even nonmagical fire) ignore damage reduction.

In fact, there's little reason for specifying bludgeoning as a damage type, except for some special circumstances [Regeneration comes to mind, and 'damage multipliers/dividers'-ie, all bludgeoning damage is cut in half]. That said, off hand, I can't think of any situations where it's significant that the damage dealt is bludgeoning [in 3.5 at least].

Quixon

First Post
reiella said:
That's not accurate with the RAW...

In fact, there's little reason for specifying bludgeoning as a damage type, except for some special circumstances [Regeneration comes to mind, and 'damage multipliers/dividers'-ie, all bludgeoning damage is cut in half]. That said, off hand, I can't think of any situations where it's significant that the damage dealt is bludgeoning [in 3.5 at least].

I saw that description of DR as well but we always took that to mean like the damage from Magic Missle or some undefined type would not be affected by Dr. Otherwise it seems you get some "wonky" problems...

For example then a weapon created by Major/Minor Creation bypass all DR, after all it is the result of a spell.

Use a Wish to get a sword or whatever, but since it came from a spell you now have a permanent weapon that bypasses all DR.

I can't say which is correct by the RAW. We interpret it one way but I can see how you interpret it ( I just prefer it our way, makes more sense to us).

Maybe we could get lucky and get a "offical" answer someday but I won't hold my breath lol.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Kalanyr said:
Actually with Improved Metamagic Destruction IS chainable pre-epic...

How do you want to combine those two?

Destruction is a Cleric spell and Improved Metamagic is an Incantatrix ability.

Or it there a Cleric PrC which also grants it?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Quixon said:
For example then a weapon created by Major/Minor Creation bypass all DR, after all it is the result of a spell.

No, only the spell does bypass DR. The weapon created by the spell does not.

Bye
Thanee

reiella

Explorer
Quixon said:
I saw that description of DR as well but we always took that to mean like the damage from Magic Missle or some undefined type would not be affected by Dr. Otherwise it seems you get some "wonky" problems...

Use a Wish to get a sword or whatever, but since it came from a spell you now have a permanent weapon that bypasses all DR.

I can't say which is correct by the RAW. We interpret it one way but I can see how you interpret it ( I just prefer it our way, makes more sense to us).

Maybe we could get lucky and get a "offical" answer someday but I won't hold my breath lol.

As Thanee said, that also doesn't happen with the RAW.

The effect of said spell is to create an object/item/weapon. And that item/weapon is what deals damage, not the spell. For the same reason that you wouldn't apply a Spell Resistance check against a weapon created in this manner [for instance, against a Weapon created by Wish] when you attack a creature with said weapon.

Now, if the spell in question here [Fleshshiver] brings into existance some weird Necromantic Mace that's self-propelled that deals that damage to the creature on the second round, then, yes, the Damage Reduction would apply.

Remove ads