• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flowchart of the Editions

diaglo

Adventurer
besides pulling out the different covers for 1edADnD. you may note that they went thru some changes with printings.

and added more rules with different hardbacks. the more common DMG you have in your chart is actually 1979 Revised.

edit: the big noted change everyone knows about of course was the DDG (1980). which went from 144 pages to 128.

diaglo

Adventurer
tenkar said:
Missing UA from first edition... it was pretty much core in all the groups i knew
yeah, 1985 added UA and then you get DSG and WSG edit: in 1986. and a whole lotta skills and nonweapon prof. to 1edADnD.

but you also got DL added then.

edit2: and OA and GA

at the end of 1edADnD you get the grey boxed set FR.

Last edited:

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Looks to me like you're missing the "Classic Dungeons & Dragons" set that came out in 1994. It was basically a repackaging of the 1991 black box, though.

I think there was also a 1998 D&D set, but that might have been an introduction to AD&D instead.

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Honestly, I think you're pretty much done. You might want to include the OD&D Supplements after the "3 brown books" box as a seperate link between OD&D and AD&D (the way some folks see it, Holmes went one way, and 3BB + Supplements went another, leading to AD&D). Maybe UA in the orange-spine AD&D era. But for the most part, that's the story. Nice work.

Edit: Ooh - also, "Wrath of the Immortals" was a follow-up to the Rules Cyclopedia. It was a campaign, but it also included the BECMI Immortals Set rules that the RC left out.

Second edit: Some folks would consider "2.5" - i.e., Skills & Powers / Combat & Tactics - to be its own subset / edition.

rossik

Explorer
if you include UA, you may include the players options for 2ed, as noted above

an_idol_mind said:
Looks to me like you're missing the "Classic Dungeons & Dragons" set that came out in 1994. It was basically a repackaging of the 1991 black box, though.

I think there was also a 1998 D&D set, but that might have been an introduction to AD&D instead.

thats the one in my link, right?

Darkwolf71

First Post
If you're just going for the 'core' stuff...

OD&D Supplements: No

1st ed UA: Yes

2nd ed Players options: No

Wrath of the Immortals: Yes

IMO.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Pretty, but I'm afraid I can't read them. :(

From what I can make out, I have the 2nd row of covers of the AD&D books (top grey-colored square after the split). I also have the far left boxed set from the black-colored square after the split - what is that one called in the 'proper' naming lingo?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Yeah, for the last edition of Original D&D, you definitely need to put Wrath of the Immortals next to the Rules Cyclopedia and the New/Classic set.

basic96box_small.jpg

cyclopedia_small.jpg

wrath_small.jpg

Those sets taken together make up the complete Classic D&D edition.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
1)You definately need to add the other ODD supplements.

2) I am not so sure about having that first basic set as a precursor to ADD, I don't really think it was.

3) There have been a number of "starter sets". Not sure you want to include any.

Remove ads