• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying Clarifications

Jkjk

First Post
Hey I'm sorta confused about flying in 4e. Take the avenger Paragon Path Favored Soul for instance. The utility allows u to gain fly 4 (hover). Does this mean that you could move your speed (4) upwards and then hover at that height for the rest of the encounter and be immune to melee attacks? I know avengers don't have many ranged attacks, but even using unarmed ranged attacks will eventually kill something if it can't get at you. This seems too easy and cheap to accomplish than should be allowed, but I don't see how you'd get around it. Thanks!

DracoSuave

First Post
When it comes to melee and avengers, the old adage 'They are more scared of you than you are of them' comes to mind.

The avenger is built to melee things. He's very good at it. He has a big weapon, and he likes to cut people up with them, and he rarely misses.

However, if he is content to fly outside of melee range of everyone, while plinking arrows down... well... good on him. He can do that. Of course, enemies getting shot at by arrows from someone they can't reach will get smart and will head for cover because, well... that's what smart players do when they have a dragon doing the exact same thing.

Of course, the artillery will be firing down on the avenger because it's not like trading shots isn't to their advantage completely.

It's one of those things that seems really awesome on paper, but can be defeated by the simplest tactics.

chitzk0i

Explorer
That utility power may not do anything for you unless you have a fly speed from elsewhere. It's not terribly clear under the rules if having no fly speed means you have something to increase.

Even if it does work, your allies are all down there on the ground. If you aren't contributing meaningfully to the combat, then the monsters are sure to kill off your friends and then deal with you at their leisure. Plus, there are plenty of monsters that will pull, slide, or knock you prone, and that'll end your trip real quick. Any and all artillery suddenly have a very clear line of sight to you and reach 2 is common on large creatures.

Flight is not an "I win" button.

DracoSuave

First Post
That utility power may not do anything for you unless you have a fly speed from elsewhere.

You mean, like the paragon path's feature that says you can fly, and the powers the avenger gets in spades that allow momentary flight?

Out of context it is useless. In context, it applies to things the avenger has in abundance.

chitzk0i

Explorer
You mean, like the paragon path's feature that says you can fly, and the powers the avenger gets in spades that allow momentary flight?

Out of context it is useless. In context, it applies to things the avenger has in abundance.
I did say, "Unless you have a fly speed from elsewhere." I got the impression that the OP hadn't gotten to 16 yet and he didn't mention anything else; in fact, he specifically asked about it on its own.

gjnave

First Post
THere's also the whole problem of being knocked "prone" at that height. It's great to be that high up and try to "plunk" people, but not as great to take damage, per 10 feet up in the air that you are, when you fall.

THere's also the whole problem of being knocked "prone" at that height. It's great to be that high up and try to "plunk" people, but not as great to take damage, per 10 feet up in the air that you are, when you fall.

Eh, it isn't really that bad. The current rules are you multiply your fly speed by 5 and subtract that from the distance (in feet apparently), or just subtract your fly speed in squares from the distance fallen. For short distances this means you're unlikely to take any damage. With a fly speed of 4 you can safely fly at altitude 4. Even if you DO fall you can still reduce the damage with an Acrobatics check. Being stunned is no worse.

DracoSuave

First Post
Eh, it isn't really that bad. The current rules are you multiply your fly speed by 5 and subtract that from the distance (in feet apparently), or just subtract your fly speed in squares from the distance fallen. For short distances this means you're unlikely to take any damage. With a fly speed of 4 you can safely fly at altitude 4. Even if you DO fall you can still reduce the damage with an Acrobatics check. Being stunned is no worse.

Actually, with 4 added on to your flight speed. So, if you have the class feature, that's actually a total of 10.

Long and short of it, if you could fly and touch the ground in one action, you won't get hurt from a fall.

gjnave

First Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a "utility" power... which means its not necessarily meant for combat alone.
So... room full of floor traps? Great! How about we hover and fly over the the room to deactivate everything.
Pool of blood with the much need relic on a pedestal in the middle (nod to Thunderspire)? No prob... how abouts I fly/hover over there, get it and return.

Riastlin

First Post
Personally, as a DM, I would love it if the Avenger in my party decided to simply hover and plink away with ranged attacks. His Executioner's Axe is far deadlier.

But yes, certainly having that kind of flight available will come in quite handy from time to time. I think the big advantage for the avenger will be when the DM throws flying creatures at the party. This allows the avenger to join in on the fun as well as the ranged attackers. Actually, kind of a nice way to show progression of the character in terms of power, though perhaps a bit of a slap to the archer or mage, etc.

Remove ads