D&D (2024) Flying fighter with Topple vs multiple flying enemies

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Over in the other forum I frequent regularly (civfanatics), there is a saying, “gameplay trumps reality.” They try to make the game as realistic as possible. But if that realism interferes with the game being enjoyable and/or makes the rules too complicated, then realism be damned! Fun in a game is much more important.

Last edited:

I'm sure any of use can think of a dozen reasons why a gnome might be able to pull off that averaged extra point of damage.
i've got an easy one - a small sized longbow is actually just a recurve shortbow (which could get draw weights - and thus, presumably, damage and range - equal to longbows).

Ah yes, one on the dumbest rules in new playtest, small races using medium sized 2Handed Heavy weapons.

How can a halfling use a long bow as it do not have arm length to pull the longbow more than half way to full, hahaha.
How? Easy. They develop a style where they hold the bow more diagonally or horizontally. It's a fantasy game.

I'm on board with all Heavy weapons requiring a Str 13 requirement to wield properly, but being open to S and larger creatures.

However I don't think ranged Heavy weapons should instead have a Dex 13 requirement like in the current UA.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So the glossary has: "While flying, you fall if you lack the Hover trait and have the Incapacitated or Prone condition or your Fly Speed is reduced to 0" for the last few UAs.
This implies to me that one can fly if one is incapacitated, yet has the Hover trait.

... then just create in your mind any reason you want why a gnome can use a size-applicable bow and still get the step-up in damage die. I'm sure any of use can think of a dozen reasons why a gnome might be able to pull off that averaged extra point of damage.
Gnomish shortbow: 1d8 damage. Multiple pulleys.

I mean, we can accept a medium-sized character is somehow a threat to a giant or a dragon in the game, so whether you're 3' tall, 5' tall, or 7' tall doesn't make a huge difference here.
More specifically, "in D&D." And no, 3', 5', and 7' creatures are not Huge 🤓

How? Easy. They develop a style where they hold the bow more diagonally or horizontally. It's a fantasy game.
Diagonally! Ha! Laughable. A longbow, diagonally? Everyone knows the best way for a gnome to use a longbow is to set one end in the earth, and while it's steady, to climb up into the longbow and push the string back with his feet. The trick is to fire the arrow before tipping over.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This implies to me that one can fly if one is incapacitated, yet has the Hover trait.

Gnomish shortbow: 1d8 damage. Multiple pulleys.

More specifically, "in D&D." And no, 3', 5', and 7' creatures are not Huge 🤓

Diagonally! Ha! Laughable. A longbow, diagonally? Everyone knows the best way for a gnome to use a longbow is to set one end in the earth, and while it's steady, to climb up into the longbow and push the string back with his feet. The trick is to fire the arrow before tipping over.
Footbows are a really cool idea, but I'm not sure how good they will be against a moving target. But hey, it's a fantasy game, right?

Horwath

Legend
there is plausibility where we can handwave logic and there is complete imposibility.
a 3ft halfing cannot physically use a 6ft longbow, because for a 5ft human, a 6ft longbow is very difficult to use.

I would also like other advantages for small characters to compensate for not being able to use heavy weapons. I´d keep the 13 STR requirement on top for both ranged and melee heavy weapons.

But that is not the hill I would die on.

Remove ads