• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying Owlbear. does it exist?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
IIRC, the Winged Owlbear and the Arctic Owlbear appeared at the end of the "Ecology of the Owlbear" article from Dragon 214 (in 2E stats obviously).

Knight Otu

First Post
I have no idea how different the Winged Owlbear is from the standard one, but maybe applying the "Winged" template from SavSpe recreates it?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Knight's method is the way to go. Just use the Winged template. Or if you dont have that book, simply give the monster a set of wings and a fly speed of say 40 feet or so and a manueverability of average or poor. And there ya go.

Ferret

Explorer
Owlbear
Large Magical beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+20 (47 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. fly 50ft Good
AC: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +7 melee, bite +2 melee
Damage: Claw 1d6+5, bite 1d8+2
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +9, Spot +8
Climate/Terrain: Temperate forest
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge)

Tah da. I must say the winged creature template must be the simplist template I ever did see.

Richards

Legend
The 3E winged owlbear also makes an appearance in the adventure "The Dying of the Light" from Dungeon #84, which was apparently originally written using AD&D 2nd Edition rules and converted to 3E. (This is an assumption on my part, based on the large number of creatures in the adventure that appeared in 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium Annuals.)

Johnathan

Gez

First Post
Grazzt said:
Knight's method is the way to go. Just use the Winged template. Or if you dont have that book, simply give the monster a set of wings and a fly speed of say 40 feet or so and a manueverability of average or poor. And there ya go.

Don't even need to give them a set of wings. They have one. They just need it to be functionnal. Like ostrichs.

Richards

Legend
Actually, the winged owlbear has a distinct set of wings separate from its front limbs (those that sport a healthy set of bear claws). It's built rather like a griffon in that regard. The image of an owlbear flying through the air by flapping its winged front legs seems just a bit too comical to me.

Johnathan

Albert_Fish

First Post
The 2E Winged Owlbear was a bit more powerful than the original Owlbear. i suppose i could just bump up the damage dice by a die type ( same think 2E did it seems).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads