• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fochlucan Lyricist

glass

(he, him)
Rystil Arden said:
I totally agree with you. I might even add a third never: I would never, never, NEVER(!) allow a magic item ability to qualify you for a PrC requirement. However, some GMs do, and some people think that it is RAW (I personally think RAW says otherwise). If you want to see the people who disagree, you could always start up a thread in the rules forum, and they will come :D
In fact, there is one going on as we speak!

glass.

shilsen

Adventurer
JRRNeiklot said:
Yep. They don't even have to lose the ring. A targeted dispel magic would do the job. Blip! All your abilities gone for a while. Enjoy!
Or you're crawling down a narrow tunnel, or you've been affected by a hold person spell ... and so on :)

Zappo

Explorer
It hasn't come up, but I would allow someone to use an item to qualify for a PrC. Oh, the fun I could have with such a character. :]

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
... off-topic, but why is there still a Druidic language at all?

It doesn't make sense in-game, and it doesn't matter meta-game. What's the point?

shilsen

Adventurer
Korimyr the Rat said:
... off-topic, but why is there still a Druidic language at all?

It doesn't make sense in-game, and it doesn't matter meta-game. What's the point?
Why do you think it doesn't make sense in-game?

Aaron L

Hero
Sure it makes in game sense for a class to have a secret language. Heck, you could have "rangerish" and "barbarese" if you wanted to, and there wouldnt be anything wrong with it.

Druids are an order of priests who use a secret language to communicate... secrets to each other. Heck, weve several times in game made secret languages that only our characters and those we taught knew.

fiddy

First Post
Assuming that druids use the druidic language to write things down (rather than just being spoken), I would think that a non-druid with a sample of such writing that is able to make an appropriate Decipher Script check (not sure of the DC, maybe 30?) should be able to take the language without having a druid teach them.

At least that's one possibility that I would allow if a player ever asked.

Last edited:

fnork de sporg

First Post
Or you could just disguise yourself as a druid and hang around them a bunch.

Or kidnap a druid, keep him in your basement, and forcibly read his memories.

Or scry on a druid's grove and watch them in action.

Or cast Comprehend Languages on yourself and make a rosetta stone.

Or a thousand other possible ways. Yeah, and it does seem strange that all druids of all species from all worlds of all alignments all speak the same language. Especially since there's no real justification given for it in the class. It's just there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads