• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fochlucan Lyricist

Rystil Arden

First Post
fnork de sporg said:
Does anyone have any experience with this Prestige Class in actual play? How is it? Is it underpowered? Overpowered?
The Prestige Class is extremely powerful, but it is perfectly balanced by the harsh prerequisites so long as you are careful to disallow cheesy backdoors to get into the class (for instance, Wizard + Ring of Evasion + Harper Mage + Speak Language (Druidic))

sukael

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
The Prestige Class is extremely powerful, but it is perfectly balanced by the harsh prerequisites so long as you are careful to disallow cheesy backdoors to get into the class (for instance, Wizard + Ring of Evasion + Harper Mage + Speak Language (Druidic))

Actually, you can't take a rank of Speak Language in druidic. The only way to ever gain the language is by taking at least one level in druid.

Xath

Moder-gator
I've been wanting to play one of these for quite a while. To me, the PrC looks powerful, but it's balanced by the fact that you have to multiclass to get there. So until you hit 10th level, you're really underpowered.

Rystil Arden

First Post
sukael said:
Actually, you can't take a rank of Speak Language in druidic. The only way to ever gain the language is by taking at least one level in druid.
You'd think that, and indeed, that is how I rule as a GM. However, the PH never actually says that you can't do it. Notice I said it was a cheesy back door ;) It's actually no worse than the silly argument that you can qualify with a Ring of Evasion

kenobi65

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
However, the PH never actually says that you can't do it.

P. 82, under Speak Languages:

Language / Typical Speakers / Alphabet
Druidic / Druids (only) / Druidic

p. 35, under Bonus Languages:

"A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids. {snip} Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids."

Seems pretty clear to me that the book says you can't. The only way that this is a "cheesy back door" is if the DM's willing to let you break the rule.

Rystil Arden

First Post
kenobi65 said:
P. 82, under Speak Languages:

Language / Typical Speakers / Alphabet
Druidic / Druids (only) / Druidic

p. 35, under Bonus Languages:

"A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids. {snip} Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids."

Seems pretty clear to me that the book says you can't. The only way that this is a "cheesy back door" is if the DM's willing to let you break the rule.
Yes, but the book does not say that it is impossible to learn it if you aren't a Druid, just that they are forbidden to teach it to non-Druids. If someone with maxed ranks in disguise (perhaps a Cleric with Trickery domain) disguises himself as a druidic initiate who is supposed to be learning the language in game, some GMs will let him pick it up, and the book doesn't say you can't. Now, personally as the GM, I put my foot down and say that you have to actually cast as a druid to take the class.

Speaking of which:

It's actually no worse than the silly argument that you can qualify with a Ring of Evasion

Maybe this is a RAW rule I just never noticed (?), but I would never, NEVER allow a magic item ability to qualify you for a PrC requirement. Heck, I wouldn't even want that if I were the player, since I wouldn't want to lose all of my class abilities if some thief swiped my ring while I was asleep.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Maybe this is a RAW rule I just never noticed (?), but I would never, NEVER allow a magic item ability to qualify you for a PrC requirement.

I totally agree with you. I might even add a third never: I would never, never, NEVER(!) allow a magic item ability to qualify you for a PrC requirement. However, some GMs do, and some people think that it is RAW (I personally think RAW says otherwise). If you want to see the people who disagree, you could always start up a thread in the rules forum, and they will come :D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The funny thing is that although the Ring of Evasion allows you to qualify for the class, you lose all the class abilities when the Ring doesn't work. :)

Cheers!

Remove ads