Anyone played Masks of Nyarlathotep?

TheSword

Legend
I’ve read the Peru section. Wow. That is pretty dark stuff!

Reads brilliantly though.
I wonder how much of the feedback in the thread is from older editions because there seems to be a lot of advice in the substantial introduction to the 7e version about survivability, local customs, law enforcement, sanity etc.

Don’t get me wrong. It suggests having a back up character but it specifically calls out killing every player as a bad idea.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
I wonder how much of the feedback in the thread is from older editions because there seems to be a lot of advice in the substantial introduction to the 7e version about survivability, local customs, law enforcement, sanity etc.

Don’t get me wrong. It suggests having a back up character but it specifically calls out killing every player as a bad idea.
Good assumption that the older editions were what most played -- it has been given much love and expansion in the most recent edition.

TheSword

Legend
Good assumption that the older editions were what most played -- it has been given much love and expansion in the most recent edition.
A lot of love. I have a very old pdf knocking about somewhere and comparing the two the reprint is gorgeous.

I know I’ve seen some comments in other threads that TTRPG books should resemble technical manuals. But my god these books are fun to read as the DM.

Last edited:

The 7e version is what I ran. Its gourgeous. There’s a 400 page supplemental fan made pdf out there with a ton more information on local color and other advice.

I ran it pulp style in SWADE so I went into with the idea that a bunch of stuff would be resolved with two fisted punching and gunfire. That said the investigation still mattered and I ran with some Gumshoe ethos. Never hide the clues that move it forward. Extra investigation makes things easier or lets you short cut obstacles.

TheSword

Legend
The 7e version is what I ran. Its gourgeous. There’s a 400 page supplemental fan made pdf out there with a ton more information on local color and other advice.

I ran it pulp style in SWADE so I went into with the idea that a bunch of stuff would be resolved with two fisted punching and gunfire. That said the investigation still mattered and I ran with some Gumshoe ethos. Never hide the clues that move it forward. Extra investigation makes things easier or lets you short cut obstacles.
It’s great reading adventures that are character, event and motivation driven even when they involve
lots of combat. Rather than kick down this door and kill the things inside. Search for treasure. Repeat. The funny thing is I would enjoy D&D more of it adopted this more ‘modern’ approach (even though MoN is from 1984)

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
It’s great reading adventures that are character, event and motivation driven even when they involve
lots of combat. Rather than kick down this door and kill the things inside. Search for treasure. Repeat. The funny thing is I would enjoy D&D more of it adopted this more ‘modern’ approach (even though MoN is from 1984)
Yep, there's no reason D&D couldn't do more of this in their adventures, and there are some cases where they in fact did (with mixed success). RuneQuest or even Stormbringer (also by Chaosium) is fantasy done with more of this kind of approach, which is why we love those so much.

General_Tangent

Adventurer
A lot of love. I have a very old pdf knocking about somewhere and comparing the two the reprint is gorgeous.

I know I’ve seen some comments in other threads that TTRPG books should resemble technical manuals. But my god these books are fun to read as the DM.
The 7E is a vast improvement not only in terms of layout but diversity as well. Some of the characters have been renamed to move away from a slightly racist angle.

There are a couple of things that weren't fixed during the update process, one of the NPCS is still missing the name for his deceased wife and there is a date for a funeral which isn't in any of the handouts that the players are given.

General_Tangent

Adventurer

The Masks of Nyarlathotep companion that was Kickstarterted has over 740 pages and when combined with the campaign book in general takes it to over 1,000 pages!

Thauramarth

Explorer
My group plays mostly Call of Cthulhu in various incarnations (20s CoC, Delta Green, Cthulhu Invictus), so we're quite experienced, and we like the investigative part. We started playing MoN around five years ago, and got to Egypt. As written, it's quite hard. We never moved on (Pandemic, etc.). I was a player in the campaign.

My friend and I take turns GMing (separate campaigns, not a single campaign), and I like the idea of one day trying to run MoN. I just finished a campaign set around Vladivostok during the Russian Civil War, that I've run over the course of three years (GM'ing about half of our playing sessions over that time, about 3-4 hours per week), and I've planted some seeds that made the players go, "ho ho ho, are you planning to run MoN on us one day". I've used Jackson Elias as an NPC (he's there to do research for one of his books, and he's been of assistance to the PCs in their adventures), an appearance by Bradley Grey, and some references to the Carlyle family (one of the players developed a New York socialite background for his character, and I threw in familiarity with the Carlyle family). I've planted a contact with an Imperial Japanese Navy officer that would be their NPC contact in the last parts of MoN, and some other namedropping.

My hope is to move on to a heavily customised mixture of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and Day of the Beast, with some elements of those campaigns already included as asides in the Vladivostok campaign. Provided at least part of the investigators survive that, and if we're all still alive and playing by then, I might give MoN a shot, with, by then, veteran investigators who already have ties to some of the seeds of MoN. Not sure if we'll ever make it that far, but I can but hope.

As a player in MoN, I agree that there seems to be a requirement for a lot of firepower; our GM has considered that, too. Our Investigators were not necessarily the best fighters, so the GM allowed us opportunities to hire additional muscle (for that, he stipulated that he wanted one of the PCs to be a rich New Yorker, both to have access to finance, and to have an initial link with the Carlyles). Our GM also used a system of "spoof points", where, as part of the adventure, we got spoof points as a reward, which we could use to re-roll a particularly critical die roll. That did help with survival rates.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
My hope is to move on to a heavily customised mixture of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and Day of the Beast, with some elements of those campaigns already included as asides in the Vladivostok campaign.
I finished running Shadows of Yog-Sothoth maybe a year or so ago and heavily customized would be the way to go. The connective tissue between the adventures is pretty tenuous and thin and can be easily missed. As classic CoC campaigns go I would rate Shadows pretty much behind all the others.

Remove ads