D&D 5E Folding Constitution into Strength

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So just a random thought; what impact would folding Constitution into Strength have?
Obviously we're killing a sacred cow (and even now all the format icons are glitching out in protest :p), but asides from that...

Some things that kinda make sense:
  • Health becomes dependant upon Strength.
  • Likewise, resisting disease becomes a Strength saving throw/check.

Some things that don't:
  • Concentration becomes a Strength check.

I'm sure there are others but alas, I cannot think of them at this moment.

Fanaelialae

Legend
So just a random thought; what impact would folding Constitution into Strength have?
Obviously we're killing a sacred cow (and even now all the format icons are glitching out in protest :p), but asides from that...

Some things that kinda make sense:
  • Health becomes dependant upon Strength.
  • Likewise, resisting disease becomes a Strength saving throw/check.

Some things that don't:
  • Concentration becomes a Strength check.

I'm sure there are others but alas, I cannot think of them at this moment.

It's an interesting change from a rules POV, which makes Strength as good as Dexterity.

That said, it doesn't make much sense to me.

• Why would your health be dependent on the size of your muscles? I've known skinny people who were very healthy (had lots of endurance). I've also known guys who were naturally strong but overweight and out of shape (to the tune where the same guy who lifted a 400 lb block of concrete that I couldn't budge would get winded trudging up stairs that I regularly sprinted up). So I don't see any real correlation between the two. Sure there are people who are both strong and healthy, but the same could be said of any other combination (strong and intelligent).
  • It doesn't make sense to me that resisting a disease is dependent on the size or tone of your muscles.
  • The one place this does work for me is encumbrance, since it makes sense that endurance would be as much of a factor as sheer power when carrying heavy objects long distances.

Rules-wise I think it's fine, perhaps even an improvement. However from the stance of verisimilitude, it's kind of weird to me.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Well that's because Strength obviously doesn't represent just muscles (at least, any more) :p

Right, but if you fold them together you create a 1:1 relationship that didn't exist before. Previously, if you increased Strength it would not increase Constitution. However, if I increase this new Strentitution stat, then I get healthier as I get stronger.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Ummm... (sympathetic) Magic? :p

Of course, a wizard did it! ;)

I'm obviously not saying don't do it. From a rules perspective I can't think of anything that would break as a result, although it will make Fighters effectively SAD (and therefore a bit more potent). Probably not enough to break anything though. Just expect the warrior types to have more hp than you normally would. Obviously, if you use point buy, you'll want to tweak it to account for having only 5 ability scores (22 or 23 points should be fine).

Fanaelialae

Legend
Come to think of it, you'll also need to change the ability score bonuses for the Mountain Dwarf and the Half Orc (because +4/+3 to Strentitution is a bit too much).

jgsugden

Legend
It just doesn't make sense. There are very strong people that are in very poor health, and there are a lot of people who don't have a lot of muscle that are in very good health. As it is, Constitution is one of the most highly raised bility scores in the game, even though it doesn't drive the abilities of any of the classes directly. Strength is also focused upon classes that engage in melee combat, especially if they're going to focus on very large melee weapons. Each ability score has a place and it is well utilized in that place.

Horwath

Legend
Come to think of it, you'll also need to change the ability score bonuses for the Mountain Dwarf and the Half Orc (because +4/+3 to Strentitution is a bit too much).

All dwarfs would then be +2 str, +1 wis

Halforc could be +2 str, +1 to any other ability(to represent human part)

But, in general it is great idea.

Now constitution is more or less 14 by default. You see 12 or 16 here and there, very rarely 18 and almost never 10 or 20.

Horwath

Legend
It's an interesting change from a rules POV, which makes Strength as good as Dexterity.

That said, it doesn't make much sense to me.

• Why would your health be dependent on the size of your muscles? I've known skinny people who were very healthy (had lots of endurance). I've also known guys who were naturally strong but overweight and out of shape (to the tune where the same guy who lifted a 400 lb block of concrete that I couldn't budge would get winded trudging up stairs that I regularly sprinted up). So I don't see any real correlation between the two. Sure there are people who are both strong and healthy, but the same could be said of any other combination (strong and intelligent).
  • It doesn't make sense to me that resisting a disease is dependent on the size or tone of your muscles.
  • The one place this does work for me is encumbrance, since it makes sense that endurance would be as much of a factor as sheer power when carrying heavy objects long distances.

Rules-wise I think it's fine, perhaps even an improvement. However from the stance of verisimilitude, it's kind of weird to me.

Just make strength describe overall physical ability both power and endurance.

If some one is above average in endurance in comparison to strength that can be described by proficiency in str saves or advantage on certain type of str saves(i.e. long distance running, swimming, staying awake etc...)

Remove ads