• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fonts

variant

Adventurer
Where does everyone get their fonts for logos and such?Any legalities I should know before using a font in a book or embedding it in a pdf?

My Fonts has some great fonts.

The legality is pretty straightforward. Every font comes with a license of some sort. Generally, when you purchase fonts, you will get a license to use them. AS for free fonts, it varies by company. Some let you use them in commercial products, some don't.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Please, whatever you do, don't use recognizable commercial fonts (for movies, etc.).

I keep seeing banner ads and products from ePublishers using extremely recognizable fonts like the Harry Potter title font, the various Star Trek fonts, even the title font from Predator. It's lazy work, and more than a little bit amateurish.

EP

First Post
variant said:
Free fonts? I would figure any fonts that are free, are under some restricted license.

I've checked the site and there's nothing listed on there about licenses, restricted use, or anything. There are a few links on there connecting to OTHER sites that do, so as long as you download directly from 1001 Free Fonts, you should be fine.

There is also a download of almost 4000 fonts (which is actually counting all bold, italic, and other minor alterations) for $9.99. If you find yourself using them a lot, I'd say go for it. The site's great because it's good for PCs and Macs, but finding the right one is a very time consuming process. They don't always seem to work, but the odds are still good.

EP

First Post
variant said:
Free fonts? I would figure any fonts that are free, are under some restricted license.

Found something on the FAQ page...

"The majority of fonts on this website are freeware, but a small percentage are shareware so if you decide to keep any shareware fonts please register them. Registration information can be found on the readme.txt file attached."

So it's on a case-by-case basis, but most of them are license free!

reanjr

First Post
GMSkarka said:
Please, whatever you do, don't use recognizable commercial fonts (for movies, etc.).

I keep seeing banner ads and products from ePublishers using extremely recognizable fonts like the Harry Potter title font, the various Star Trek fonts, even the title font from Predator. It's lazy work, and more than a little bit amateurish.

You mean like Sony uses the Spiderman font for PS3?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads