Food question

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
:lol:

Then by that argument, couldn't you say sugar doesn't spoil? It just gets moist and clumpy. (at least, to my knowledge)

I suppose it makes sense that sugar doesn't spoil, though, since honey doesn't either...

Jdvn1 said:

Then by that argument, couldn't you say sugar doesn't spoil? It just gets moist and clumpy. (at least, to my knowledge)

I suppose it makes sense that sugar doesn't spoil, though, since honey doesn't either...

Sugar is organic. It just doesn't really look like it. Salt is a rock with delusions of organicy... :)

joe b.

Goblyn

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:

My point. A broken escalator is usable as stairs, but as far as escalators go, it's broken.

escalator? escalater? escalatar? ... I'm too lazy to check.

buzzard

First Post
While I suppose it won't last forever, beef jerky can have a mighty long life. I also have found hot sauce to be pretty immune to time, though that is only relatively short term (few years).

buzzard

Ranger REG

Explorer
Not to hijack the food thread, especially when the topic is about spoilage(?)...

Though I cook a lot -- mainly either prepackaged or canned -- I'm a newb when it comes to using herbs and spices. So what are the DO's and DON'Ts about using them and/or mixing them? What herbs and/or spices are good with certain food or dish? What are bad for certain food or dish? Which spices should never go together in any certain dish?

the Jester

Legend
They may not be natural, but I have heard that you can bury a maraschino cherry and come back for it years later and it will be fine.

Also, twinkies.

buzzard

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Not to hijack the food thread, especially when the topic is about spoilage(?)...

Though I cook a lot -- mainly either prepackaged or canned -- I'm a newb when it comes to using herbs and spices. So what are the DO's and DON'Ts about using them and/or mixing them? What herbs and/or spices are good with certain food or dish? What are bad for certain food or dish? Which spices should never go together in any certain dish?

I'd say there are no rules to this really. It's all a matter of taste.

A couple pointers I can offer:
Tarragon is only good on chicken
Rosemary is pretty strong (easy to get overpowering)
oregano is pretty subtle, and can go in most anything to enhance flavor in small quantities.
Garlic(fresh) can easily be overcooked and become bitter. This is especially an issue when sauteing.
Fresh ground pepper is much stronger than pre ground.
Crushed red pepper varies wildly in strength, make sure to test it.
Bay leaves are very important in many recipes. Don't skip them.

I've never had any bad spice interactions, so I don't expect you will either. Any particular advice I gave about what spices would work with what foods would be extremely subject to my taste. While most people I know consider me a good cook, that doesn't mean I'm necessarily your correct guide. I find that I can get away with the spices I like on most foods I like. For example, if I want to give something a Cajun bent, I hit it with garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, oregano, thyme, and some bay leaf. This will make something taste pretty cajun, and I have used it on chicken, fish, or pork (bay leaves often have to be skipped if you aren't stewing, the rest work fairly well in the absense).

Best advice I could give in general is watch some Good Eats. I don't always agree with his recipes, the but the science is always interesting and the techniques are useful.

buzzard

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Honey is actually so un-spoilable that you can use it to dress wounds. Just dab on some honey and cover with a clean bandage. It won't allow for bacteria (infection) because it's so dry, and it will also pull the moisture out of the wound, so it heals more cleanly.

reveal

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:

Air and light are a spices worst enemy. Keep them in an airtight container and out of the light to make them last longer.

Remove ads