• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For Anime Fans-Your ideas about an "Anime Tarot"

TwinBahamut said:
Yeah, you are right. The real question now is what female character in anime would be a good match for Char as the Empress? Haman Karn is the only woman who can match Char's presence in the UC series, but she isn't exactly very motherly, and most of the other significant and interesting female leaders and pilots in the various Gundam series are in Gundam SEED, and don't have as much wisespread recognition as Char.

Definitely not Haman. Not really any other female in the series that would really fit it, though some of the secondary characters from Zeta could have a case made for them, maybe. Not really sure on Empress...

The RX-78 looks silly. :p The first Gundam's design really suffers from being the first real-robot lead mecha... The mass-produced RX-79s and the Gundam Mk-II look a lot better, even though they are intended to be virtually identical to the RX-78, simply because they are drawn in a more appropriate art style.

You, sir, are a horrible person with no soul. :p

And seeing mention of the SDF-1, that could definitely be another good choice for Chariot.

Merlion

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
There is a distressing lack of Haruhi Suzumiya in this list... I guess she would be The World, maybe?

I've only seen one episode of that series, so I can't really say. However, Lain as The World is pretty much the first anime/tarot atribution that came to me, and quite a nice fit.

I was just thinking... Aura from .hack is pretty much the ultimate "The World" figure, even ignoring the pun. Also from .hack, either Haseo or Tri-Edge/Kite/Azure Flame God would be a good The Death, but that would be better for more of a .hack or videogame tarot deck.

Yea, I'd say Aura would almost certainly be my second choice as The World. Her and Lain do have some things in common anyway

I see Bear as The Hermit. Not bad, but if you want a .hack character for The Hermit, I think Phyllo from .hack//Roots is a better match.

I've only seen a couple episodes of Roots so far, unfortunately. My initial thought had been Tsukasa as the Hermit, then I realized he has only a few similarities...and then I realized Bear matches at least two of the Hermit's associated concepts.

With all the attributions of The Fool as a place of begining, a young man deliberatly walking off a cliff, and future potential, it pretty much is required that a stereotypical Shonen anime main hero is The Fool. I nominate Naruto Uzumaki

A great many of the male protaganists in anime could be used to represent The Fool. Gene Starwind, Tenchi, Shinji Ikari, Ayato Kamina etc..I've only seen a few Naruto episodes, but that does sound like a good fit as well. As I was thinking ove FLCL characters, Ta-Kun just sprung out at me.

Lil'Slugger is a great devil.

I thought it was a good fit. Maromi could really play the role as well, and really Maromi would be my first choice as The Moon, but I didnt want three from one series.

The High Priestess is a tough one. Silence, wisdom from the unconscious, contemplation, mystery... I guess any of the classic anime heroine who mysteriously offers or obtains secret information. Melfina from Outlaw Star is a better fit than Twilight Suzuka, really. I wonder if there is anyone more iconic... Hitomi from Escaflowne, maybe?

I thought about Melfina, but she just doesnt seem to have quite the maturity...many of the secrets she knows, she doesnt really know...she is a vessel of things she doesnt even understand.

I've not seen Escaflowne. This one is definitely a toughy.

You need a motherly (and probably beautiful) figure for The Empress

Motherly, yes. I dont think beautiful really matters...thats one of the reasons I choose Ubaba. She is a mother....and the Empress is also about gestation, shaping and giving birth in general...and she helps Chihiro to basically "grow up". It works even better if you see her and Zaniba as two halves of the same person.

I am tempted to say Mai from Mai-HiME would be a good match (though paired with Kagutsuchi, she would be a great Strength).

Thats another one I'm not familiar with.

A powerful, ruling or fatherly figure is needed for The Emperor. Holland from Eureka 7, or Quattro Bajeena (Char Aznable) from Zeta Gundam are the closest matches I can think of, but maybe a main character would be better?

I'm not familiar with any of those...I choose Kambei because he is a mature male leader and strategist. Another that would occur to me would be Gendo Ikari.

The Heirophant is another tough one. I never saw Haibane-Renmei, so I don't know your example... The Third Hokage from Naruto wouldn't be bad (though this makes me wonder if a full Naruto deck can be constructed).

The Washi (AKA, the Haibane-Renmei Communicator) is pretty much a direct analogue for the Heirophant...however I had considered going ironic and casting Genjo Sanzo from Saiyuki.

For The Lovers, you just need a great anime couple, probably from some anime in which the romance is the point of the whole thing. Miyaka and Tamahome from Fushigi Yugi, for example.

The Lovers isnt always actually about Lovers...its strongly associated with choices, options etc as well. Also, in some earlier versions it depicted a man choosing between 2 women. My Anime-ization is based more on that version. I think I have Fushigi Yugi on my netflix, havent seen it yet though.

The Chariot must be a Gundam. Not a Gundam pilot, just a Gundam. Nothing else in anime fits so well.

I havent seen Gundam at all. Your right of course that a mecha is an obvious choice..Evangelion Unit 01 or the RahXephon would fit well also, from that perspective. However, in terms of the meaning of the Chariot card, something just told me to use Ban...his personality fits very well. It'd probably be pretty easy to do a Get Backers only Tarot.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Merlion, I am beginning to realize that you and I are both big anime fans, but we watch very different anime. Half of your examples are things I haven't seen, and few of my examples are things you have seen. This is going to be difficult...

Anyways, a few more ideas:

Justice would be a great Tarot to put the classic kind of distant, quiet, emotionless and logical girl that shows up a lot in anime. People like Ruri from Martian Successor Nadesico or Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Also, the classic android girl works well.

Anyways, I don't think RahXephon is a good Chariot. RahXephon, or rather, True Sacred RahXephon (both of them) is Judgement, the angel that sings forth the end of the world and final resolution and reconciliation. There are a few other mecha that can work for this (Ideon, Raideen, and the Evangelions, for example), but I think RahXephon does it the best. Real-Robots bring the temporary, clouded, military victory of Chariot, but it is for Super-Robots to bring in the final conflict of Judgement.

I am having a tough time figuring more out right now, but I might post some more ideas later.

Merlion

First Post
Alzrius said:
Keiichi and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess seem perfect. Any couple that's willing to defy God to stay together seems like a good pair for this card.

Despite what I said above, I agree they would be another excellent version of the Lovers, definitely.

As for the rest of the conversation so far, I'm not familiar with Gundam characters at all so I can't contribute too much. But here are some other ideas..

Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing, from Hellsing, as The Empress, or possibly the High Priestess.

Elan Vital, from Melody of Oblivion, as The Chariot.

Washu, from Tenchi Universe, as The Magician

Rei Ayanami from Evangelion, as Death and/or the High Priestess

Izumi Curtis, from Full Metal Alchemist as the High Priestess

Alphonse Elric from FMA as Temperance

Misato Katsuragi from Evangelion as The Empress

Merlion

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
Merlion, I am beginning to realize that you and I are both big anime fans, but we watch very different anime. Half of your examples are things I haven't seen, and few of my examples are things you have seen. This is going to be difficult...

Anyways, a few more ideas:

Justice would be a great Tarot to put the classic kind of distant, quiet, emotionless and logical girl that shows up a lot in anime. People like Ruri from Martian Successor Nadesico or Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Also, the classic android girl works well.

Anyways, I don't think RahXephon is a good Chariot. RahXephon, or rather, True Sacred RahXephon (both of them) is Judgement, the angel that sings forth the end of the world and final resolution and reconciliation. There are a few other mecha that can work for this (Ideon, Raideen, and the Evangelions, for example), but I think RahXephon does it the best. Real-Robots bring the temporary, clouded, military victory of Chariot, but it is for Super-Robots to bring in the final conflict of Judgement.

I am having a tough time figuring more out right now, but I might post some more ideas later.

Yea your probably right about Judgement. The one I have is similar...the Moby Dick is a giant whale-shaped android set to destroy a planet at a predetermined time.

I had considered using Kenshin for Temperance, but I really wanted a female figure. Jubei Kakei from Getbackers would be a good Justice, as he's blind and extremely honorable...also Twilight Suzuka might work.

Rackhir

Explorer
Merlion said:
Motherly, yes. I dont think beautiful really matters...thats one of the reasons I choose Ubaba. She is a mother....and the Empress is also about gestation, shaping and giving birth in general...and she helps Chihiro to basically "grow up". It works even better if you see her and Zaniba as two halves of the same person.

Maetel from Galaxy Express 999 would fit perfectly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Express_999

Merlion said:
I havent seen Gundam at all. Your right of course that a mecha is an obvious choice..Evangelion Unit 01 or the RahXephon would fit well also, from that perspective. However, in terms of the meaning of the Chariot card, something just told me to use Ban...his personality fits very well. It'd probably be pretty easy to do a Get Backers only Tarot.

The Ver Ka (For Katoki Hajime a mecha designer) is a very nice update of the classic RX-78 design. It takes what I always thought was a fairly bland design and adds a lot of personality and detail to it.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN914215

Merlion

First Post
Rackhir said:
Ataru Moroboshi from Urusei Yatsura, might work for The Tower. He was born on a friday the thirteenth, on the unluckiest day of the Buddhist calendar. His parents broke a mirror on the way to the hospital. A black cat crossed their path, etc... In short about every bad omen possible happened to him. An irrepressible womanizer, he has a girl friend/wife who zaps him with 100,000 volts of electricity every time he looks at another woman.

That does sound apropriate. Its just always weird having a person as the tower, thats why I did what I did.

Son Goku from Dragon Ball Z probably deserves a card in there somewhere. He's incredibly strong and powerful and always manages to find a way to win. He's also totally pure of heart. I don't know the cards well enough to know what he'd fit though.

Yea I'm not a real big DBZ fan, and I cant really think of a fitting card...I prefer the Goku from Saiyuki personally.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Thanks to someone mentioning Oh My Goddess, I started thinking that Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld would make a good Wheel of Fortune, if for no other reason than the fact that they are based off of the Norns of Norse myth, the Norse equivalent to Moirae of Greek myth, the Three Fates who determine the fate of mankind. Of course, I have only seen the movie, so I have no idea how well that applies to the anime versions.

Anyways, this thread has inspired me to actually write up a full Tarot set based on the .hack series. There is something of a depressing lack of .hack//SIGN characters, and a lack of characters who are unique to .hack//Roots, but other than that I think it covers the series well. I guess there are still some places I am uncertain of (such as Atoli and Blackrose's places, and a few spots like Justice, Wheel of Fortune, and The Tower), and some slots have alternates listed, but oh well, I might as well post it...

Also, beware that the following does contain a few spoilers for the .hack series, I guess.

.hack//Tarot

The Fool: Kite

The Magician: Blackrose

The High Priestess: Helba

The Empress: Mistral

The Emperor: Orca of the Azure Sea

The Hierophant: Lios

The Lovers: Elk and Mia/Endrance and Macha the Temptress

The Chariot: Balmung of the Azure Sky

Strength: Pai and Tarvos the Avenger

The Hermit: Wiseman/Yata and Fidchell the Prophet

Wheel of Fortune: Junichiro Tokuoka, Mai Minase, Yuki Aihara, and Kyoko Tonno

Justice: Alberio and Kamui, the Cobalt Knights

The Hanged Man: Zefie and Lycoris

Death: Haseo and Skeith the Terror of Death

Temperance: Sakubo and Gorre the Machinator

The Devil: Ovan of the Twilight Brigade/Morganna Mode Gone

The Tower: Ovan the Tri-Edge and Corbenik the Rebirth/AIDA

The Star: Kuhn and Magus the Propagation

The Moon: Shino/Kite the Azure Flame God

The Sun: Atoli and Innes the Mirage of Deceit

Judgement: Cubia the Hidden One

The World: Aura/Haseo Xth form and Skeith 3rd form

Last edited:

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I gave this some more thought.

The Lovers:

If you wanted to go with the Marseille tradition of having 1 male and two females then there is only one that comes to mind.

Kasuga Kyosuke, Ayukawa Madoka and Hiyama Hikaru from Kimagure Orange Road.

I know you can’t throw a rock without hitting a love triangle in Anime but this was always one of my favorites.

The Wheel of Fortune:

My choice here would be Lachesis, Clotho and Atropos from Five Star Stories.

Merlion

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
Thanks to someone mentioning Oh My Goddess, I started thinking that Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld would make a good Wheel of Fortune, if for no other reason than the fact that they are based off of the Norns of Norse myth, the Norse equivalent to Moirae of Greek myth, the Three Fates who determine the fate of mankind. Of course, I have only seen the movie, so I have no idea how well that applies to the anime versions.

Anyways, this thread has inspired me to actually write up a full Tarot set based on the .hack series. There is something of a depressing lack of .hack//SIGN characters, and a lack of characters who are unique to .hack//Roots, but other than that I think it covers the series well. I guess there are still some places I am uncertain of (such as Atoli and Blackrose's places, and a few spots like Justice, Wheel of Fortune, and The Tower), and some slots have alternates listed, but oh well, I might as well post it...

Also, beware that the following does contain a few spoilers for the .hack series, I guess.

.hack//Tarot

The Fool: Kite

The Magician: Blackrose

The High Priestess: Helba

The Empress: Mistral

The Emperor: Orca of the Azure Sea

The Hierophant: Lios

The Lovers: Elk and Mia/Endrance and Macha the Temptress

The Chariot: Balmung of the Azure Sky

Strength: Pai and Tarvos the Avenger

The Hermit: Wiseman/Yata and Fidchell the Prophet

Wheel of Fortune: Junichiro Tokuoka, Mai Minase, Yuki Aihara, and Kyoko Tonno

Justice: Alberio and Kamui, the Cobalt Knights

The Hanged Man: Zefie and Lycoris

Death: Haseo and Skeith the Terror of Death

Temperance: Sakubo and Gorre the Machinator

The Devil: Ovan of the Twilight Brigade/Morganna Mode Gone

The Tower: Ovan the Tri-Edge and Corbenik the Rebirth/AIDA

The Star: Kuhn and Magus the Propagation

The Moon: Shino/Kite the Azure Flame God

The Sun: Atoli and Innes the Mirage of Deceit

Judgement: Cubia the Hidden One

The World: Aura/Haseo Xth form and Skeith 3rd form

I'm only really familiar with .hack//SIGN, though I plan to get Roots from Netflix soon. I would say Subaru would make a good Empress, and I agree with Helba as The High Priestess. Its hard to say about Tsukasa, I could maybe see Mimiru as Strength. With Krym's personality, he'd probably make a good Chariot. The Silver Knight could concievably be The Hierophant, again due to his personality.

Remove ads