• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For Gawd's sake recommend something for me to read!

KaosDevice

Explorer
I am just not finding anything that intrests me. Every writer I like it seems as if I've devoured the body of work of (and in one case the body, but they couldn't prove it in court :p ). Can you guys give me some ideas of someone I might have missed?

Last edited:

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
Can you give us a hint of what things you have liked reading in the past? I'm sure if I started just recommending books I like, you may have read many of them.

One that few people have read and I loved but isn't fantasy is called, My Wicked Wicked Ways.

It is the autobiography of Errol Flynn but isn't at all a traditional hollywood tell-all type book. In fact the best part of it details his adventures before he even gets to Hollywood. He stole diamonds, was wanted for manslaughter, fought with native tribes etc.

Anyway that might be a change of pace, but it might not be what you were looking for.

KaosDevice

Explorer
Vonlok The Bold said:
Can you give us a hint of what things you have liked reading in the past? I'm sure if I started just recommending books I like, you may have read many of them.

Pretty much anything, scifi, fantasy, horror, crime anything but westerns and romance. :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
KaosDevice said:
Pretty much anything, scifi, fantasy, horror, crime anything but westerns and romance. :)

Try 'Perdido Street Station' by China Meiville. His work was suggested to me and after starting that book I went out and bought his next two ('The Scar', 'Iron Council') the same day. That good.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
The Bourne Identidy
The Bourne Supremecy
The Bourne Ultimatum

I liked these books. Nice spy action and the story is cool.

The Darkness that Comes. I am liking this book to.

RIPnogarD

First Post
Have you read "The Chronicles of Thoma Covenant the Unbeliever" yet? It's a double trilogy (6 books) written by Stephen R. Donaldson. (1978 copywrite)...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How about some... deep light fare for summer reading?

Peter David has written the Sir Apropos of Nothing trilogy - titles Sir Apropos of Nothing, Woad to Wuin, and Tong Lashing - dark, cynical comedy in a fantasy setting, with quite an anti-hero as the main character.

Similarly, something I thing ought to be required reading for adult gamers - Grunts by Mary Gentle. The whole war between dark and light, told from the orc's point of view.

ForceUser

Explorer
Read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Then read his book Collapse.

Or read Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Or Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Or Blowback or Sorrows of Empire by Chalmers Johnson.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads