• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For Queen and Country! A Space: 1889 Campaign [OOC]

Boddynock

First Post
He's starting to shape up in my head like a D&D Ranger - but not completely. I can't quite put my finger on it. And I would guess that the M&M system allows more flexibility anyway.

Tracking - yes.

Survival - yes.

Some spellcasting. Some of it related to nature. Some of it not.

Still not clear. Ah, well - I look forward to seeing your build. That may give me some more clarity.

Boddynock

Yellow Sign

Explorer
aussietw8.jpg

.........., Australian Jackaroo [75pp] PL 5:
Attributes 22pp + Skills 17pp [68 ranks] + Feats 16pp + Combat 14pp + Saves 6pp = 75pp

Attributes:
STR 14 [+2] DEX 16 [+3] CON 16 [+3] INT 10 [+0]; WIS 14 [+2] CHA 12 [+1];
22pp

Skills:
Climb 5 Ranks [+7]
Handle Animal 10 Ranks [+11]
Intimidate 6 Ranks [+7]
Language 1 Ranks (French)
Medicine 4 Ranks [+6]
Notice 8 Ranks [+10]
Profession (Ranch Hand) 8 Ranks [+10]
Ride 10 Ranks [+13]
Stealth 4 Ranks [+7]
Survival 8 Ranks [+10]
Swim 4 Ranks [+6]
17pp [68 ranks]

Feats:
Animal Empathy, Benefit (Working Class), Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 4, Minion 2 (Horse, Fanatical), Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Tough 2, Track.
16 pp

Combat:
Attack: +5
Damage: +2 (Fist), +3 (Knife), +7 (Double Rifle)
Defense: +4 (+1 Flat Footed)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
14 pp

Equipment:
Lever Action Rifle (DMG: +5, CRIT: 20, DMG DESCR: Ballistic, RNG INC: 50ft; SIZE: Large, AMMO: 12 [requires one standard action to reload 4 bullets], EQUIPMENT COST: 9)

Knife (DMG +1, CRIT 20, DMG DESCR: Piercing, RNG INC: 10 ft, SIZE: Tiny, EQUIPMENT COST: 3)

Bull Whip (DMG +2, Crit 20, Elongation 2 Ranks, DMG DESCR: Slashing, Size: Medium, Equipment Cost: 4

Light Revolver (DMG: +3, CRIT: 20, DMG DESCR: Ballistic, RNG INC: 30ft; SIZE: Small, AMMO: 6 [requires one standard action to reload three bullets], EQUIPMENT COST: 4)

Total Equipment Cost: 20

Saves:
Toughness: +5
Fortitude: +5
Reflex: +5
Willpower: +4
6pp

Here is your Austrilian Jackaroo. Sorry no occult powers. It just doesn't fit the setting for a cowboy to have them. Sorry.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Looks good, thanks. :)

As to no occult, that's OK. It's just a part of the Australian mythology that, if we spent time in the bush, we might learn some of the tribal wisdom of the Aboriginal people. :cool:

'Nock

doghead

thotd
Apologies for the lack of posting recently.

I think that I will go with the engineer, probably speciallising in transport engineering - trains, flying thingies, that sort of thing. Given the other characters, I think he should have some experience living rough; say a fair bit of his work is done on-site away from civilian centers. So he can handle a horse, and knows which end of a rifle or pistol is the dangerous one, and can make a camp fire. Enough that he won't be holding the others up. But we seem well endowed with out doors types, so perhaps an emphasis on knowledge and practical skills would be helpful.

I like the idea of a German, but if it makes things easier, party cohesion wise, an American would do as well. I think either a period of service in the Engineering Corps or a connection to a Industrialist family works nicely.

Physically quite ordinary. Can be charming if he wants too, a good manger of men. But perhaps not a hugely social animal. Perfers working on projects to tea parties and the theatre.

Travelling to Mars for work reasons.

thotd

Yellow Sign

Explorer
doghead said:
Apologies for the lack of posting recently.

I think that I will go with the engineer, probably speciallising in transport engineering - trains, flying thingies, that sort of thing. Given the other characters, I think he should have some experience living rough; say a fair bit of his work is done on-site away from civilian centers. So he can handle a horse, and knows which end of a rifle or pistol is the dangerous one, and can make a camp fire. Enough that he won't be holding the others up. But we seem well endowed with out doors types, so perhaps an emphasis on knowledge and practical skills would be helpful.

I like the idea of a German, but if it makes things easier, party cohesion wise, an American would do as well. I think either a period of service in the Engineering Corps or a connection to a Industrialist family works nicely.

Physically quite ordinary. Can be charming if he wants too, a good manger of men. But perhaps not a hugely social animal. Perfers working on projects to tea parties and the theatre.

Travelling to Mars for work reasons.

thotd

How about a German Engineer/Inventor? He could have some sort of wierd Steampunk device or gadget to start the game with. Any ideas on what you would like?

YS

Yellow Sign

Explorer
So far I have four characters.

Sir Franklin Blake, British Gentleman Adventurer (Falkus)
Daniel McMonagle, Irish Manservant (Torillan)
Bill Read, Australian Jackaroo (Boddynock)
Unnamed German Inventor?? (doghead)

I think I will go with that as our group of adventurers. Though I can take one more if someone shows an interest to play.

So why do your characters want to go to Mars???

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
I think I like the more practical association of Engineer rather than Inventor. At least, I think the character would call himself the former rather than the latter. A steampunk device sounds interesting, but I really don't have any idea as to what it would be. Some characters come to you pretty much fully formed, others are a bit more nebulous. This one is in the latter catagory. I'll give it some thought. If you want to add something in for plot reasons, that would be fine with me.

I imagin my character would be heading to Mars to work in one way or another.

thotd

Boddynock

First Post
Bill Read, jackaroo, has left the outback to travel the world. He bears a broken heart, and a determination not to return to his home until he has proven - both to himself and to the woman who rejected him - that he is better than the soft, ineffectual toff she is engaged to.

Having travelled through parts of Asia and Africa, he was en route to London when he got into a poker game with, among others, an entrepreneur who was headed to the Red Planet in search of the ultimate scheme. Although not normally a gambler, he found himself in a game with, literally, astronomical stakes - a ticket to Mars.

Bill also found himself very drunk - which might not have been a good idea, had it not made him reckless enough to risk everything on a single draw of the deck.

He won - and figured that Mars was as good a place as any to prove himself.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Graetz.gif

.........., German Engineer [75pp] PL 5:
Attributes 22pp + Skills 29pp [116 ranks] + Feats 8pp + Combat 12pp + Saves 4pp = 75pp

Attributes:
STR 12 [+1] DEX 12 [+1] CON 14 [+2] INT 18 [+4]; WIS 14 [+2] CHA 12 [+1];
22 pp

Skills:
Concentration 8 Ranks [+10]
Craft: Chemical 8 Ranks [+12]
Craft: Electronic 8 Ranks [+12]
Craft: Mechanical 10 Ranks [+14]
Craft: Structural 10 Ranks [+14]
Dipolmacy 6 Ranks [+7]
Disable Device 10 Ranks [+14]
Investigate 8 Ranks [+12]
Knowledge: Physical Sciences 10 Ranks [+14]
Knowledge: Technology 10 Ranks [+14]
Language 4 Ranks (French, English, Italian, Latin)
Notice 6 Ranks [+8]
Profession (Engineer) 10 Ranks [+12]
Search 8 Ranks [+12]
29 pp [116 ranks]

Feats:
Benifit (Gentry, Wealth 1), Equipment 1, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Master Plan
8 pp

Combat:
Attack: +3
Damage: +1 (Fist), +3 (Revolver)
Defense: +3 (+1 Flat Footed)
Initiative: +1 (+1 Dex)
12 pp

Equipment:
Light Revolver (DMG: +3, CRIT: 20, DMG DESCR: Ballistic, RNG INC: 30ft; SIZE: Small, AMMO: 6 [requires one standard action to reload three bullets], EQUIPMENT COST: 4)

Total Equipment Cost: 4

Saves:
Toughness: +2
Fortitude: +3
Reflex: +3
Willpower: +3
4 pp

Here is your German Engineer. I didn't have you start with an gadgets but with the inventor feat you have to ability to make them.

Falkus

Explorer
Blake, of course, would be headed to Mars as a new hunting ground that he hasn't had the pleasure of hunting at before.

Remove ads