For Want of a Nail (D&D - Any Edition)

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Hello, I am recruiting 6-8 Players for a D&D game. I have no specific rules for minimum postings but I’ll likely be posting 4-5 times a week and will have no qualms about fudging actions for characters who are absent.

It starts with a hoary cliche of a tavern, set in a wilderness frontier are on the boundaries of a human kingdom, with a mysterious "tomb" complex. The PC’s will begin exploring the complex, and then depending on the PC’s actions, there will be consequences that drive the campaign. I’m looking for relatively immersive play, but not too super serious.

Your character will have come to this tavern either upon an invitation from Tarrek, a gruff dwarf ho wants to setup an expedition to poke into the tombs for treasure, or feel free to improvise. But ultimately, you need to come to the tavern and be vaguely pointed towards the tombs.

Post a first level character proposal from any edition of D&D. (Including Pathfinder) Use any ability score generation you’d like, but you’ve got to roll the dice on this thread. I’d prefer not to have too many “exotics” and would really like 3-4 humans. I will pick a party based on my own biased, mercurial and subjective criteria. I’d like to see a mix of editions ideally.

What edition is this? All of them and none. This is a non-tactical game, I will be making damage conversions on the fly, and not restricting your actions to your feats and powers. If you choose and edition that emphasizes mechanics, I will adjudicate you as per that edition. If you chose a DM fiat edition, likewise. Ultimately, It’s really freeform, although I will try to be consistent and predictable in my ad hoc rulings.

Phaezen

First Post
Sounds like a fun experiment, or a mess.

AD&D 2nd Edition, using only the PHB. I will roll 4d6 drop the lowest in order and see what the dice say...

Rhun

First Post
Because I made him for a game, and never got to play him...Pathfinder Rules, 20-point buy.

ANUNDR VALKRSSON

Description
Anundr certainly stands out in a crowd. At six and a half feet tall, with broad shoulders and a body of iron-corded muscle, the northman towers over most folk. His youth, though, is all too apparent in his features, which most would consider handsome (if not accompanied by his gruff northern manner). He is fair of skin, and wears his blonde hair long, and dresses simply in the leathers and furs common to his homeland.

[sblock=Credit]Credit to Pixx73 at DeviantArt[/sblock]

Personality & Background
Born and raised in the isolated northern village of Haafinger (Solitude, in common), Anundr was raised quite simply. His family lived on the fringes of the community; as worshippers of Modi in a town where nearly the entire populace revered Woden, his family were often ridiculed for their beliefs. Thus, they eked out a meager living on the edge of town, growing their own crops, and hunting their own game. While not a pleasant life, it taught Anundr to be strong and self sufficient. Tilling earth and cutting would paid physical dividends, and the ridicule and shunning of the fellow villagers strengthened the young warrior’s determination and will to the point of stubbornness.

During Anundr’s eighteenth winter, sickness struck the village, and Anundr’s parents fell victim to its virulence. With nothing left to hold him in the place, Anundr packed his few belongings, and when the spring melt arrived, he left Haafinger.

Anundr has little besides his weapons, armor and clothing, coming from such a meager background. In fact, his last coppers were spent on food, drink, and a night’s stay at the tavern where he has so recently found himself.

Anundr Valkrsson
Chaotic Good Human Male
Barbarian 1

XPs:

Stats
Str 18 (+4) (10 points, +2 race)
Dex 14 (+2) (5 points)
Con 14 (+2) (5 points)
Int 12 (+1) (2 points)
Wis 10 (+0) (0 points)
Cha 08 (-1) (-2 points)

General
HP: 14 (12 [1st level] + 2 [con])
AC: 15 (10 base, +3 armor, + 2 dex
--- Touch AC 12
--- Flatfooted 13

Initiative: +4 (+2 dex, +2 trait)
Move: 40’ (40’ base)

Combat
BAB: +1
Melee: +5
--- Greatsword +6 (2d6+6/19-20)
--- Warhammer +5 (1d8+4 or 1d8+6/x3)
Ranged: +3
--- Throwing Axe +3 (1d6+4/x3)

Combat Maneuver Bonus: +5
Combat Maneuver Defense: 17

Saves:
Fort: +4 (2 base, + 2 con)
Ref: +2 (0 base, + 2 dex)
Wil: +1 (0 base, + 0 wis, +1 trait)

Skills:
- (7 total: 4 class, +1 human, +1 int, +1 favored class) -
Acrobatics +5 (1 rank, +3 trained, +2 dex, -1 ACP)
Climb +6 (1 rank, +3 trained, +3 str, -1 ACP)
Intimidate +3 (1 rank, +3 trained, -1 cha)
Knowledge (Nature) +5 (1 rank, +3 trained, +1 int)
Perception +4 (1 rank, +3 trained, +0 wis)
Survival +4 (1 rank, +3 trained, +0 wis)
Swim +5 (1 rank, +3 trained, +3 str, -2 ACP)

Languages:
- Common
- (Northman)
- Goblin

Feats:
- Weapon Focus: Greatsword (1st level)
- Power Attack

Traits
- Reactionary
- Indomitable Faith

Class Features:
- Fast Movement
- Rage (6 rage points)

Racial Features:
- +2 to One Ability
- Medium Size
- Normal Speed
- Bonus Skill Points
- Bonus Feat

Arms, Armor and Equipment:
- Studded Leather (25gp, 20lb)
- Greatsword (50gp, 8lb)
- Throwing Axe (8gp, 2lb)
- Warhammer (12gp, 5lb)
- Traveler’s Outfit (1gp, 5lb [worn])
- Backpack (2gp, 2lb)
--- Bedroll (1sp, 5lb)
--- Torches, 12 (12cp, 12lb)
--- Rope, 50’ hemp (1gp, 10lb)
--- Trail rations, 3 days (15sp, 4lb)
--- Waterskin (1gp, 4lb)
- Beltpouch (1gp, 0.5lb)
--- Chalk, 1 piece (1cp, ---)
--- Flint & Steel (1gp, ---)
--- Flask, (3cp, 1.5lb)

Last edited:

Phaezen

First Post
High Con, ok Wis, average rest....

Human Cleric it is then.

I'll put together a character sheet and post it here

Starting Gold is 3d6*10, so 120

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I get the feeling this is some sort of test inspired by 5E. I will bite, however.

I will go with the basic character in the well-defined system: a Pathfinder male human fighter.

Glock Greyshield, Male Human Fighter 1, Lawful Neutral; Str 17 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 10; Traits Defender of the Society, Rich Parents; Skills Ride 1 rank, Swim 1 rank; Feats Combat Reflexes, Iron Will, Stand Still; Equipment (900 gp) Field Plate 400, Tower Shield 30, Trident 15, Shortsword 10, Dagger 2, Backpack 2, Bedroll .1, Explorer's Outfit x2 10, Adventurer's Sash 20, Crowbar 2, Flint & Steel 1, 7 Days Rations 3.5, Hammer .5, Grappling Hook 1, Wooden Holy Symbol 1, Waterproof Bullseye Lantern 17, 7 Pints of Lamp Oil .7, 50 ft. Silk Rope 10, Sack .1, Waterskin 1, Whetstone .02, Heavy Warhorse 300, Military Saddle 20, Saddlebags 4, 44 gp 49 sp 22 cp

" Glock Greyshield " is the assumed name for the fifth son on a nobleman of some fortune. However, due to the arcane laws of inheritance prevailing in his homeland, he was endowed with a limited sum of money and cut loose to find his own fortune. After a short stint in the military, the traditional landing ground for people in his position, Glock resigned his commission and set out to find his way as a mercenary and adventurer. It was out of concern for his family's reputation that began travelling under the assumed name " Greyshield " ; Glock's new career is, of course, not the most reputable, an his loyalty is stronger than whatever resentment he felt when he was younger.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
It is sort of a test inspired by 5e. Kinda throw stuff together and bash it out. I'm actually gonna run the game the way I run every other RPG but D&D, to maybe try to shake up the way I think about D&D.

I will provide warning now. I am notorious for starting games and burning out fast. I'm on different meds now and this is less likely to happen, but this is a ridiculously ambitious experiment.

Rhun

First Post
I will provide warning now. I am notorious for starting games and burning out fast. I'm on different meds now and this is less likely to happen, but this is a ridiculously ambitious experiment.

That would normally be a concern, especially if I had put lots of time into a PC. But this character has already been in two games that died. So third times the charm, right? :)

Remove ads