D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Conandar

Explorer
* Warlcok Pact Magic should only scale to level 5 for spell slots

The generator is correct. The spell slots listed for 6th to 9th levels are for the Mystic Arcanum spells that a high level warlock gets.

* Devil's Tongue Tiefling is Missing the Enthrall Spell - instead darkness shows up (first page, active features)

Nice catch, I am sure this will be fixed in the next version.

Conandar

Explorer
I'm going to ask technical questionsabout a couple things way down in the weeds so feel free to ignore this completely.

I see that you replaced a huge number of VLOOKUP(...) functions with INDEX(...MATCH(...)) functions. Was this for increased performance or better compatibility with OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. or some other reason?

Also, I see a huge number of IF(ISERROR(a),b,a). Is there a performance or compatibility reason for not using IFERROR(a,b)?

Where are you seeing these things? As far as I know FA still has the "guts" of this generator protected, so unless you are working with him you should not be seeing things like this. As far as the choice of one over the other, every programmer has their own preferences and style, and they may or may not be "optimized". When I still programmed, my style shifted as I discovered new tricks and my preferences adjusted accordingly. (I programmed from '82 until '08, and the style and preferences were constantly changing. It makes working with legacy code a challenge, even if it your own old code!)

brooksgbanks

Explorer
I'm going to ask technical questionsabout a couple things way down in the weeds so feel free to ignore this completely.

I see that you replaced a huge number of VLOOKUP(...) functions with INDEX(...MATCH(...)) functions. Was this for increased performance or better compatibility with OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. or some other reason?

Also, I see a huge number of IF(ISERROR(a),b,a). Is there a performance or compatibility reason for not using IFERROR(a,b)?

Using Index/Match together allows for a slightly greater diversity than vlookup. With vlookup, you have to have the data you are using as the array reference must be in the 1st column of the array you are referencing. With index/match, the data you are using as the array reference can be in any column in that array. This allows you to use one larger array to handle multiple different indexing options that might use most of the same data.

Using If/Iserror as opposed to Iferror gives a bit more granularity of outcomes. With If/Iserror, you can specify what you want the outcome to be if the lookup is TRUE and if the lookup is FALSE. With Iferror, the formula assumes that the only outcome you care about is the FALSE condition, so that's the only output you'll be able to specify.

dunstvangeet

Explorer
As far as I know FA still has the "guts" of this generator protected, so unless you are working with him you should not be seeing things like this.
The protection on Microsoft Excel is so laughable that anybody with half a brain can get around it. I've done it many times to remove passwords from Excel documents. The Excel protection passwords are literally there so that people who don't want to mess with your stuff won't mess with your stuff. If you want to see the background of it, you can easily get around it.

Now, out of respect for ForgedAnvil, I will not tell anybody how.

Switched to index/match to make troubleshooting easier. Used vba to convert the formulas which has been the cause of more bugs then was expected.

Can we keep this thread focused on finding bugs in the current beta?

Version 2.28 BETA 4 RC

Firbolg size calculations seem to have changed from Height: 6' 10" +2d8 to 6' 2" +2d12, and Weight from 240 +2d8 *1d4 to 175 +2d12 *2d6

Barbarian/Ancestral Guardian Level 3 Primal Path Feature should be Ancestral Protectors (not Ancestrial)
Barbarian/Ancestral Guardian Level 10 Primal Path Feature should be Consult the Spirits (Consult With...)

Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 6 Primal Path Feature should be Storm Soul
Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 10 Primal Path Feature should be Shielding Storm
Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 14 Primal Path Feature should be Raging Storm
(all three are labeled Storm Aura)

Barbarian/Totem Warrior Level 3 Primal Path Features Spirit Seeker and Totem Spirit are missing entirely

Barbarian/Zealot Level 3 Primal Path Feature Divine Fury reports extra damage incorrectly
Barbarian/Zealot Level 6 Primal Path Feature should be Fanatical Focus (not Fanatical Force)
Barbarian/Zealot Level 10 Primal Path Feature Zealous Presence seems to have a stray I) in the description

Don't mean to pile on but I have an especial affinity for the Barbarian class.

Last edited:

Version 2.28 BETA 4 RC

Firbolg size calculations seem to have changed from Height: 6' 10" +2d8 to 6' 2" +2d12, and Weight from 240 +2d8 *1d4 to 175 +2d12 *2d6

Volo's guide says "Between 7 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 240 and 300 pounds" which doesn't leave a precise formula. While I think the new inputs don't add up, I'm going to hold off on changing this until I see a source that dictates the actual calculation. If you have a source, please provide.

Barbarian/Ancestral Guardian Level 3 Primal Path Feature should be Ancestral Protectors (not Ancestrial)
Barbarian/Ancestral Guardian Level 10 Primal Path Feature should be Consult the Spirits (Consult With...)

Fixed. Spelling is a strong point over here!

Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 6 Primal Path Feature should be Storm Soul
Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 10 Primal Path Feature should be Shielding Storm
Barbarian/Storm Herald Level 14 Primal Path Feature should be Raging Storm
(all three are labeled Storm Aura)

Fixed text and shorten some unnecessary wording.

Barbarian/Totem Warrior Level 3 Primal Path Features Spirit Seeker and Totem Spirit are missing entirely

Formulas were missing from last few versions. Fixed.

Barbarian/Zealot Level 3 Primal Path Feature Divine Fury reports extra damage incorrectly
Barbarian/Zealot Level 6 Primal Path Feature should be Fanatical Focus (not Fanatical Force)
Barbarian/Zealot Level 10 Primal Path Feature Zealous Presence seems to have a stray I) in the description

Fixed this and some formatting issues.

Don't mean to pile on but I have an especial affinity for the Barbarian class.

This is a safe place. No one gets kink-shamed here.

Remove ads