• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

darkdmon

Villager
Hey forgedanvil, just wanted to say that your excel sheet is THE BEST character creation tool i have seen in a long time, i and a loot of the guys here are love it.

We know that whit Out of the Abyss and Sword Coast being released so soon the you will have a lot of work to ad whatever classes races or subraces come in those books,

so i just wanted to say THANK YOU MAN, we truly APPRECIATE your hard work!!!!!!!!

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I've been using the Generator with OpenOffice 3 and it works just fine.
Haven't tried the most current version of OpenOffice, but I will...

Also, thanks for all the hard work FA. Your sheet is a real time saver.

EDIT
After fiddling with OO for a bit this morning, I can confirm the the generator doesn't work in the current versions of OpenOffice.
The most recent version I was able to get it to work in was 3.3.
(3.3 is available here: archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/stable/3.3.0/OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe)
I didn't test the sheet fully, so there may be issues I didn't observe.
I couldn't begin to figure out why OO chokes on the sheet.
Also, the transfer tool doesn't work.
Looks like I will be moving to another spreadsheet program :cool:

LibreOffice is a branch version of OpenOffice, apparently it is better (also free) and might be an option. Some users have mentioned it "mostly" works however there will always be limitations compared with Excel (in particular VBA). For me, having Office 365 is brilliant and not that costly at ~$6 USD per month for 1 year subscription - mind you I use office regularly so I get my moneys worth

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I'm using this character sheet generator in Libre Office, and it is awesome!
everything was working in 1.51
In 1.56, selecting a Class doesn't populate the bonus for saving throws, and any calculations depending on that are not complete.
Hoping that is a quick fix ;)

Thanks for the awesome work!

Thanks for the feedback of awesomeness!

The calculation for saving throws hasn't changed between 1.51 and 1.56(7). The formula that is used calculates if a user has selected the Option to use Proficiency Dice (On Start sheet) e.g. =IF(OptionProficiencyDice="•",AM19+AY19,AM19+AS19+AY19). There are a heap of named ranges (In this case OptionProficiencyDice) used in the tool so I'd be surprised this caused an issue. It's such as simple calc - why it would be causing issues I'm not sure.

I'd continue with 1.51 if it works and you're happy with it as is and you don't use the Character Transfer Tool. The Character Transfer Tool is unlikely to ever work in OpenOffice or LibreOffice as it uses some more advanced VBA programming.

If you want to access new awesome features in the latest version, then Excel (or Excel Mobile) is your option at the moment

For the best experience, Excel 2010-2016 is my recommendation.

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hey forgedanvil, just wanted to say that your excel sheet is THE BEST character creation tool i have seen in a long time, i and a loot of the guys here are love it.

We know that whit Out of the Abyss and Sword Coast being released so soon the you will have a lot of work to ad whatever classes races or subraces come in those books,

so i just wanted to say THANK YOU MAN, we truly APPRECIATE your hard work!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments, cool you appreciate and get value from the tool. Yeah, most likely a huge amount of work coming up with OotA and SCAG (funny acronym), will take awhile before a full release methinks.

Maerwynne

First Post
I'll boil it down a little then.

Is English not your first language? I can't see an issue with my grammar.

Please re-read what I wrote.

Are you willing release the password in the downloads description area?

You have stated that the password is in place to stop people from making mistakes. Is it also to preserve your intellectual property rights?

At this point Ryonez, I wouldn't be surprised if Forged stopped responding to you completely based on your behavior. It appears to me that he has answered your question very politely without being rude--something in which you have failed. Forged won't unprotect the workbook. He won't release the password. Let it go. Similarly to flwad, I will not comment further.

Last edited:

Egon

First Post
ForgedAnvil, I've been using the generator for a bit now, and it has been an immense help in learning the mechanics of 5E. However, there are some things I noticed when I downloaded 1.56 the other day.

1. Minotaur and Warforged are no longer on the Custom tab.
2. In fact, all the data on the Custom tab is gone. And no, I didn't reset the entire thing and have the "Reset Custom" box checked.
3. Storm Sorcerer is not an option for Sorcerous Origin.
4. 1st level Wizards have 6 spells in their spellbooks, but there is nothing to show this on the sheet. The spellcasting tab shows how many you can have prepared, but not how many you actually have access to.

All in all, this is a wonderful tool, and we are lucky to have someone like you creating and maintaining this. If you could just look at what I've put above and let me know if I'm right on or way off, that would be peachy!

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil, I've been using the generator for a bit now, and it has been an immense help in learning the mechanics of 5E. However, there are some things I noticed when I downloaded 1.56 the other day.

1. Minotaur and Warforged are no longer on the Custom tab.
2. In fact, all the data on the Custom tab is gone. And no, I didn't reset the entire thing and have the "Reset Custom" box checked.
3. Storm Sorcerer is not an option for Sorcerous Origin.
4. 1st level Wizards have 6 spells in their spellbooks, but there is nothing to show this on the sheet. The spellcasting tab shows how many you can have prepared, but not how many you actually have access to.

All in all, this is a wonderful tool, and we are lucky to have someone like you creating and maintaining this. If you could just look at what I've put above and let me know if I'm right on or way off, that would be peachy!

Thanks for the feedback!

1. The custom races were examples from the Example Character Zenith file, normally when I reset the test character I also reset the Custom sheet. You can check them all out in the Example Character Zenith file (which also has some cool example formula as well like the Handy Haversack weight limit, you can check out all formula used by going to Formulas > Show Formula in the ribbon menu)
2. See 1
3. Storm Sorcerer is from UA, so play test material that is in draft form. The detail from UA is planned to be implemented once officially released.
4. The detail is located in the Race, Background, Class and Feats details when you select a Wizard class under the Spellcasting bullet point

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil, it's a great creator, but is it possible to have a place to add custom subclasses or custom classes?

This one is asked a lot, for custom classes and subclasses, I've certainly considered this for a long time. The amount of work required to implement this feature (with full automation) is significantly more than implementation of the entire character sheet as you see it today. My plan at the moment is to wait for new classes (e.g. mystic) and subclasses (e.g. Artificer) to be released officially, Over time the number of classes and subclasses will increase, making customization even more challenging. At this stage I have no plans for customization of classes or subclasses.

Apollo7242

First Post
Ok, thanks ForgedAnvil...I was asking since I'm trying to make a class for a Power Ranger...the guys who "morph" into spandex with weapons and such...maybe just input on my own...

Remove ads