D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Ryonez

Villager
Thanks for getting back to me.

2. Ability bonus is used for the damage of some spell (e.g. add your spell ability bonus to the damage), for some class it is straight forward for others it can be either WIS, INT or CHA. I don't mind changing the stat to show your attack bonus instead. But again I typically use CSI for all attacks (melee, ranged, spell etc.) and reference the spell detail in CSII - for me this is a better way to calculate the spell attack bonus (particularly if you have a magic modifier to spell attack). For the Example Character Zenthi, the override is also a calculation (e.g. =Attack1bonus+2) when you look at the detail in the cell though it is now redundant due to some changes I made earlier - so now you can just use the Magic Modifier (+2) to calculate the spell attack total and no need to used the override.

2: I wouldn't worry about changing the stat. I also found out that I can use the bonus modifier underneath the "Weapon" cell. Is this the Magic Modifier you where referring too?

3. The cells you don't need to enter data in are protected, the cell you need to enter data in are unprotected and highlighted in yellow. The custom sheet is there to customize races, deities, backgrounds and spells. There are other overrides that enable other customizations. Most cells with specifics options have a drop down list (or you can enter in any value). There are not too many things that the user can do wrong and cause issue with the tool as it is designed.

3.Sorry, I may have asked the question wrong. I understand the use of protecting the cells that you don't need to directly modify. What I'm asking for is for the ability to look at how the Character Generator works. I usually learn what I can by seeing how others make things. It also means that I can figure things out myself. One example is that my character has been magical altered into a Tiefling. Now I'm no longer a proper Elf, but not fully a Tiefling. I know I can create a new custom class in the Character Generator, but not all of the fields make complete sense to me. If I had access to see how you did the cannon classes, I would have had it done in a hour. as it stands, it's been over a week.
So what I'm asking is can those of us who want to see how the Character Generator works please do so?

Cheers,
Ryonez

Maerwynne

First Post

3.Sorry, I may have asked the question wrong. I understand the use of protecting the cells that you don't need to directly modify. What I'm asking for is for the ability to look at how the Character Generator works. I usually learn what I can by seeing how others make things. It also means that I can figure things out myself. One example is that my character has been magical altered into a Tiefling. Now I'm no longer a proper Elf, but not fully a Tiefling. I know I can create a new custom class in the Character Generator, but not all of the fields make complete sense to me. If I had access to see how you did the cannon classes, I would have had it done in a hour. as it stands, it's been over a week.
So what I'm asking is can those of us who want to see how the Character Generator works please do so?

Cheers,
Ryonez

I'm going to get on a soapbox for a moment, then I will fade into the shadows.

I obviously can't speak for Forged, and I'm sure he (or she?) will respond to you, but I think this is asking too much from a publisher of a free worksheet. You're asking for Forged to handover all of his hardwork, which he does for free. Not too mention that giving out an unprotected worksheet leaves him open to the bound-to-be-innumerable, "I screwed up a protected cell and now I don't know how to fix it... help me!" problems. I've found this thread to have a lot of people asking, asking, asking and fewer genuine thank yous. I'm sure you do appreciate the worksheet--I bet almost everyone who downloads it does. But saying, "Thanks, but could you...." kind of depreciates the gratitude.

You are, of course, entitled to ask for whatever you like and Forged may feel differently, but I felt compelled to say my piece.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Minor bug report: When a Warlock selects the Eldritch Spear invocation, the range of the eldritch blast cantrip on Character Sheet III does not change to 300-ft, as it should. The Agonizing Blast invocation correctly updates the damage of eldritch blast, so it is odd that Eldritch Spear does not update the range.

Eldritch Blast + Eldritch Spear + Spell Sniper = impressive 600ft range, bug fixed for v1.57

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Great character sheet. Took me a little bit to fully understand how to use it. Once I did creating a character was quite easy. Amazing use of EXCEL!!!!

I would like to offer a couple of small changes that I think would help improve it as I am sure over time you will be improving it.

1. About a quarter of "Character Sheet IV" has adventure notes and you offer a full page for adventure notes on "Character Sheet V". I would like to recommend shrinking the size of adventure notes on "Character Sheet IV" or removing it completely since multiple sheets of "Character Sheet V" can be printed if needed. With the smaller adventure note section or lack of it on "Character Sheet IV" you can increase the Character Backstory and Allies & Organization sections.

2. In the Attack area of "Character Sheet I", I would like to recommend the properties section be formatted for "Wrap Text" allowing for more information to be placed in it.

Again outstanding work!!!!!

Danny

Thanks for the feedback, glad you're getting good value out of the tool.

1. I've updated CSIV to be high density as well, it currently looks like this (feedback welcomed here):

Character Sheet IV High Density.png

2. I'll look into changing to wrapped text (may need to adjust font size though) [UPDATE: Wrapping is now standard for Armor, Shield, and Attack property cells for CSI]

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
ForgedAnvil:

I think I found a bug. When you multi-class into sorcerer, the builder gives you 1 sorcery point when you are only 1st level Sorcerer. It shouldn't be granting Sorcery points until you are a 2nd level Sorcerer.

Bug fixed in v1.57, sorcerer points wil show at level 2 sorcerer or higher.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer

2: I wouldn't worry about changing the stat. I also found out that I can use the bonus modifier underneath the "Weapon" cell. Is this the Magic Modifier you where referring too?

Cheers,
Ryonez

2. Yep, use this for spell attacks

3. The protection is there to avoid changes that may cause the tool to no longer function as intended. Hence there will be no changes to protection of the tool.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Great builder, I've made countless characters with it. One thing I feel is missing however is the subclass of Storm origin Sorcerer from the UA: Waterborne adventures. I had interest in making a Goliath Storm Sorcerer. I'm not gonna say it made me like this builder any less, but it provoked me to come here and bring this up if it wasn't already noted. other things that are missing are from the UA: Ebberon, and UA: Mystic, which doesn't bother me as much because the classes are unfinished, and the races i can custom add in for me and my players. I just want to say thank you for all the hard work you put into this sheet and, if you have the time to read my comment, if you can throw an ETA as well.

Another possible idea is to add a custom subclass feature.

The UA material is considered draft and subject to change, similar to the playtest materials for D&D Next. I'm avoiding double work by implementing material from official released sources. I expect the material from UA to be released in official content in the future, at the point I plan to implement them.

As for custom classes and subclasses, I've certainly considered this for a long time. The amount of work required to implement this feature (with full automation) is significantly more than implementation of the entire character sheet as you see it today. My plan at the moment is to wait for new classes (e.g. mystic) and subclasses (e.g. Artificer) to be released officially, Over time the number of classes and subclasses will increase, making customization even more challenging. At this stage I have no plans for customization of classes or subclasses.

flwad

Explorer

I obviously can't speak for Forged, and I'm sure he (or she?) will respond to you, but I think this is asking too much from a publisher of a free worksheet. You're asking for Forged to handover all of his hardwork, which he does for free. Not too mention that giving out an unprotected worksheet leaves him open to the bound-to-be-innumerable, "I screwed up a protected cell and now I don't know how to fix it... help me!" problems. I've found this thread to have a lot of people asking, asking, asking and fewer genuine thank yous. I'm sure you do appreciate the worksheet--I bet almost everyone who downloads it does. But saying, "Thanks, but could you...." kind of depreciates the gratitude.

You are, of course, entitled to ask for whatever you like and Forged may feel differently, but I felt compelled to say my piece.

<On Soapbox> I am totally in agreement. THIS IS FA's SHEET and he has been exceptionally kind to share it with the rest of us. It is totally reasonable to ask FA for anything you feel would make the sheet better, especially bug fixes. FA has been incredibly responsive to this forum. I have asked for my share of attention, but I try to respect the amount of work FA has put in to this sheet. Work-arounds are the user's responsibility!!! FA has given useful ideas when they can be implemented without impacting the original sheet. FA has said he may unlock the protection for CSV, but that's FA's call. Based on today's 5:09 AM post by FA, he may not do that now. "The protection is there to avoid changes that may cause the tool to no longer function as intended. Hence there will be no changes to protection of the tool." At this point any further request for change of protections is in extremely bad taste. Be thankful for what FA has done. <Off Soapbox>

Thanks again FA

Ryonez

Villager

Thank you for speaking. I'd "counter" the 'asking for too much' by pointing to Linux. That's an entire operating system built around the idea of being open source. It has thrived and is constantly being improved by lots of people.
About gratitude, yeah, I agree. However, this bugs me. If I'm able to help resolve it then it's more helpful to speak up about it. Otherwise there is little to no chance for change.
I'll address the "help me!" problems below.

3. The protection is there to avoid changes that may cause the tool to no longer function as intended. Hence there will be no changes to protection of the tool.

The protection of the tool doesn't have to be removed. It is possible to release the password in the downloads description area. You'd have to be pretty aware of what your doing if copy the password then go into the Workbooks Info page to enter it. If they break it then, well it's kinda their fault.

Out of curiosity, would you be interested if someone ported this to openoffice for you? My trial of office is about to end and I'm not sure it's work me paying a sub to use it.

Ryonez

Villager
I'm going to cut the quote a little flwad

Work-arounds are the user's responsibility

A user is limited to editable cells only(And at the moment have absolutely no way to do anything about it). If a workaround is needed, why use the workbook, as it would defeat the purpose. Instead, I'm looking for a way the help improve it.

At this point any further request for change of protections is in extremely bad taste.

So, what seems to be made clear while I was away(At D'n'D actually) is that people have assumed that I'm asking for the removal of all protections. If you look at this

Sorry, I may have asked the question wrong. I understand the use of protecting the cells that you don't need to directly modify. What I'm asking for is for the ability to look at how the Character Generator works. I usually learn what I can by seeing how others make things. It also means that I can figure things out myself. One example is that my character has been magical altered into a Tiefling. Now I'm no longer a proper Elf, but not fully a Tiefling. I know I can create a new custom class in the Character Generator, but not all of the fields make complete sense to me. If I had access to see how you did the cannon classes, I would have had it done in a hour. as it stands, it's been over a week.

As you can see, at this point I clearly state "I understand the use of protecting the cells that you don't need to directly modify".

So far I feel that I'm repeating the question over and over as people aren't reading it properly.
Maybe this will help.

DO NOT REMOVE THE PROTECTION FROM THE GENERATOR!!
WHAT I'M ASKING IS FOR THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO SEE HOW THE GENERATOR WORKS TO HAVE A WAY TO DO SO.

Another option I've suggested in my last post : "The protection of the tool doesn't have to be removed. It is possible to release the password in the downloads description area. You'd have to be pretty aware of what your doing if copy the password then go into the Workbooks Info page to enter it. If they break it then, well it's kinda their fault."

I'm starting to get a little depressed over this. I'm trying to find a solution that works for everyone and it's not helping the the posts don't seem to be read properly, or the time is spent repeating the question.

I understand that you've got a opinion, so if think I've got something wrong please let me know. There always the chance I got something really wrong. If that is the case please let me know!

Remove ads