• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Heroes IC

Voadam

Legend
Voadam sheathes his wand and turns to Kay "Thank you for healing Chester Kay, it is appreciated and I am glad you are with us. Unless you use specific magics, however, I'm afraid burial is no bar to undead creation. Demmin could animate entire cemeteries. Fire is the best general prevention, though I suppose being consumed by a beast would work too to fully destroy a body and render it useless as a host to undead spirits. But even those measures are not a full bar to curses resulting in the dead coming back as bodiless spirits. And with Demmin I think we can't discount the possibility of flaming undead from the remains of pyres. I say if you want to perform a quick last rite of your faith that could be helpful, but swamp critters getting to the corpse are more likely to prevent him coming back."

Turning to address the group Voadam says "The beast was dispatched quickly and that is well. Solid strikes and good initiative after the render charged. Well done on the hand to hand. My compliments to Lilly as well on her plan and her execution of it. It was working. However," He turns and glares at Sir Siefer. "tell me, are you always going to ignore the plans, reveal our hidden position, throw away tactical advantages, and draw enemies to us so you can face them hand to hand? I want to know whether you will work with us in the future if this happens again or if we need to plan on you charging every time. Lilly's plan was sound and working, she risked herself for our benefit and your actions threw away that benefit. Is this going to be a one time mistake or the way things will be?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Hey hey," Lily says, gliding back down to 'stand' just atop the water's surface again.

"Go easy on him. Even WITH full memories, people fall back on their training in battle. His training just took us by surprise. I'd rather it happen now against this thing than later against that demon lord, right? Now we know, and now we can deal with it. But I'm sure he didn't MEAN to mess with us."

She shrugs. "Besides, my whole, 'I'll lead it away idea' was mostly based on the thought that it couldn't hurt me. When it started flinging TREES at me, some backup was a welcome thing."

"Anyway...it's good to talk things over. I just think getting rid of the finger-pointy accusatory tone's a good idea too."

Lot

First Post
Seifer seems to grow rigid under the criticism. He looks at Voadam, unflinching.

"I have apologized and admitted my mistake. The plan was solid, but when the circumstances changed, I found myself acting without thinking. When I see a companion in danger, my instinct is to try to take some of that danger on my own. That is my way. I will, however, attempt to direct my future actions in a way that fits our company's attitude in the future. That is all I can guarantee.

He turns to Lily.

"I thank you for your kind words and forgiving nature. They are appreciated at times like these."

Seifer bows slightly to her, then turns away to attend to the the cleaning of his weapon.

JonnyFive

First Post
"Ah Lily is right, his traning probably just kicked in without him even relizing it. I mearly asked my question to determin if it was on purpose or not. And from the responses here, it seems it was not on purpose. Given that it is most likely going to happen again, no offence ment seifer, i believe we should plan around it. at a minimum, you will make a nice distraction for thouse of us who are more stealth orintated." Zzerki will comment with a small wink for seifer.

Voadam

Legend
"Thanks to Kay the only lasting harm done is to Chester's shirt. And it was an impressive laying on of bladework. My concern is for how we handle things in the future. I've dealt with knights and paladins and divine champions before with different codes of conduct and honor. Some feel tactical advantages are dishonorable, others feel that any means to fight evil effectively are appropriate. I once used an illusion of a wall to hide a party of paladins and clerics to ambush an illithid assault team and we succesfully slaughtered the brain eaters, but it would have ended in disaster for us if any of our numbers had broken ranks or challenged their foes straight on from a distance without surprise."

Voadam turns to Siefer "I appreciate your battle instincts to rush into a fray. I take you as a man of your word and when you say you will attempte to direct your actions to fit our objectives I believe you."

Voadam turns back to the Johanite "So Kay you seem to have knowledge of these beasts. I've never seen one before. It looks to have the same number of eyes as a spider, is there a connection? And is that a pouch on its belly?" Voadam bends down to check out the slain beast. "Odd teeth too."

Komodo

First Post
Kafkonia said:
Kay crouches by the fallen man. "He should be given a proper burial," she says. "It is the right thing to do, and also wards off the menace of the undead."

Turning to Eglath: "These creatures are dangerous, but they must eat. I doubt the lamb cooked in a stew cares much for the adventurers who devour her."

"I could use some stew right about now," says Kralek, patting his armored belly and gazing wistfully into the distance. "But yer right. This man needs ta be buried. It's only proper." He looks around at the group. "Does anyone have a shovel, or somethin' we can dig with? We can't very well let the man just slip intah tha muck."

hafrogman

Adventurer
Chester rolls his eyes slightly at the ongoing debate. Surely as the only one who got injured, any affront to be his to take, and he wasn't taking any. A few new scars here and there were more than enough fair trade for Lily's safety. He listens silently as the debate seems to wind down a little and then claps his hands together as if to end it.

"All right, that seems all settled. But the body is another matter. We are in the middle of a swamp here, I'm not sure there's anywhere we could bury him that he wouldn't 'sink into the muck' as it were. Also, are we sure that he was a render victim? I wouldn't expect such a beast to leave any body, but bandits would probably have taken the money."

Kafkonia

First Post
Voadam said:
Voadam turns back to the Johanite "So Kay you seem to have knowledge of these beasts. I've never seen one before. It looks to have the same number of eyes as a spider, is there a connection? And is that a pouch on its belly?" Voadam bends down to check out the slain beast. "Odd teeth too."

"I don't know of any connection to spiders," Kay says, "but in a world where crazed wizards breed owls with bears, I cannot say for certain. The renders possess a rudimentary intelligence, little more than a beast's."

"If we're going to bury him should be break his arms and legs first? Then if he rises as a skeleton he'll just be a torso right?" Skitha thinks a moment. There's a notably blank look on her face and the others can practically hear rusty gears turning at this unaccustomed task.
"Oh! Or we could just take his head with us. Headless undead can't be very dangerous can they?"

Last edited:

Remove ads