• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms print rpg products in 2011?

JoeGKushner

First Post
One of my friends has been running a 4e FR game using the 4e setting.

It hasn't been bad but it hasn't inspired me personally to run the 4e version.

I'd laugh it the print version was a pre Spellplague version.

Nymrohd

First Post
Themes! I love themes from Dark Sun and they are far better than paragon paths in evoking the hundreds of societies of the realms. The realms have always had after all a massive load of crunch that they are desperately missing.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Forgotten Realms products? No way!

Frankly speaking, that is the least thing I want.

I have never ever used FR background setting in my games. They do not have much interesting materials, just some silly broken additional rules not well-balanced against main rulesets, and self-righteous world law (people without patron deity are doomed forever? FTW!). And FR is full of famous heroes, either novelists' or designers' pets. Famous heroes of justice, actively adventuring in the region, are something I hate to have in RPG world setting. The story of RPG should drive around PCs, not around those uber famous heroes.

If WotC kill all those pesky second-grade Gandalf copy, so-famous two-scimitar-wielding drow, hammer throwing barbarian and their comrades, then, only then, I may re-think.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
If WotC kill all those pesky second-grade Gandalf copy, so-famous two-scimitar-wielding drow, hammer throwing barbarian and their comrades, then, only then, I may re-think.

They are dead (or worse), corrupted, or no longer interested in world events in 4e and are hardly mentioned.

That said, I still prefer me some Eberron

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Forgotten Realms products? No way!

Frankly speaking, that is the least thing I want.

I have never ever used FR background setting in my games. They do not have much interesting materials, just some silly broken additional rules not well-balanced against main rulesets, and self-righteous world law (people without patron deity are doomed forever? FTW!). And FR is full of famous heroes, either novelists' or designers' pets. Famous heroes of justice, actively adventuring in the region, are something I hate to have in RPG world setting. The story of RPG should drive around PCs, not around those uber famous heroes.

You haven´t read FR 4e, have you? Because 99% of what you hate is gone.

To the general news: we speculated that this would happen. Let each CS sink in, gauge its population - then decide if you want to publish addon books at all. I like that approach a lot. But i´m also curious what kind of product they´ll create and what we will discern out of that.

You haven´t read FR 4e, have you? Because 99% of what you hate is gone.

To the general news: we speculated that this would happen. Let each CS sink in, gauge its population - then decide if you want to publish addon books at all. I like that approach a lot. But i´m also curious what kind of product they´ll create and what we will discern out of that.

I have to say, that while I do like the Realms, it is the "weakest" of the 3 campaign settings. Eberron CS is great, and the Dark Sun CS is, IMO, a little above the ECS (but, I may be biased since I like DS a little more than Eberron). Perhaps they will use what they have learned to make some tweaks to the FRCS (and no, I don't mind what they did to it, and I go way back to the original FR boxed set).

Remove ads