• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

Which is why the real goal of the PC should be to depose Kelemvor and take his place as the god of the dead. That's the only way to permanently remove the wall.

The thing is on the fugue Kelemvor is the most powerful being outside of AO. He can simply prevent you from going into the Fugue or if he was in a bad mood have the plane eat you as he controls every part of it.

Also why would people want to do somthing about Kelemvor when no one did anything about Myrkul who was much worse. Even if they did become god of the dead and could remove the wall. They would still be beholden to most of the divine rules.

Still a mortal can't defeat a Greater God. The most famous mortals who tried to take on a greater god and obtain his power were Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal. And they first had to gain divinity before they knew they were capable of standing up to Jergal who was the most powerful god other then AO. Jergal still gave them his powers and porfolio's without a fight because he was bored, but he could have easily crushed them.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
But, now, we're back to the idea of the players forcing themes and events on the campaign outside of what the DM/GM is trying to set up.
That's kind of the player's job, though - to give the DM story fodder. The DM shouldn't just be able to run any generic adventure with any random party. DMs SHOULD be taking into account what their players want in a game when they're considering the plots they're running in their setting.

When a walking stove is looking for his master/creator, that's a player "forcing himself" on the campaign, and that's awesome, because now I can work that goal into the goals of the adventure and increase the character's involvement.

The druid trying to bring the rain? Not really such a problem. The water genasi druid trying to bring back the rain? That's an anti-setting character. And it was very problematic. There is a character that can create water in a setting that specifically forbids doing that. That's not simply a "ready made antagonist", that's a character that is turning the tropes of the setting on their ears.
There's nothing about 4e water genasi that lets them create water?

Now you're moving the goalposts a bit from character goals to character races. To stay on goals: If it's not a problem for a character to want to bring back the rain to Athas, why is it a problem for a character to want to tear down the Wall in FR or to replace the Balance in DL? There are characters who would have cause to want to do these things in each setting (druids in general in DS, dragonborn especially in FR, and everyone who post-Cataclysm abandoned the deities in DL). It's not out of the setting bounds. It transforms the setting in the best way.

Which is fine, if that's what the group wants. You want to play a game where the group includes someone who can create water in Darksun and deal with the repercussions of such a character? Fine and dandy. But, in an ongoing campaign, where you have several plot lines going on, suddenly you plop in this new character that derails pretty much every other plot line because the existence of such a character is such a huge setting changing event that you either have to turn the campaign in a completely new direction, or, as was more or less done in our campaign, lampshade it and ignore it. Same as the Mind Shard character. There is no realistic way that our group should have been able to function anywhere in Athas. We should have been mobbed every single time we appeared in public. Bad enough the warlock that uses magic publicly, which was my bad, but we had a mind shard AND a water genasi. The group very quickly evolved into an anti-setting group where everyone is acting against the setting.
Your experience of that and my experience of that were very different. It was part of my (human) druid's pathos that the water (re-fluffed swarm druid powers) she created was never permanent, it fueled her goals that brought her to bring a river back to Tyr. That's not anti-setting, that's entirely within the setting's bounds, using the setting and its conflicts to influence the type of character I created and what they did in the setting. The shardmind character was anachronistic in an interesting way that peeled back layers of the setting's history for us and created a very memorable villain. Those were some of my favorite moments in that game, and they happened because the players influenced where the DM's story went, just as they did when everyone banded together to save your character's mom.

Me, I would have liked to actually play IN a Dark Sun game. Problem was, no one else appeared interested. Not with the characters that kept getting added to the game.
...you played a fey warlock, going "anti-setting" in at least two ways (fey are considered dead or lost and magic is considered dangerous and destructive). And there were some awesome scenes that resulted from that (the fey lord that took secrets was cool!).

Yes, characters should be interesting and bring in all sorts of hooks for the DM to use to generate a campaign. I have no problems with a player driven campaign. But, like I said, I've really, really lost the taste for characters that are anti-setting characters. The psychotic, evil elf ranger in a Dragonlance campaign, the mindshard robot in Dark Sun, the endless lines of "fish out of water" characters that I've seen played in every single campaign I've ever played for the last thirty years.
Heroes aren't MEANT to fit into their worlds comfortably. If they did, we'd all be moisture farmers instead of Jedi Knights and senators instead of Princesses and normal stormtroopers instead of ones that take off their helmets. Heroes are heroes because they challenge the campaign world, be that the Wall, the Balance, the Sorcerer-Kings, the Empire, or any number of a million other heroic stories where the world ends differently than how it began. It's the mundane world that the Campbellian hero changes.

Is it really that hard to look at a campaign setting, particularly one you may have not played before, or at least, not played terribly often, and create a unique, interesting character with ties to the setting that isn't designed to run against the grain for the entire campaign? Is it really that much to ask that a group playing in a War of the Lance campaign to make actual, honest to goodness heroes? Why is it every time you hand players a list of classes/races for a campaign, there is always that one player who wants something off the menu? Is it really that hard to stick to the menu?

I've little desire to play a game of D&D where I'm Moisture Farmer Luke Skywalker, who obediently follows the Empire's directives. That's the "menu" in the Star Wars setting. I'd much rather play Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker who challenges the setting's "dark dominant" paradigm and succeeds in restoring balance to the force. You might very well decry that as anti-setting since the Jedis are all lost and there's only even one that still exists in the canon and the setting is about the Empire ruling the galaxy. I mean you enter a world where there's no Jedi Knights, and where the Emperor rules supreme, and the first characters pitched are a farm boy who becomes a Jedi Knight and a princess who wants to fight the Empire! Talk about going against the setting!

I'd say that's exactly the kind of character I want to DM for - one who wants to DO BIG THINGS in the campaign world. To change it. To follow through with a narrative. Characters like Han - accepts the setting, works within it, tries to avoid commitment, just does individual missions - those characters are dull to DM for. Go to X and get the MacGuffin, go to Y and deliver it, that's not a story of world-changing heroism, that's a story of a particularly hazardous run to my mailbox. That's why Han is a supporting character - he's not interested in doing big things (well, eventually he is, too, and by that point he's become a bit of a protagonist himself instead of a plot device, but not for a while).

My gnome wild mage is crushing dragon cultists next to everyone else and wants to make the world a better place for everyone where there is no more Cataclysm and no more threat of an evil dragon goddess's return. He even wants it for bigger, more cosmological reasons than the "the dragonarmies were mean to me" narrative of most of the characters. He sees the great causes of suffering in the world, the things that allowed the dragonarmies to exist in the first place, and wants to fix them.

...and that's not heroic?

A dragonborn who wants to tear down the Wall sees a cause of suffering in this world and wants to eradicate it, to give his people reason to hope, to give the deities reason to provide, to make being good matter more than being faithful, to get rid of something hateful and restore something just.

...and that's not heroic?

Heck, why do we play games fighting against the dragonarmies - if they were eradicated, that would remove a fundamental pillar of the setting. To be in line with the setting, I guess we should play doomed townsfolk? Or members of the dragonarmies themselves? Certainly not heroes who change the world for the better! Those characters aren't part of the setting!

Hussar said:
I'm more than willing to accommodate player concepts within the constraints of the setting. What I'm not interested in anymore is the "anti-setting" character.
Except that's not really the case in your proposed Thule game - you're additionally constraining the setting beyond what the setting suggests (and also expanding it in terms of monks and paladins) because you want a particular vibe. That's cool, but that's not automatically what PT is. That's what you want to make it. And I don't think anyone has told you that they don't want to play that game. It's just a matter of finding out exactly what is on the table and what isn't.

When I see Conan (and I don't see much of him), I see him as an outsider beating the snot out of a world of decadent and corrupt wizards. The DM set up a world of decadent and corrupt wizards, and Conan is the proposed character: outsider, rude, violent, strong, independent. He is everything that the dominant setting is not. That's why he's the protagonist.

When I see the Fellowship of the Ring, I see them as unusual and exceptional, hobbits on adventures humans who are honored by elves, angel-mages who are considered eccentric in their own circles, in a world of spreading darkness. They are everything the dominant setting is not. That's why they're the protagonists.

When I see PT, I see a world of prehistoric monsters and madness-producing magic. I'd imagine its protagonists would tame the wilderness and bring order to spellcasting. They would be things that the setting would be changed by. That's why they'd be the protagonists.

Last edited:

Dark Sun Gnome

First Post
The psychotic, evil elf ranger in a Dragonlance campaign.

Considering how haughty the high elves are on Krynn, and how they enslaved the Kagonesti, I could buy a psychotic, evil elf ranger that belives in the credos "red in tooth and claw" and thinks that all humans (and other elves with the exception of his subrace) are bastards. Driven mad by the enslavement and the second cataclysm, and determined to uphold the natural order? That there is a good reason he has went mental? That could so happen on Krynn.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Oh sure [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION]. As I said, virtually all of the campaigns I've run or played in have allowed most characters and been very flexible. I'm simply in the process of shifting preferences from flexible and open to much more rigid and restrictive.

Under no circumstances should this be considered a universal. Actually IME this is very much an outlier.

But it's ironic though. I've been told in no uncertain terms numerous times on this board that it is 100% up to the DM to allow or disallow concepts in a campaign and DM's can disallow anything for any reason. But when I actually apply that, I'm being told I'm unreasonable or not acting in the spirit of the setting. It's very ironic.

I'm more than willing to accommodate player concepts within the constraints of the setting. What I'm not interested in anymore is the "anti-setting" character.

Well I think the DM has the final say, for sure. And I think the bulk of the story and setting falls to the DM, but I also think the whole D&D experience is meant to be collaborative, and so it's good to allow the players to have a little input in the story. The best way they can do this is through backstory for their characters and through motivations or goals.

Then it's up to the DM to use these player created hooks or not. I've seen campaigns take entirely new directions based on player input and be the better for it. But the DM has to decide if that's what would happen, and then act accordingly.

Hussar

Legend
I'm a Banana said:
I've little desire to play a game of D&D where I'm Moisture Farmer Luke Skywalker, who obediently follows the Empire's directives. That's the "menu" in the Star Wars setting. I'd much rather play Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker who challenges the setting's "dark dominant" paradigm and succeeds in restoring balance to the force. You might very well decry that as anti-setting since the Jedis are all lost and there's only even one that still exists in the canon and the setting is about the Empire ruling the galaxy. I mean you enter a world where there's no Jedi Knights, and where the Emperor rules supreme, and the first characters pitched are a farm boy who becomes a Jedi Knight and a princess who wants to fight the Empire! Talk about going against the setting!

I'd say that's exactly the kind of character I want to DM for - one who wants to DO BIG THINGS in the campaign world. To change it. To follow through with a narrative. Characters like Han - accepts the setting, works within it, tries to avoid commitment, just does individual missions - those characters are dull to DM for. Go to X and get the MacGuffin, go to Y and deliver it, that's not a story of world-changing heroism, that's a story of a particularly hazardous run to my mailbox. That's why Han is a supporting character - he's not interested in doing big things (well, eventually he is, too, and by that point he's become a bit of a protagonist himself instead of a plot device, but not for a while).

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page70#ixzz3wEO6VUiA

Wait, what? The whole point of the Star Wars setting is to fight the Empire. That's part and parcel to the setting that you have Rebels that fight the Empire. Playing Luke or Leia is not anti-setting whatsoever. Playing a Cylon, whose themes are completely orthagonal to the setting, THAT'S an anti-setting character.

Breaking minor bits of canon? Not a problem. An intelligent stove searching for its master in Forgotten Realms? Agreed, absolutely no problem. It's part and parcel to the tone and feel of the setting of Forgotten Realms. High magic, high fantasy. Not a problem, at all.

Declaring that an in game element which is not presented as such in any way shape or form as terribly evil and morally repugnant, and then creating a character bent on fighting that newly created injustice? Yeah, that's an anti-setting character.

When I see the Fellowship of the Ring, I see them as unusual and exceptional, hobbits on adventures humans who are honored by elves, angel-mages who are considered eccentric in their own circles, in a world of spreading darkness. They are everything the dominant setting is not. That's why they're the protagonists.

When I see PT, I see a world of prehistoric monsters and madness-producing magic. I'd imagine its protagonists would tame the wilderness and bring order to spellcasting. They would be things that the setting would be changed by. That's why they'd be the protagonists.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page70#ixzz3wEPJQLuX

But, again, look at the Fellowship. Completely, 100% tied to the setting. None of the characters show the slightest interest in rewriting the setting in any form. The Hobbits are unusual, for hobbits, for going on an adventure, but, it's not like their players have declared that elves are evil and should be killed. Or that all the Wizards are morally repugnant for not stopping Sauron when they had the chance. Or, even one better, declaring that Sauron is RIGHT and joining Sauron's side. That would be an anti-setting character.

Being something of an outsider is one thing. Sure, Adventurers are Different is a pretty common trope. Note, you brought up my Feylock. Remember, the point of a warlock in 4e is that their sources of magic, like a Binder, don't need to be alive. But, also, there are Fey in 4e Darksun, as I understood it. That was one of the changes in the setting, at least as it was explained to me. I'll cop, 100%, to my own ignorance of the setting. And playing a caster in Darksun is not all that unusual. Defiler vs Preserver is a major theme of the setting.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Considering how haughty the high elves are on Krynn, and how they enslaved the Kagonesti, I could buy a psychotic, evil elf ranger that belives in the credos "red in tooth and claw" and thinks that all humans (and other elves with the exception of his subrace) are bastards. Driven mad by the enslavement and the second cataclysm, and determined to uphold the natural order? That there is a good reason he has went mental? That could so happen on Krynn.

Note, again, context is important. This is War of the Lance era Dragonlance, so, the later material doesn't apply. The tone and theme of DL changed quite a bit from beginning to end.

But, since we're playing in a War of the Lance era game, should the tone and feel of the characters actually go some distance to fit in the tone and feel of the campaign?

Look, I'm not against adding all sorts of stuff into games. That's cool. You want to play a war forged ninja in a fantasy pirates game? I'll go out of my way to make that character fit into the game - maybe he's some sort of animated figurehead from a sunken ship. I can make that work because we're playing fantasy pirates in a high magic setting. OTOH, trying to add that character to my Master and Commander campaign with low magic and maybe only the occasional sea serpent (it is fantasy after all) and we're going to have a problem.

It's all about tone and theme. [MENTION=2067]I'm A Banana[/MENTION]'s character that hates the Wall? In some campaigns I'd be perfectly fine with that. Probably one where everyone else is at least somewhat on board with a character with such a grand quest and likely a darker themed campaign where the lines of alignment and whatnot are a lot more blurry. Especially fine in a campaign focused on morality. OTOH, in a high adventure, buckiing swashes and rescuing fair princes? Not so much.

Hussar

Legend
Well I think the DM has the final say, for sure. And I think the bulk of the story and setting falls to the DM, but I also think the whole D&D experience is meant to be collaborative, and so it's good to allow the players to have a little input in the story. The best way they can do this is through backstory for their characters and through motivations or goals.

Then it's up to the DM to use these player created hooks or not. I've seen campaigns take entirely new directions based on player input and be the better for it. But the DM has to decide if that's what would happen, and then act accordingly.

And I totally agree with this. I really do. My point is when the player has gone beyond "a little input" and created a character which runs at right angles to themes and tropes of the setting.

The animated stove searching for its master? Very funny.

The insane gnome who believes that the gods should all take a long walk off a short pier in a War of the Lance campaign where one of the major themes of the campaign is faith and how that renewed faith shapes the world? Not fitting so much. Although still a brilliant and brilliantly funny character.

The psychopathic elf murdering captives in the same campaign? Yeah, definitely not what I would consider colouring inside the lines for a campaign set in that period. And highly disruptive.

It's all about degree.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Wait, what? The whole point of the Star Wars setting is to fight the Empire. That's part and parcel to the setting that you have Rebels that fight the Empire. Playing Luke or Leia is not anti-setting whatsoever. Playing a Cylon, whose themes are completely orthagonal to the setting, THAT'S an anti-setting character.
Luke and Leia are not characters who accept the setting as it is. EXTREMELY so. The DM says that we're going to play Star Wars and the setting is a galactic empire and the Jedis are lost. Along come two characters whose missions are to destroy the Empire and to restore the Jedis. Rather than declaring these characters "anti-setting," The DM Says Yes and lets them wreck the Empire and restore balance to the force. Awesome stories result.

If the player wanted to play an advanced droid who resembled a human but was programmed for assassination? Or if the player wanted to play a droid who was part of a droid army that wanted to kill civilized races? (Either of which are pretty core to the Cylon story in BSG) That'd be LESS setting-changing.

I mean, for a direct comparison, the official lore about water genasi in Dark Sun 4e is that they are a "lost manifestation." A player who plays a water genasi hoping to restore rain to Athas is basically the same story as Luke Skywalker - a character type that the setting doesn't support.

If characters who want to change fundamental aspects of the setting aren't "anti-setting," your decisions about what is anti-setting and what is not are looking really arbitrary.

Declaring that an in game element which is not presented as such in any way shape or form as terribly evil and morally repugnant, and then creating a character bent on fighting that newly created injustice? Yeah, that's an anti-setting character.
And things like the Balance and the Wall are presented as morally repugnant. When good people are killed and tormented, the response in a game of heroic fantasy is to stop the killing and torment of good people. So if the Balance kills good people, it is morally repugnant, and if the Wall is mortared with good souls it, too, is morally repugnant. These things must be stopped, just as an empire that blows up planets ("It's necessary to prevent mass chaos!") and a brutal alien gangster ("It's harsh, but fair!") are set up as antagonists.

But, again, look at the Fellowship. Completely, 100% tied to the setting. None of the characters show the slightest interest in rewriting the setting in any form.
I dunno what Fellowship you're looking at, but I see a Dwarf and an Elf who leave their cloistered homes, a human from a lost kingdom who loves an elf, and hobbits on adventures, and all of them seeking to change fundamental aspects of the setting (like the Dark Lord Sauron), and NONE of these characters are typical examples of their people. They're all exceptional - the hobbits ESPECIALLY so.

The Hobbits are unusual, for hobbits, for going on an adventure, but, it's not like their players have declared that elves are evil and should be killed.
That'd be a short hop from what the hobbits in the shire already believe (that elves are dangerous and should be avoided). That's consistent with the setting. Believing elves should be trusted is VERY unusual in the setting.

Or that all the Wizards are morally repugnant for not stopping Sauron when they had the chance.
That'd be a short hop from what the humans already believe (that Wizards are meddling harbringers of doom). Believing wizards should be trusted is VERY unusual in the setting.

Or, even one better, declaring that Sauron is RIGHT and joining Sauron's side. That would be an anti-setting character.
I mean, Saruman does this. It's not like he's anti-setting, he's part and parcel of the thing. If you wanted to play a group of people who was very much in tune with the setting, Saruman-style characters would be expected. It would only be if you want to go against the setting's assumptions that characters like Saruman become antagonists.

Being something of an outsider is one thing. Sure, Adventurers are Different is a pretty common trope. Note, you brought up my Feylock. Remember, the point of a warlock in 4e is that their sources of magic, like a Binder, don't need to be alive. But, also, there are Fey in 4e Darksun, as I understood it. That was one of the changes in the setting, at least as it was explained to me. I'll cop, 100%, to my own ignorance of the setting. And playing a caster in Darksun is not all that unusual. Defiler vs Preserver is a major theme of the setting.
And Great Old Ones vs. Mortals is a major theme of PT. It's just not a theme you want the PC's to explore in your game.

You played a magical character in a world where magic was taboo and a character tied to the Fey in a world where the Fey are lost (even in 4e, they're basically inaccessible). They were an exceptional character. I think this character went just fine. There were some memorable scenes with the character. Scenes that could only mean what they did in Dark Sun (we had to restore their homeland, we traveled through portals to see them).

I think the same thing about the rain druid and the shardmind.

Hussar said:
(a) character that hates the Wall? In some campaigns I'd be perfectly fine with that. Probably one where everyone else is at least somewhat on board with a character with such a grand quest and likely a darker themed campaign where the lines of alignment and whatnot are a lot more blurry. Especially fine in a campaign focused on morality. OTOH, in a high adventure, buckiing swashes and rescuing fair princes? Not so much.
The psychopathic elf murdering captives in the same campaign? Yeah, definitely not what I would consider colouring inside the lines for a campaign set in that period. And highly disruptive.

There is a difference between the stories that you personally are interested in and the stories that the setting as a whole supports. It's fine to have personal preferences and limits, but it's a little quixotic to imagine that those are universal. Playing in an FR campaign itself doesn't preclude wanting to tear down the wall and playing in a DL campaign itself doesn't preclude opposing the Balance and playing a DS campaign itself doesn't preclude wanting to bring back the rain or getting magic from the fey. Playing in a campaign setting with an evil empire doesn't preclude overthrowing that empire. Playing in a campaign setting with a lost order doesn't preclude restoring that order. Playing in a campaign setting where hobbits are homebodies doesn't preclude adventuresome hobbits. Playing in a setting where magic is rare and madness-inducing doesn't preclude a character who confronts that head-on as a Warlock of the Great Old Ones.

It's not really a matter of degree. As a DM, it's more a matter of being clear: lay out what you want. Tell people what's on the plate. Require certain elements. Dictate the bounds. Be exact and be consistent and be clear - if you leave a door open, either let it really be taken, or say "Hey, whoops, should've closed that." That's your job when you want to be pro-active instead of re-active to that degree. Tell the players what they can play as (including what goals they must have / cannot have). You may have to say "no" a lot, otherwise, but that's fine, too, if the goals are a little more nebulous.

The DL DM didn't stipulate thinking the Balance is awesome or working comfortably with other races as a necessary element of your character, and approved BOTH characters as A-OK before they entered the campaign (though personally, I consider "working comfortably with other PC's" as a prerequisite for any character I personally create, because the headache of inter-party strife is only fun for me when everyone else thinks it'd be fun). The idea that they don't fit the campaign is YOUR idea, not the setting's.

And similarly, the idea that you can't oppose the Wall is YOUR idea, not FR's.

It's not a problem to have that idea, but it's kind of an issue to imagine that everyone else needs to agree with your idea, or else they're being "anti-setting" and having badwrongfun.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
And I totally agree with this. I really do. My point is when the player has gone beyond "a little input" and created a character which runs at right angles to themes and tropes of the setting.

The animated stove searching for its master? Very funny.

The insane gnome who believes that the gods should all take a long walk off a short pier in a War of the Lance campaign where one of the major themes of the campaign is faith and how that renewed faith shapes the world? Not fitting so much. Although still a brilliant and brilliantly funny character.

It's all about degree.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. And part of the issue is that in using a published setting like the Forgotten Realms that has so much material, each person has their own frame of reference. I've always loved having the material available, the novels and such helps fill out a shared background so everybody understands the way the world works. Star Wars is another great example, you don't have to explain what jawas are, how the force works, the sith and jedi, or the war between the rebels and the empire. It's all shared knowledge.

But each campaign is a combination of the shared vision of the DM and the players. The DM sets the ground rules, the laws of nature, etc., and the players write a portion of the history and future history. In my case there have been a number of things that I haven't incorporated into my Forgotten Realms campaign.

The Spellplague, OK. Returned Abeir? Not so much. Elves now eladrin? No. (Now they are elves again anyway). Fortunately, most of what I found objectionable about the world changes in 4th edition have largely been reversed. But the new form that Tieflings and dragonborn aren't things I like. I've had half-dragons and (what was later called) plane-touched in my Realms since 2nd edition. As we progressed through the 3rd, 4th and 5th editions they went from races with a barely detectable trace of their non-human(oid) heritage that granted them some special abilities, to visibly different creatures that stand out in a crowd. That materially changes the world in ways I don't like.

But they are now 'standard' or 'standard optional' races that a lot of people want to play. I don't want to say no, I want them to have fun. But it's not the way they have worked in my Realms for almost 30 years. So I'm also not that interested in rolling with those changes.

So I have a new player who wants to join a well established campaign with 5 other players (a human bard, a human rogue, an elven bard, an elven rogue, and an elven ranger (modeled after an urban ranger), and I give him guidelines - any standard or optional race except tiefling or dragonborn, and stick with classes appropriate to a city setting. He comes back with a dragonborn druid.

I made it work, but it was a bit annoying at the time.

Ilbranteloth

Hussar

Legend
So I have a new player who wants to join a well established campaign with 5 other players (a human bard, a human rogue, an elven bard, an elven rogue, and an elven ranger (modeled after an urban ranger), and I give him guidelines - any standard or optional race except tiefling or dragonborn, and stick with classes appropriate to a city setting. He comes back with a dragonborn druid.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...he-Wall-of-the-Faithless/page71#ixzz3wEvaJQok

Heh. Seen that happen more times than I care to count. :D

I think a better example of what i'm talking about, that doesn't make me sound like I'm completely inconsistent (which I think I may have done this thread) came in a recent conversation about Dark Sun. Someone talked about bringing in a Gnome cleric of Garl Glittergold into a Dark Sun campaign. Now, I realise that there are two issues with this character, but, for me, only one of them really matters. A gnome in Dark Sun is against canon. Sure. No problem. I get that. But, then again, Dark Sun has all sorts of fantastic races and lots of weird races too, so, a one off gnome, for me, would not be an issue. Sure, it's non canon, but, adding in a single gnome isn't going to make too much of a change to the themes of the setting or campaign.

OTOH, the cleric of Garl Glittergold is a bridge too far for me. The whole point of Darksun is a world without gods. Or, if that's not the whole point, it's still a honking big one. The gods are dead. Now we have Sorcerer Kings and the world is dying. Adding in a god to the mix is not what I would want in a Darksun campaign. A campaign to return the gods where, after some success, a character multi classes into having a divine class? Maybe. I could see that working. But, from the outset of the campaign? Naw, not so much. it's too big of a change that should have far to much impact on the campaign.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads