D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

Irennan

Explorer
Well the fact that torilian gods are almost universally tyrannical forces that are a malus upon civilization from the mortal perspective probably gets a few people into the wall each generation.

I mentioned this earlier, even the 'good' gods are basically toying with mortals, largely to sate their own agendas and egos.

That's not true. Certain gods actually go out of their way to help their followers. I don't like many gods, and I certainly don't like the Wall, but there are Torilian gods who really care about people (deities like Ilmater or Eilistraee are known to be very compassionate and to directly help people in need in various ways, for example, even when they're not followers). The Wall is a fairly recent work of Myrkul in the setting, not some kind of universal rule that has always existed as a device for the gods to keep exploiting people or something along those lines (so I hardly believe that things are like you are trying to portray. FR is not an "all gods are a******s" kind of setting, though many actually are).

Also, IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong, when Kelemvor destroyed the wall the other gods weren't trying to get it back up. Kel restored the wall only because in the novel the authors decided that people would suddenly take suicide missions for good causes just because the Wall wasn't there anymore and Kelemvor had offered a good afterlife to people who did good (and this situation is clearly BS). I even doubt that the Wall is something that the deities could influence without holding the portfolio of the dead.

Irennan

Explorer
If mortals can pull it off it can't be a resource/power problem.

Mortals can't pull it off, though, except in extremely rare and niche situations (like the Time of Troubles). And yes, it is a power problem, because there are many evil gods, and they aren't going down easily. In the collective effort that I mentioned above (the Dawn Cataclysm), many goodly gods died.

Irennan

Explorer
It cannot be that hard to isolate and murder the stupid and arrogant ones first. Hell that's Gruumsh's whole schtick.

Stupid gods don't really exist. Even the most reckless among them, going by their stats, have INT and WIS scores far above any mortal, and uber-geniuses aren't going to commit stupid mistakes like exposing themselves to be isolated and cut down. Even if a god was isolated from their allies and realm and killed outside of it, they'd just reform in their realm. The only way to actually kill a deity is to defeat them in their realm, and consider that most evil deities have their home in planes like the Abyss, Carceri, etc... which can't be attacked easily.

I mean, as I said, the goodly gods tried, they really did, both in personal (like Eilistraee, who nearly died in her attempt to take Lolth out of the picture) and collective endeavours, but they didn't succeed, and that was because they couldn't, not because they didn't want to or didn't care (no one risks their life for something they don't care about).

Look, I really dislike the wall too, but I also really like some of the FR gods, as they care for their people. It's not an easy situation where you can universally state that FR gods are careless beings or beings who toy with mortals, though some, perhaps even many of them, certainly are.

Last edited:

Remove ads