• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms...

rounser

First Post
Possibly you have some personal problems that seeped out in this one?
I was debating some points which misrepresent the situation as I see it. You're trying to make it personal though, which I resent.
Anyway, what character knew what level he was?
What does this have to do with anything?
How does having a higher level of magic make things "more" role playing?
It doesn't, necessarily, and I never wrote it did.
Magical socks and underwear might make your role playing experience better, but not mine.
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing against the implication that low magic is bound to imply better roleplaying, which I believe is bollocks - does roleplaying die the moment people hit level 12?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I still believe that one of the major keys to successfully running a Forgotten Realms campaign is staying right away from the novels. If you and your group can do that (and you're not really missing much) and rely only the various RPG products, I think you'll find the setting just as high magic or low magic as you like.

It's a wonderful setting for DMs simply because there is so much detail that you can incorporate whether you're building a single adventure or a whole campaign. I find I still have free reign on all the plot-type issues but a lot of the background work and details that contribute to a general verisimilitude are already done for me.

Cheers
NPP

telepox

First Post
Victim said:

And how does having less magic add to roleplaying? It generally makes no difference except in terms of combat ability. Combat ability has little to do with roleplaying.

It doesn't.....
And right.....

telepox

First Post
I think I recall saying "Too much magic.....Muchkinism" of which you replied with "Underlying statement......Typical role player". That seemed rather personal, which I resent.
At least you used the correct term, "Role Player".
Remember I said "Too much magic", not "the right amount of magic"

Staffan

Legend
One thing that might have given some people the wrong impression of FR is the intro adventure in the 2nd ed FR box. As I recall, it had quite a bit of magic, and it also had what might have been the worst use of a major NPC *ever*: when the party is being hurt, Elminster comes walking by (in the dungeon). He is trying to train a dog, so he waves a stick at the dog saying "Heel!". Of course, that's no ordinary stick - no, it's a wand of healing, with "Heal!" being the command word.

Also, if I recall correctly, the adventure/dungeon in question is *way* out of the league of 1st level characters, thereby making it quite inappropriate for an *introductory* adventure.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*puts out a tent pole with a banner reading: "I claim this side of the thread for cilivity and my favorite non-WotC campaign world!"*

Green Knight

First Post
Magical socks and underwear might make your role playing experience better, but not mine.

A statement made out of total and utter ignorance.

Aside from an extra item or two at 1st level, as Sean K Reynolds pointed out, NOWHERE does it say that characters should get more magic items then in standard D&D. NOWHERE. Can you point out where it says otherwise? Can you point out where it says that Forgotten Realms characters are supposed to have double, triple, quadruple, etc the number of magic items than in a standard D&D campaign?

You can't because such a statement doesn't exist. Nowhere does it say in the Realms rulebooks that characters are supposed to have an unending supply of magic items, as you imply with your statement. As Sean K Reynolds also pointed out, NPC's in 3E are constructed with equipment equal to what a normal character of that level would have, as presented in the DMG. As such, Artemis Entreri for example has no more than any other standard 18th level character.

Try to get some actual FACTS before you bash something.

And for those who think no role-playing goes on at higher levels, you may want to read a thread in Story Hour called "Lady Despina's Virtue". High level and powerful characters, yet most of the game has involved heavy role-playing on the part of the characters. Hell, in all that has been posted so far, there hasn't been a single combat. Munchkin, indeed!

Ulrick

First Post
Up until 3rd ed. Realms, I didn't like the realms because it seemed to cater to munchkin power gaming IMHO. That and it kinda tromped on my favorite published campaign world Greyhawk.

But 3e Forgotten Realms seems to have a new and fresh feel to it. While it is high fantasy, the "feel" of it has changed for me. While reading the FRCS I didn't get the notion that I was being fed rules for "kewl powerz" and the like, but instead I was reading about a wonderful dynamic world rich in history, steeped in legends and ancient majesty.

I actually would like to play in a Realms campaign, provided that the DM sticks to this "new feel."

Yeah, I know some of you out there may be shocked to hear this from me--since I used to not like the realms at all--and was very vocal about it.

:p

Ulrick

A lot of people's notions of FR being way too high-magic and high-powered comes from the novels, not the actual RPG material. I know, because I'm (partially) one of them.

Yes, I know that the world isn't played the same way the novels are written. At least, I know that intellectually. But since my first experience with FR was novels, they have forever colored my perceptions.

(I have other reasons for disliking the Realms, mind you. My tastes aren't entirely unfair...) ;)

So yes, I'm biased, but at least I admit it.

Point is, for many people, the novles represent the way the Realms "should" be, simply because they are (or were) official TSR products. A newcomer to the Realms, picking up the 3rd edition book for the first time, probably wouldn't have these prejudices--or at least not all of them.

Remove ads