• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked from WotC Layoffs: Industry Size

malraux

First Post
Their latest financial report has 2,285 employees in 2009.

Is it plausible that's more than everyone else put together?

If GW still has retail stores, that will really inflate their numbers. Their IR page claims 330 GW retail stores. Think about what it takes to keep a single hole in the wall store open. Even if you just open for a single shift (1PM-10PM), you'll need several different people to work the cash register, to cover the week, managers, etc. And if the store has any size, you'll be doing multiple shifts at once. It will add up quickly for each store. Then multiply that by 330 (for each of the different retail stores) and you end up with a huge overhead.

Cadfan

First Post
Oh, stop trying to make this an edition thing. Our group starts its Hommlet 4E campaign in a week or so. You guys aren't really so enthralled as to think that if you like a game then that company that makes it can do no wrong, do you? WotC has made some incredibly poor decisions over the last few years (some would say longer) that have adversely effected the lives of the people who wrote the game you are apparently trying to defend by stifling policy discussions. There are ways to run a company, or division of a corporation, that do not require a business model with built-in annual layoffs. Companies in this small industry who value their employees in a manner that avoids cyclical layoffs as a matter of course are to be commended, IMO. Others who have business practices that leave employees and their families out in the cold should not be shielded by smokescreens of fan-edition-favoritism. Someone might not be able to completely change a corporate policy by expressing outrage, or simply posting displeasure like I do while pointing out a better way and companies who follow it, but it sure beats the alternative of quietly accepting what should be considered unacceptable. I feel incredibly bad for the employees who have lost their means of income from WotC this year just before the holidays, and each year that it happens, and for their spouses and their children who depend on that income. I think it is a shameful business practice that need not be. If you two wish to defend it, feel free, but don't try to twist it into an edition war because I'll have none of that.
Annual Layoffs < Random Layoffs ?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Maybe I missed something.

Has anyone from WotC said "this is part of our business model"? Have we even established evidence that they do really fire folks every year, that it might be part of a preplanned model?
As far as I know, there has been no such declaration... however, since this practice has been a constant every year it really does look like a pre-planned model.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Armchair quarterbacking and speculation is a very popular pastime for some people. :p
And it's fun, so I don't begrudge anyone that.

On topic, I think it's neat that different companies can operate in such differing ways and still have success. Paizo and Fantasy Flight, among others, have offices. Green Ronin doesn't, but it has a great team. All use freelance to one extent or another, which keeps numerous folks all over the world at least dabbling in design. It's an interesting dynamic.

I wonder if a decentralized collaborative model is heading to the fore?

Acknowledging our tiny and challenging gaming-industry universe, I'd also like to add that I admire those who have started tabletop companies--Chris Pramas, Lisa Stevens, Jospeh Goodman, and others from tiny operations too numerous to list, such as my pal Ian Johnston of Silverthorne Games. A lot of cool stuff has come out because of such folks. I like to think it's good for the industry to have this diversity.

That's one reason I'm looking forward to reading the tabletop Dragon Age RPG.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com

Has anyone from WotC said "this is part of our business model"? Have we even established evidence that they do really fire folks every year, that it might be part of a preplanned model?

An anonymous source tells me that WotC had it's usual annual pre-Christmas layoffs yesterday (. . .)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/268911-friday-4-december-2009-a.html

I hope your contrarian nature isn't going to claim that unless they come out and expressly, explicitedly say it is part of their business model, it isn't.

And as to so-called "random" layoffs . . . please. There are no "random" layoffs anywhere and there is a difference between doing something cyclically as part of a model and doing things because of specific downturns in business. Stop playing that card.

avin

First Post
If you two wish to defend it, feel free, but don't try to twist it into an edition war because I'll have none of that.

Me?

Please, point where I supported this decision and, please, do a quick search and look for my last post at Wotc boards, same nickname.

I don't care about editions.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...o-logan-bonner-chris-sims-10.html#post5020354

I think I can speak with some authority on WotC's nearly annual layoff cycle. In addition to being a victim of it, I survived several rounds in which better people than I were let go.

Dire Bare

Legend
I hope your contrarian nature isn't going to claim that unless they come out and expressly, explicitedly say it is part of their business model, it isn't.

And as to so-called "random" layoffs . . . please. There are no "random" layoffs anywhere and there is a difference between doing something cyclically as part of a model and doing things because of specific downturns in business. Stop playing that card.

Dude, really. WotC has certainly laid off people around the end of the year more than a few times. But to state that they must have some sort of annual layoff policy is ridiculous. You really think WotC has a policy that states, "Okay, every year, no matter what, we gotta axe some folks, it's policy!"

I feel WotC could be better managed to avoid the semi-regular end of the year layoffs, and I agree their attitude towards retaining employees is cavalier. But I doubt there are some evil suits twiddling their mustaches and cackling over who'll they'll axe this year.

It's a year-by-year decision, as it is for every company of decent size. It's simply a shame WotC hasn't learned, or taken the time to learn, how to change their business model to avoid this recurring problem.

Bugleyman

First Post
While it's true that layoffs are sometimes a necessity, repeatedly laying people off right before Christmas requires a disturbing lack of sensitivity. Just the sort of lack most often seen in bigger companies, in fact...

Lisa's comments demonstrate that layoffs need not be done carelessly (or heartlessly). Whether or not one likes Pathfinder, Paizo and Co. are good people.

Remove ads