Forked Thread: Chicago Gameday XXI - Return to the Slave Pits - PC planning thread

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
How about I play a Human Rogue if that is cool with everyone?

In case you plan to play a ranged Rogue I thought I should chime in with my approach to the Stealth rules and subsequent errata.

I think the original rules were too cheesy by allowing a Sneak Attacks merely by hanging out behind other party members for cover and making Stealth checks.

I think the errata made things too clunky and make it too difficult to gain Sneak Attack.

I allow for a Stealth roll to be made from behind any terrain feature that provides cover. But you can't use the same terrain feature to gain Combat Advantage twice in a row.

Simple approach and it has been working well for my home group.

I put up a preference in the main thread (on the first page no less :p):

For the purposes of role-coverage, I was planning on making a warlock of some variety. All three pacts are appealing to me.
In any event, the character I've been working up piecemeal throughout the week is a half-elf deceptive warlock (so fey pact powers).

I think we're missing one role, but personally, I'm most interested in sticking with what I've done so far, rather than re-rolling a wizard or warlord (I think those fill the role we're missing?)

Controller. That's what we're missing. Will we be seriously screwed missing one role? If someone's more willing to switch than me, I'd be much obliged.

bigznak

First Post
Do you plan on being up in the thick of it(melee/str build) or do you plan on using more ranged attacks?

Just curious.

I was thinking of using a Dwarf Cleric with Warhammer and Light Shield. I know its typical but I wanted to play a healing cleric in 4th edition and I really didn't feel like playing a human. So to answer your question, more melee than ranged. I have only played limited 4th edition so I hope I won't get lost up in the game. I will review the rules before next week though.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I was thinking of using a Dwarf Cleric with Warhammer and Light Shield. I know its typical but I wanted to play a healing cleric in 4th edition and I really didn't feel like playing a human. So to answer your question, more melee than ranged. I have only played limited 4th edition so I hope I won't get lost up in the game. I will review the rules before next week though.

The best way to be prepared is to have your powers prepared in a tabular format or on cards. Everything else is easy.

Solodan

First Post

Cool, I think that's a solid character concept. I just was asking to make sure we had enough melee fighters so our rogue can get all sneaky all the time via flanking.

I think we've got a good party! I'm lookin' forward to gaming with you all very soon!

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Please remember:

4) You must email a legible character sheet to me no later than Friday, October 31, 2008. Please note any non-Core choices you have made and from what source they are derived. I may ask you to bring any source material to Gameday to which I will not have access.

I'm flexible on the Friday part since the sign-up thread only started last Sunday. Lets change that to Sunday, November 2nd. That's a week following sign-up. I mainly want a chance to review the PCs for prep purposes. It would also be nice to have copies of the characters in case anyone has a last minute obstacle and can't make it.

Also, if at least one of you wouldn't mind sending an extra PC to use as the "sixth spot" in case we get walk-ins I would be grateful. If more than one of you does that's just more choice.

bigznak

First Post
Please remember:

I'm flexible on the Friday part since the sign-up thread only started last Sunday. Lets change that to Sunday, November 2nd. That's a week following sign-up. I mainly want a chance to review the PCs for prep purposes. It would also be nice to have copies of the characters in case anyone has a last minute obstacle and can't make it.

Also, if at least one of you wouldn't mind sending an extra PC to use as the "sixth spot" in case we get walk-ins I would be grateful. If more than one of you does that's just more choice.

Vyv,
How do you want us to submit our characters to you. Send you a word document? I was working on my Dwarf Cleric tonight and I think I got it. I just am having a little trouble understanding skills. Do I really only have 4? Religion and 3 that I choose that I am than trained in? It just seems to be so much smaller than 3.5? Please help if I am way off.

Thanks guys, I am a noob.

Remove ads