Forked Thread: [Ryan Dancey's D&D Death Spiral] - D&D doomed to cult status?

ProfessorPain

First Post
I really, really hate the simplicity of this idea. That because we sold more PHB's back in the day, no version of D&D ever really measure's up. It's ridiculous. It's like saying all video games are a pale shadow of the popularity of Space Invaders since no game since has ever caused a coin shortage in Japan.

I think he has a point though. I remember being a kid in the early 80s, and D&D was much more prevalent. It was just around in a way it hasn't been since. I don't know the numbers or anything; but I do know I saw ads for it on TV, there was a D&D cartoon on saturday morning and the kids in ET were even playing D&D. It felt kind of mainstream.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I have often been accused of being overly pessimistic, but it would appear I have been outdone.

(very militant look)

Yes, from my Cold, Dead Hands. And, as I plan to be around for a while, the Game will live on.
I am a 2nd Generationer. And stubborn. And obsessive. And I'm not going anywhere.

WE will make our Hobby into chess (a game played for centuries, venerated, honored, respected, and known throughout the world) before this is over.

A bunch of setbacks occurring in the space of a few years - 1996 through 2009 - are not going to stop OUR hobby.

I hereby declare the formation of D&D's Army (think of Dumbledore's Army.)
We are going to practice the Hobby, in open and in secret, no matter how many Dolores Umbridges ( *** by that analogy, I refer to the economic woes, competition from computer games, virtual reality, and everything else threatening our hobby *** ) are out there that try to beat the Hobby down.

D&D's Army!

Hussar

Legend
I think he has a point though. I remember being a kid in the early 80s, and D&D was much more prevalent. It was just around in a way it hasn't been since. I don't know the numbers or anything; but I do know I saw ads for it on TV, there was a D&D cartoon on saturday morning and the kids in ET were even playing D&D. It felt kind of mainstream.

I was a kid back then too. I remember being able to buy D&D in the Sear's catalog. Fair enough. But, after that very brief spike, numbers went down. Way down.

Then came White Wolf and a whole new crowd came into the hobby.

Then came 3e and a whole bunch of new people came into the hobby.

While we might not have that huge bubble number, we have a very, very stable number of players world wide. And the big thing is, this number hasn't radically changed for almost a decade. That few million players number has been batted around since 2000. There hasn't been this huge drop in player numbers.

We have a stable, mature (as in non-fad, not age related) body of gamers who continue to play and support the hobby. Some are leaving, some new ones come in. The overall numbers have been reasonably static for almost a decade. Yet, the doom and gloom predictions keep rolling in like clockwork, completely ignoring all of this.

It's like those who gleefully tell all and sundry that SF is dead. That no one reads SF anymore, despite there being far and away more SF out there, selling far and away more than at any time in the past.

If the hobby is dying, going grey, fading out - let's see some proof. I've got pretty decent numbers going back for ten years saying that the gaming body hasn't changed a whole lot. What do the doom and gloom sayers got?

JRRNeiklot

First Post

Yep. The local library was full of D&D games on weekends, there were ads for players on bulletin boards at school (until the teachers pulled them because D&D was satanic). You couldn't go anywhere without seeing something of D&D. Now? Now I see D&D once a week when I game, and maybe at the bookstore.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
This meme has been around for as long as I can remember and it's been shot down any number of times. D&D is NOT smaller than it was back in the day. There are estimates of D&D players pegging regular players at around 3 million players currently.

How anyone can post on a forum with 80 000 + members and claim that D&D is dying off is beyond me.

No, we are not in the twilight of gaming. Sure, there was a two or three year spike when the game was a fad. Sure, those numbers, for that very brief span of time might have been bigger than now. But, the vast majority of those players dropped the hobby very quickly.

If they hadn't, we would STILL be playing 1e.

Some of us STILL are. I've bounced around dozens of game groups over the years, and EVERY single one of them had a majority of people my age, and I'm 40. There was the occasional 20 something who came into the game with 3e or 3.5, but for the most part it's been us old fogies that have been around since the beginning or damn near it. We haven't dropped the hobby, far from it, we keep it alive.

D&D is not dying, I doubt it ever will, no matter how WOTC bastardizes it, but it's far, far from as popular as it was in the day.

cdrcjsn

First Post
And despite biting more off than they can chew, WotC IS actively courting the youth market.

That's partly what this whole online initiative is all about. They failed in some parts, but succeeded well enough in others that I'm confident that they won't be left behind when we're all hooking up to our virtuacasts via our cortex cables in 20 years.

They've invited guys from Penny Arcade to play D&D and record the podcasts. They're directly reaching out to people who are currently in the electronic gaming industry (all types of gaming). I'm not sure if any of you guys go over to those forums or not, but there are tons of people who have never played any version of D&D wanting to play just because of what they heard on those podcasts, of people just having fun.

Heck, even the basic rules of 4e are designed to make the first time experience as fun as possible.

The only way that WotC could possibly do more to court the youth market is to make saturday morning cartoons again (or do a Back Yardigans game supplement).

DracoSuave

First Post
In the 80s, I'd never find myself drinking at a gentleman's club while a rather attractive young stripper tells me about her Elven Paladin.

It's a lot more mainstream than you think, as a lot of geek culture is now mainstream.

Sure the nerds still do it, but at one point my group consisted of an amateur MMA fighter, a local sous-chef, a goth diva, and a construction yard foreman.

I worked in tech support at the time, so I got to be the resident nerd.

It might not be advertised out the wazoo, but it's accessed by a lot more of the populous, and isn't restricted to certain subcultures.

I'd contest where you think the largest portion of D&D players came from. The first wave was frickin' HUGE and no later edition ever outsold what 1e and OD&D were selling in a five year or so period in the early 80s.

We know that in 1989 the Basic Set sold 1,000,000 copies.

In 1991, TSR stopped producing an all-in-one introductory version of the game and replaced that product with a pay-to-preview boxed set. When the Rules Cyclopedia went out of a print a few years later, the only true ruleset for D&D became (for the first time ever) a set of three rulebooks clocking in at 700-900 pages and costing in the ballpark of $100.

That remains the case today.

So if there is a problem getting new players into the hobby, it certainly might be due to factors beyond WotC's control. Maybe video games have irreparably harmed D&D (although weren't video games incredibly popular during the '80s, too?). Maybe people just don't play games face-to-face any more (although Monopoly and its ilk seem to be doing all right). Maybe the game's popularity was entirely fad driven (although it seems to be a fad with an unusually prolonged drop-off).

But I just can't stop looking at the lack of a product like the 1981 or 1983 Basic Sets and saying: "Ya know, the complete lack of a gateway product might have something to do with it."

And maybe the abandonment of mainstream advertising by TSR (and WotC's failure to re-establish it) also contributes.

Some of us STILL are. I've bounced around dozens of game groups over the years, and EVERY single one of them had a majority of people my age, and I'm 40.

There are a couple of factors here:

(1) Everyone tends to associate with people close to their own age (for a myriad number of reasons). This is just as true for gamers as it is for anyone else. I recently had cause to be exposed to a crowd of much younger people and, unsurprisingly, I was suddenly exposed to a number of much younger gamers.

(2) You're playing a game that's been OOP for 20 years. That's some pretty heavy self-selection bias for playing with older gamers.

That few million players number has been batted around since 2000. There hasn't been this huge drop in player numbers.

There's also been no indication that WotC has ever commissioned fresh market data. It's certainly possible that the number has remained steady. It's also more than possible that WotC is doing what lots of companies have done throughout history and continued using an old statistic because there's no new data to replace it.

DracoSuave

First Post
We know that in 1989 the Basic Set sold 1,000,000 copies.

In 1991, TSR stopped producing an all-in-one introductory version of the game and replaced that product with a pay-to-preview boxed set. When the Rules Cyclopedia went out of a print a few years later, the only true ruleset for D&D became (for the first time ever) a set of three rulebooks clocking in at 700-900 pages and costing in the ballpark of $100.

That remains the case today.

This is untrue. See below.

So if there is a problem getting new players into the hobby, it certainly might be due to factors beyond WotC's control. Maybe video games have irreparably harmed D&D (although weren't video games incredibly popular during the '80s, too?). Maybe people just don't play games face-to-face any more (although Monopoly and its ilk seem to be doing all right). Maybe the game's popularity was entirely fad driven (although it seems to be a fad with an unusually prolonged drop-off).

But I just can't stop looking at the lack of a product like the 1981 or 1983 Basic Sets and saying: "Ya know, the complete lack of a gateway product might have something to do with it."

Actually, if you must know, H1 has a complete copy of basic D&D rules, characters to play with those rules, and gives you everything you need to play up to 3rd level, and a complete adventure to get you there.

That is, if nothing else, exactly what a gateway product should do.

There's also been no indication that WotC has ever commissioned fresh market data. It's certainly possible that the number has remained steady. It's also more than possible that WotC is doing what lots of companies have done throughout history and continued using an old statistic because there's no new data to replace it.

While there's no direct indication, when WoTC acquired T$R, one of the first things they mentioned was that T$R wasn't gathering market data, and was out of touch with their market as a result.

WoTC has always gone forth with the intention of managing the D&D brand with competance and to be successful with it, and they have been. It's hard to argue that they've been negligent in collecting market data; the company is a whore for market data with their other flagship line, as is their parent company. It's unreasonable to assume they wouldn't.

Remove ads