D&D 4E Former 4E doubter , I have high hopes now

Like a lot of people here, I tend to bitch when WoTC does something I hate.

So , I think it's time for me to say something.

I was originally a 4E doubter. I looked at the weaker 3E books, and extrapolated, and assumed the worst. I read everything posted with a critical eye. I complained on this forum.

The thing is, I am finding that I like the vast majority of what has been announced about 4E since then. The implied setting. The cosmology changes. The slaughter of numerous Forgotten Realms NPCs. The design goals of the rules mechanics.

Things are starting to look really good, in my opinion.

There are a few things I don't like. But they are drowned out by the changes I think I'll be happy about. In my opinion, the design team has the right goals, and from what I can tell, they're doing a great job of realizing them.

So I thought I'd post this, to give credit where credit is due.

I wonder how many other former doubters feel the same way?

Ken

Transit

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
Judging by the debate around here, I'd say the number would just about equal the number of former 4E supporters that now have serious doubts about 4E.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Transit said:
Judging by the debate around here, I'd say the number would just about equal the number of former 4E supporters that now have serious doubts about 4E.

True, and people are probably going to run the gamut from lovers to haters several times over between now and June of 2008. And afterwards, too. :)

GAAAHHH

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
Things are starting to look really good, in my opinion.

There are a few things I don't like. But they are drowned out by the changes I think I'll be happy about. In my opinion, the design team has the right goals, and from what I can tell, they're doing a great job of realizing them.

So I thought I'd post this, to give credit where credit is due.
Ken

That's my position right now. I'm a bit skeptical about Bo9S style powers for fighters, and quicker level advancement, but most of the other changes look good. Plus, with Necromancer and Goodman in the 4th edition market, I'm very optimistic.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Haffrung Helleyes said:
Ken

Actually, in my case, I was a doubter who has cast his doubts aside. At this point, I want nothing to do with 4th edition based on what I've read on EN World and at the WotC site.

Lucius Drake

First Post
I was interested as soon as I heard the announcement that 4e was coming.
At first I was thinking "oh no, not another 3.5e" but then I looked back over the last few years and remembered just how much fun my friends and I have been having playing D&D!
I read the staff blogs and the official news and any scrap of substance I can find and am at this point confident that the design and development teams are doing the best work that they can with the goal of improving a game that, while good, is due for an edition change.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
cperkins said:
Actually, in my case, I was a doubter who has cast his doubts aside. At this point, I want nothing to do with 4th edition (except the ENWorld 4th Edition forum) based on what I've read on EN World and at the WotC site.

Fixed. :)

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:

If someone (like me) reads up on 4th edition and, based on their informed opinion, doesn't care for it that person is allowed to share their opinion (especially in a thread about hopes and doubts for 4th edition).

As someone who has loved D&D for years, I'm really hoping to read news that piques my interest in 4th edition but, sadly, there has been a dearth of such information. Sorry if you feel that those who criticize 4th edition don't have a place on these boards BUT I'd like to have an informed opinion... or would you rather have people people blindly love or hate D&D?

Last edited:

JohnSnow

Hero
cperkins said:
If someone (like me) reads up on 4th edition and, based on their informed opinion, doesn't care for it that person is allowed to share their opinion (especially in a thread about hopes and doubts for 4th edition).

As someone who has loved D&D for years, I'm really hoping to read news that piques my interest in 4th edition but, sadly, there has been a death of such information.

I thought you'd decided you wanted nothing to do with it?

Changing your mind already? Isn't that a bit indecisive?

Remove ads