• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forsakers and Monks

Can a Forsaker use Supernatural abilities?

Also, I rember a chart showing an unarmed attack progression for Monks taking other class levels, but I can't find it anywhere. Where is it, and is it core material or extra?

Thanks!

Crothian

First Post
The monks unarmed progession was only for certain monk prestige classes that specifically stacked with it. OA has it I think.

gtJormungand

First Post
The chart is definitely in the Oriental Adventures book.

hm... I don't remember if Forsakers can use supernatural abilities... it would seem odd, though. Being on spring break, I can't look it up right now.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I think Sean K. also posted an essay about his house rule that allows monks to multiclass and continue their progression. It's on his site along with his other myriad ramblings.

shilsen

Adventurer
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
Can a Forsaker use Supernatural abilities?

The forsaker description only says that he must "renounce the use of any spellcasting and spell-like abilities". Supernatural abilities are never specifically mentioned. So it seems like they can use them, but that, IMO, goes against the flavor of the PrC.

Zhure

First Post
OA, page 33-34
"Character who have levels of only monk classes always get more unarmed attacks than they would noramlly get based on their base attack bonus (additionaly attacks at intervals of -3, instead of -5). Characters who have levels in other classes as well may or may not gain an advantage from this, and any advantage is often slight.

"Table 3-1: Multiple Unarmed Attacks
Base Attack Bonus Additional Unarmed Attacks
+0 .... ---
+1 .... ---
+2 .... ---
+3 .... ---
+4 .... +1
+5 .... +2
+6 .... +3
+7 .... +4/+1
+8 .... +5/+2
+9 .... +6/+3
+10 ... +7/+4/+1
+11 ... +8/+5/+2
+12 ... +9/+6/+3
+13 ... +10/+7/+4/+1
+14 ... +11/+8/+5/+2
+15 ... +12/+9/+6/+3

"Example: Asako Turima is a 10th-level monk/4th-level henshin mystic. His base attack bonus is +10 (+7 from his monk levels, +3 from his henshin mystic levels). Normally, this would give him an additional attack at +5. He can instead take the additional unarmed attacks listed for his +10 attack bonus (since the entire bonus is derived from monk and mystic levels) on Table 3-1: Multiple Unarmed Attacks, +7/+4/+1. Thus, he can make four attacks in a round with an unarmed strike (or a monk weaopn), at +10, +7, +4 and +1. When using another weapon, he can make two attacks at +10 and +5. He has the unarmed damage, AC bonus and speed of a 14th-level monk.

"Togashi Tidaiko, however, is a 3rd-level samurai/5th-level monk/ 7th-level tattooed monk. Her base attack bonus is +11 (+3 from her samurai levels, +3 from her monk levels, and +5 from her tattooed monk levels). Normally she would have two additional attacks at +6 and +1. She can instead take the additional unarmed attacks listed for a +8 base attack bonus from her monk and tattooed monk levels on Table 3-1, +5 and +2. She makes three attacks in a round, whether armed or unarmed. If unarmed (or using a monk weapon), she can choose whether to strike at +11/+6/+1 or at +11/+5/+2. Armed with an ordinary weapon, she must attack at +11/+6/+1. She has the unarmed damage, AC bonus, and abase speed of a 12-th level monk."

Felix

Explorer
Yeah, Forsakers can still use their Supernatural abilities; which is a good thing too. If you're thinking about playing one, see if you can't wrangle the DM to give you a (Su) ability at first level that allows you to tell if an item is magical by touching it. Otherwise, how would he know what to break?

Re: Re: Forsakers and Monks

shilsen said:

The forsaker description only says that he must "renounce the use of any spellcasting and spell-like abilities". Supernatural abilities are never specifically mentioned. So it seems like they can use them, but that, IMO, goes against the flavor of the PrC.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I thought I'd as. A Forsaker Monk is looking preety sweet. Does anyone know of an an official FaQ. I checked the Eratta, but didn't see anything.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Forsakers and Monks

shilsen said:

I say that a forsaker routinely adventuring with your usual PCs who have magic dripping out their ears has already shredded the flavour of the PrC anyway, so a little bit more can't hurt. :cool:

shilsen

Adventurer
hong said:

I say that a forsaker routinely adventuring with your usual PCs who have magic dripping out their ears has already shredded the flavour of the PrC anyway, so a little bit more can't hurt. :cool:

:D

Remove ads