Fortune Cards Threads [Merged]

Tortoise

First Post
I pre-ordered a box of boosters and this is why . . .

I see these as another form of random encounter, under my control.

As a DM I sometimes plan out areas where strange events (or "wandering monster encounters) can happen, either pro or con for the characters. Mostly minor stuff designed to keep things interesting.

I'll be putting these together in small decks tailored to different areas. Since I'm planning them into the adventures it isn't totally random, though it does give it enough randomness that I can be pleasantly surprised and it adds to the re-visit value of a location for the players.

Since they are not a requirement for the game I do not see them as a problem.

MrMyth

First Post
I'm sad they are basically just 'free bonus powers' - I had been hoping for something that would more represent random events and conditions that could be good or bad.

As it is, I wouldn't want to see PCs just running around with them. I could see some house-ruled approaches for their use: Handing them out in place of Action Points, or giving them out as a sort of consumable treasure, or whenever the PCs get one, so does the DM.

Basically - if I had them, I'd find a way to use them, but I don't feel the need to go out and buy them, especially for the price.

blalien

First Post
I could see using them instead of action points. If you add one level of complication, it would make sense to take away another. But my players love their action points, and I don't think they'd want to lose them in favor of something random and uncontrollable.

C_M2008

First Post
The CCG company wants to make D&D into one? --shocking.

I imagine this is but the first step - race & class boosters coming soon to a store near you............

Riastlin

First Post
Personally, they are not my taste. I just don't think they'll add that much to the game and when you add that to the randomness and price of the packs, it makes it even less desirable.

However, I am fine with WotC giving it a try. Obviously MTG has done pretty well for them so I think they and/or Hasbro are trying to find a viable way to implement the collectible model into the D&D line. I see it as likely a relatively low cost (thus low risk) investment for WotC. If they sell well, we'll see more, but if they flop (which is my guess) we won't. The cost of producing the cards though is likely far less than the cost of a book, so even though I don't think it'll sell well, it still seems like something that is worth a shot from their perspective.

renau1g

First Post
You could house-rule it for your campaign to have a Master Deck, built by the DM, instead of individual decks for each player.

Can't houserule in LFR IIRC... that's where I see this type of thing potentially being problematic. In a home game I can trust my fellow gamers of 10+ years not to be complete jackasses and cheat, but in LFR games...well there's some "interesting" people out there that need to win at D&D (probably the same guys that play online games to pwn noobs or something)

*ugh* and don't get me started on the Twitter boosts. How is it explained in game Scribble? (I ask you because you seem familiar with them). The gods have granted you a boon because you follow their Twitter update account? It's silly...maybe next if I friend them on Facebook I can get a auto-crit on my next attack, or if I follow them on LinkedIn I can get more buffs...

Remove ads