Fortune Cards Threads [Merged]

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
They're not for me or my game. But as long as I don't have a player show up to the game with a deck of them saying "let's use them!" (which I don't anticipate happening with my group) then I don't have a problem with them.

*ugh* and don't get me started on the Twitter boosts. How is it explained in game Scribble? (I ask you because you seem familiar with them). The gods have granted you a boon because you follow their Twitter update account? It's silly...maybe next if I friend them on Facebook I can get a auto-crit on my next attack, or if I follow them on LinkedIn I can get more buffs...

I'm derailing my own thread. If you follow WotC on twitter you get in-game bonuses for your characters? What sane DM allows this?

Sebastianelgar

First Post
From what my friends that play in the Wednesday Encounters. The twitter boosts are minor boons that can occur during Encounters, I think they said one was a mist forms around you granting cold resist 2 for the rest of the encounter. But they aren't for all games just the weekly game at YFLGS running Encounters.

weem

First Post
What are "Twitter Buffs" and where can I see them?

Here are some examples...

Bahamut grants his divine power to the heroes in this fight against evil. Characters gain a +5 to Heal checks.

You find the strength to fight, despite the odds! Characters gain 3 temporary hit points when they miss with an attack.

The spirit of an ancient bullywug shaman emerges, blessing the heroes as they hop into action. They may shift 1 as a minor action.

A hungry displacer beast watches the battle from the cavern entrance. Enemies are unnerved & grant combat advantage

The sun breaks through the clouds making a rainbow in the water dipping in from above. Heroes gain a +2 bonus to saving throws

The heavy rain drips from the ceiling, soaking your clothes. Creatures gain resist 1 to acid and fire

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I think fortune cards are a fine 'mechanic' for what many DMs already do. If I happen by a pack in the store, I likely will grab ONE to check them out and spring them on an unsuspecting player. Beyond that, I think we all agree this feature is something any DM could do (or not) on their own.

My real point of this post though, is to say I dpon't think this is a topic we will be debating very long. I just don't see this as a viable product, and I presume they will be only briefly produced.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I'm sad they are basically just 'free bonus powers' - I had been hoping for something that would more represent random events and conditions that could be good or bad.

As it is, I wouldn't want to see PCs just running around with them. I could see some house-ruled approaches for their use: Handing them out in place of Action Points, or giving them out as a sort of consumable treasure, or whenever the PCs get one, so does the DM.

Basically - if I had them, I'd find a way to use them, but I don't feel the need to go out and buy them, especially for the price.

Ahh, I too assumed they would be more 'random' and less 'power-ey' in nature. And I too never presumed the players would carry them to the table and be able to spend them "indiscriminately". I definitely viewed them as AP type 'rewards' that may or may not be totally beneficial when 'revealed'.

Remove ads