• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fortune Cards Threads [Merged]

Obryn

Hero
I was pretty indifferent to them until I read that web page. Now, I simply don't like the idea of them at all.

The idea of players buying randomized booster packs and constructing decks for an RPG is just ... well, I don't like it, and I won't be allowing it at my table. I also don't think I'm exactly alone in this - I have a feeling this product is simply not needed for a game of D&D, and that most players and groups will pass them up completely. I'm not giving up on WotC or anything silly like that - but I think it's a misguided idea, and I don't see it being very successful. (Then again, at $0.50 per card, WotC may not need to sell that many to recoup their costs.)

I genuinely like the idea of having a deck of fortune cards for use at the table. I simply don't like the idea of players getting in-game advantages by spending money to build a better deck of cards.

-O

Dungeoneer

First Post
Then again, at $0.50 per card, WotC may not need to sell that many to recoup their costs.
I know, seriously. Between these and the Gamma World cards, they must be printing them on solid gold. Either that or China is buying up all the world's card stock*.

I genuinely like the idea of having a deck of fortune cards for use at the table. I simply don't like the idea of players getting in-game advantages by spending money to build a better deck of cards.

There are lots of cool things that you could do with decks of cards. In fact I am working on a Desert Event deck for Dark Sun. And of course there's the fabled Deck of Many Things.

But any player that shows up at my table with a box of buff cards is in for a shock.

* I believe this is the plot of the next Bond movie.

mudlock

First Post
Well I had a player try something similar once... good ol' cheating dice.

d6's with no 1's (another 6) when rolling up PC's... d20's with no 1 (another 20)... he wasn't allowed to bring his own dice after that...kinda sad actually...

I have a (fair!) pair of 2d6s that include an 8 on one face.

Always a hoot to see people's faces when that comes up.

(And yes, the pair is actually fair. 1/6 chance of a 7, 1/36 of a 2 or 12, etc.)

Festivus

First Post
I think I understand why LFR dropped the campaign cards now... because WoTC is going to make it so that you can play with these cards in public play.

Ugh. Probably the straw that will break LFR's back in my opinion (if it's not already broken). I was happy to see the rewards cards go... I'll be sad when they come right back in retail form.

This is something I for sure do not want to deal with.

delericho

Legend
Well, there goes any hope I had for 5e.

And my attitude to WotC was just returning to neutral from the Character Builder debacle, too.

Dear WotC,

Why do you hate D&D?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Not sure I understand the angst. Use them or not, just like any other part of the game. I could see them being interesting in the chaos planes of any DMs' world....

I'll likely pass, or, if I do use them, I'd also let the monsters use them...which is what I might do in certain cases.

Wizards of the Coast may be the only company in the world that believes that selling customers packages of random things is a viable business model.

Um, not really. It can be a great model though. MTG has been going strong for many years.

This. Why is it evil and underhanded for a business to try to make money?

And this. They not only have a right, but a duty to thier shareholders to get as much revenue from thier IP as possible. The truth is that it doesn't matter if D&D is an rpg or a ccg so long as the money is right. This helps to insure the health and growth of the industry which is all that matters. :angel:

Festivus

First Post
Not sure I understand the angst. Use them or not, just like any other part of the game. I could see them being interesting in the chaos planes of any DMs' world....

I'll likely pass, or, if I do use them, I'd also let the monsters use them...which is what I might do in certain cases.

My concern is in public play options... not home games. In home games they are totally optional. In public play... probably optional for players, but DMs have no choice but to deal with them (and the adventure writers too).

One of the arguments for the removal of the LFR reward cards was that they made crafting the adventures too difficult.

I too will likely pass on them.

hayek

Explorer
Like'em or not, they are some definite power creep. I know their random, but they seem to be all good things. Why not make a character take a feat or give up a power in return for the option to use'em? I also think they'd be cool if they were given out as a magic item - a deck of these would make for an interesting redux of the Deck of Many Things in 4e terms - crazy, exciting randomness, but it's not permanent.

Remove ads