Forum Arrangement

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm considering one more forum, with the caveat that the threads can be moved back easily. I was thinking of using the ICv2 chart to determine which games are popular enough to warrant their own forum. D&D, Pathfinder, and Star Wars are the top three obvious choices. Then we have a few choices - Cypher System right now, or Shadowrun or Fate from other recent charts.

delericho

Legend
I'm considering one more forum, with the caveat that the threads can be moved back easily. I was thinking of using the ICv2 chart to determine which games are popular enough to warrant their own forum.

Doesn't that have the problem that what's hot in terms of game-store sales may well not be what's hot amongst ENWorld members? In particular, Numenera was largely sold via Kickstarter and so probably has an artificially low position on the charts.

Based on a cursory glance at the thread tags that crop up (and ignoring all the "Aberrant" threads that the spambots seem to like), there really don't seem to be any games that see much traffic. So maybe there's no pressing need for another forum at this time?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Doesn't that have the problem that what's hot in terms of game-store sales may well not be what's hot amongst ENworld members?

It does, yes.

Based on a cursory glance at the thread tags that crop up (and ignoring all the "Aberrant" threads that the spambots seem to like), there really don't seem to be any games that see much traffic. So maybe there's no pressing need for another forum at this time?

The context of the thread isn't pressing needs. It's experimentation to test the causation hypothesis in the OP.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The context of the thread isn't pressing needs. It's experimentation to test the causation hypothesis in the OP.

Are you tracking the number of threads and number of posts per day in the new forums over time? I think the search function will allow us to build up that information after the fact, come to think of it. So we can have some data, rather than just impressions. On which day did you create the Star Wars forum?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are you tracking the number of threads and number of posts per day in the new forums over time? I think the search function will allow us to build up that information after the fact, come to think of it. So we can have some data, rather than just impressions. On which day did you create the Star Wars forum?

It's slow enough that we don't need the search function.

It opened on 9th May (10 days ago). There have been exactly 20 threads since then, 7 of which I started. I think that's OK - less than 1 a day would be an issue, I think.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's slow enough that we don't need the search function.

Okay, so what was the impact on General? How many threads (or posts) per week were we getting before this, and how many after? Because the activity change is not necessarily just "consider anything in the new forum as something that would have been in General".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, so what was the impact on General? How many threads (or posts) per week were we getting before this, and how many after? Because the activity change is not necessarily just "consider anything in the new forum as something that would have been in General".

No significant change at all.

Remove ads