Forum Arrangement

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, the content is the same (except that it includes news articles also). The layout is different, but otherwise they're functionally the same page. The all-threads page strips out some of the extra content and doesn't show a preview of the thread content.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As does mine.

FWIW, I personally found that forum to be slightly more useful than "What's New?" Seeing things at the thread level as opposed to the post level made it easier- for me, at least- to see the spammers. My personal pattern recognition synapses see more contrast between regular postings and most of those of the spammers. Especially right now when the spammers seem to be making new threads more than posting in other people's threads.

(The obvious exception is those spam posts within threads.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So, as an aside, anyone got any thoughts on the OP?

I think you're basically right: empty, dead forums do you no favors. I'm a member of 4 community forums here, and the only one with a post in the past year is the one that started this year.

Personally, I think the RPG community is diverse enough that you're on the right track of dividing up the board in to subfora for different interests. I mostly understand why you have them divided the way you do, but I probably would have done it slightly differently. I probably would have separated them along genre lines- FRPGs, Sci-Fi, Supers, Horror, etc., with the thought in mind that concepts, lessons, resources and the like from games within a genre can be fairly easily ported into others.

Of course, then people would point out genre-mashing games like RIFTS or Shadowrun.:lol:

Remove ads