Forum Suddenly Switched How Named Are Displayed?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am not sure what the reasoning behind that would be if this were an intentional change. I could perhaps learn to live with the format change but the XP change just takes up more space on the page needlessly.

My guess (and Morrus can correct me if I am wrong) is that this alteration is not so much about the minutae of font sizes. It is probably more about system performance - to see if this template may render faster, with fewer calls to the database, than the old one.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Not a comment per se, but a question: is the change at the Morrus level or the vBulletin level? My first thought, having been away a few days and only now seen it on my iPad, is that it was a mobile version rendering, but folks are commenting on it being on their desktop too. But that doesn’t answer who flipped the switch (or clicked the radio button, as it were) on the change.

That said, it does read well on mobile devices, as it gives more of the screen’s limited real estate to the message.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I noticed the XP level (or whatever it was called) for each poster is missing now, too.

I also find the new format more difficult to read, and I miss the XP level bit. We can still give XP and laugh with a post, but if the levels are gone what does it do?

Not a comment per se, but a question: is the change at the Morrus level or the vBulletin level? My first thought, having been away a few days and only now seen it on my iPad, is that it was a mobile version rendering, but folks are commenting on it being on their desktop too. But that doesn’t answer who flipped the switch (or clicked the radio button, as it were) on the change.

That said, it does read well on mobile devices, as it gives more of the screen’s limited real estate to the message.

I'm guessing that it was done at Morrus' level as part of his on going effort to make "a much cleaner, less cluttered skin in an attempt to improve performance."

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The new format is easier to read, especially on smaller screens. Removing the badges removes a lot of clutter. I "owned" a number of badges, but I don't mind much if they are now gone if it improves the sites performance and makes the site render better on more devices. Some people, however, may be miffed if they bought badges that are now gone. It would be nice if badges could be displayed on the users "About Me" page.

What does bother me, however, is that the experience titles are now gone. That was part of the site's flavor that I've enjoyed very much. The green status-bar graphic does not have the same flavor. Sure you can get however your mouse over the graphic to have the title appear in the hover-text, but that's not as convenient and take a fun part of the site and makes more of an easter egg.

I would rather display the XP-title text instead of the green bar. You could also save screen real estate by combining the member subscriber lines. So, for example, my profile squib would be:

----------
|IMAGE| MNBlockhead o
|IMAGE| Community Supporter: Copper
|IMAGE| Spellbinder (Level 16)
----------

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would rather display the XP-title text instead of the green bar. You could also save screen real estate by combining the member subscriber lines. So, for example, my profile squib would be:

----------
|IMAGE| MNBlockhead o
|IMAGE| Community Supporter: Copper
|IMAGE| Spellbinder (Level 16)
----------
Agreed. If I don't get my daily dose of feeling bad that [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] is higher level than me, I don't really feel like I visited ENWorld.

Remove ads