Forums not working right with iPad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Did a little research and I see that VB 5 connect supports mobile using Forum Runner apps. It is an option that can be added to VB 4x. It is free on the back end, but users would have to pay a couple bucks for the app, so not ideal.

We use Tapatalk here instead. Forum runner is a bit crappy.

Siberys

Adventurer
I have this problem too, and it shows up on both my iPad and my (small) laptop. That makes me think it's probably a CSS issue, though I haven't really done any digging to find out. My gut reaction when I first saw it was that the news sidebar was somehow involved.

Dang, now I'm curious. Time to pull out the developer tools!

EDIT: It is not extant in Firefox, but is in Chrome. That is the browser I use on my iPad, but I'd be unsurprised if it were around in Safari, too - they're built on the same code.

The table element with the class "cke_editor" has a minimum width of 731 px for some reason - I wasn't able to figure it out past there, because Chrome's built-in tools wouldn't let me add in an element definition to dig around, they'd only let me modify existing ones. That's the problem, anyways. Since the table element has a minimum size larger than the div or span containing it, the textarea extends outside of it.

My guess is it's something in CKEditor's code butting heads with something else in the site. A quick CSS mod should be able to "fix" it, but that's the hacky way to do it.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Interesting. I have downloaded dolphin and I'm seeing the same issue with it. Still carries my new text right out of the box.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I use an iPad here all the time (iPad 3, 7.1 ios, Chrome) and have the issue also when adding posts, but have learned to live with it. (It's annoying especially when i tap inside the message body box and the cursor disappears, but I learned the workaround on that is to tap inside the title, then tap focus back to the msg body, and the cursor reappears. Also, setting the message editor to simple instead of the either the advanced WYSIWYG mode or standard mode gets rid of the problem. I don't have the ribbon at the top then, but most of the time What I have to say doesn't need fancy formatting, and when I do I have the vBulletin tags memorized anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads