Is The Forum Getting More Antagonistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Does there have to be?

Someone pulled out nazi in a convo about D&D when referencing traditional ASI preferences. They never talked directly to me. That is an insta block by me. They too may think “why can’t I see all of the responses?”
I agree with what you said, but I think the Nazi example is a bit extreme in this particular case.

It would just blow my mind to think anything I said on this forum could be equated with Nazism.

But, the Internet is a big place, and someone once accused me of being a Nazi for suggesting that all children should be taught proper English in school.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I agree with what you said, but I think the Nazi example is a bit extreme in this particular case.

It would just blow my mind to think anything I said on this forum could be equated with Nazism.

But, the Internet is a big place, and someone once accused me of being a Nazi for suggesting that all children should be taught proper English in school.
Understood. That was not a typical event, thankfully!

I will be more general: there are some folks that evoke a need to debate about matters that make one or both of us uncomfortable without the hope of one person “seeing the light.”

In these cases they pull things out of ME that I don’t like. Who cares if random stranger acknowledges I am right?

My friendly recommendation was not truly to compare events but to suggest a way to have fun here that is less stressful. Ymmv and all of that.

But I find blocking helps me have a more relaxed fun time here without tempting me to engage in things that don’t add value.

All good whatever others choose. But used judiciously it’s helped me use the site to engage in recreation with many fewer aversive interactions.

I am not admitting fault per se nor denying it; I am just being pragmatic in the end.

Have fun!

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
If it keeps happening, it is possible you may be too conservative for the site, in which case you could try RPGPub. But...some people are just not going to like you whatever your views.

That may be true, but it's all relative.

My step father has called me a "Commie Pinko Liberal" on a number of occasions. So for someone to view me as a Faux News watcher is both amusing and disturbing.

I am not a Nazi expert, but wouldn't they want all children to learn proper German instead?

That may be true, but it's all relative.

My step father has called me a "Commie Pinko Liberal" on a number of occasions. So for someone to view me as a Faux News watcher is both amusing and disturbing.

Even if you weren't using something as extreme as comparing someone to a Nazi, there is a strong possibility that you said something that offended people. Maybe without intending to offend. Maybe you said something consensual in a way that didn't click well with someone. Maybe you said something that was read out of context, or you said something that rang a bell with certain people because of their cultural history. It doesn't mean you intended it and it doesn't mean the person banning you for not wanted to read about it is wrong, anymore that it made you wrong by saying so. Banning is the answer to the idea that: "when you speak, you engage with every reader". When you don't want to engage with everyone, you ban the ones you don't want to engage with, even remotely. Sure, as a result, one miss out the content produced by the people they banned, but this is an expected trade-off of selecting who one is engaging with.

I mean, if I were a sensitive accountant, I could want to ban you because I could decide that your username is offensive to my profession. And a I can see a few people finding the Foggy Bottom setting to be ridiculous and ban me because of my statement of what is fun. There is nothing wrong, or right, in doing so.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Banning is the answer to the idea that: "when you speak, you engage with every reader". When you don't want to engage with everyone, you ban the ones you don't want to engage with, even remotely. Sure, as a result, one miss out the content produced by the people they banned, but this is an expected trade-off of selecting who one is engaging with.
And the bolded is a price I'm not willing to pay.

Sooner or later everyone has something worthwhile to say and I'd rather not miss it when it happens.

The nice thing about this site is the signal-to-noise ratio is kept high and thus those worthwhile things come up more often. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads