Is The Forum Getting More Antagonistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I would bet the context would make this sound at least a little less ridiculous, though you never know.

My main pont in responding, though, is to point out that there is no such thing as "proper English". English comes in many different forms and none of them have any more claim of being "proper" than any other form.

For example, it used to be pretty common for people to say that pronouncing "ask" as "acks" is not "proper English". Generally people now recognize that as a racist attitude, since that pronunciation is common specifically in AAVE.
Apropos, Gaiman had retweeted this this morning:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Apropos, Gaiman had retweeted this this morning:
Another area where folks tend to be less aware is some of the accents and traditions of Appalachia and the South.

Accents and dialect are often related to and closer to some of their European roots and varying based upon who settled in that area.

For me the big lesson is always to be less judgmental. That said, many of us are guilty of it while trying to champion understanding of a different group!

That includes when explaining things to people…looking back on my youth I cringe at my efforts to share something with an older relative while not really knowing where they came from and what they knew.

People adapt and many bad habits are just adaptation to a different environmental reality. I can write papers and navigate the internet but would be screwed if I had to live off the land or do too much home repair.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Another area where folks tend to be less aware is some of the accents and traditions of Appalachia and the South.

Accents and dialect are often related to and closer to some of their European roots and varying based upon who settled in that area.

For me the big lesson is always to be less judgmental. That said, many of us are guilty of it while trying to champion understanding of a different group!

That includes when explaining things to people…looking back on my youth I cringe at my efforts to share something with an older relative while not really knowing where they came from and what they knew.

People adapt and many bad habits are just adaptation to a different environmental reality. I can write papers and navigate the internet but would be screwed if I had to live off the land or do too much home repair.
AAVE actually has some features Standard English doesn't--there's a more complex tense system, for instance.

Agreed--I wouldn't last ten minutes in the woods.

I do remember reading that a lot of the 'culture of poverty'--early childbearing, willingness to engage in physical aggression, immediate consumption--are actually rational responses, either individually or collectively, to a dangerous present and uncertain future. (A shortened generation time makes sense for an organism in a dangerous environment, for instance, whether it's plants or people, and if there's a lot of crime around you'd better be able to fight, and make sure everyone around you knows it.)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
As far as I can tell, I have completely failed in my quest to become the most ignored user on Enworld! Looks like I'll have to pull out the big guns...

You never made it as a wise man
You couldn't cut it as a cleric healing
You tired of playing as a good man
Now you wants to play a class that's unappealing
And this is how you remind me

This is how you remind me
Of what Bards really are
This is how you remind me
Of what Bards really are

You never will say that you're sorry
Play a different Bard but the same old story
You play a class that's godforsaken
Another cutting word and my mind is achin'

You say that I 'm wrong, Bards are fine
Same jokes scrape the bottom of every barrel
These five words in my head
Scream "Have I been ignored yet?"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
So, this seems to have run down into most a discussion of language, and two folks arguing about the Ignore functionality.

These are both rather off the topic, and we are likely into the "attractive nuisance" phase of a thread's development. Which means we can let it go. Thanks, all, for your thoughts and perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads