• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Foundry Users: What Game Should I Run to Learn The Platform

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ok, I'm going to have to add something to my previous statement. As of the current release of Foundry (v10), the very helpful module PDF to Foundry is no longer working - and I don't know if/when it will.
So if you want to play official adventures you're going to be entering them yourself or have to be satisfied with the smattering of releases Paizo has offered (basically just the newest releases.)
Can you roll back to v9?

Retreater

Legend
Can you roll back to v9?
I don't think so - but maybe? I'm on the Forge and I think the service doesn't give us all the options.

Update: No. I rolled back to a previously saved world. Lost all the character progress that had happened in the interim. Then the Forge forced the update to v10. So double whammy - worst option.
At this point it's either quit playing PF2, change campaigns to one of the three offered by Paizo, or manually put in everything like I was doing on Roll20.

This really stinks.

Last edited:

I don't think so - but maybe? I'm on the Forge and I think the service doesn't give us all the options.

Update: No. I rolled back to a previously saved world. Lost all the character progress that had happened in the interim. Then the Forge forced the update to v10. So double whammy - worst option.
At this point it's either quit playing PF2, change campaigns to one of the three offered by Paizo, or manually put in everything like I was doing on Roll20.

This really stinks.
I also run on the Forge. You can create a new game/world with an older version but at this point most of the modules have proceeded to 10. I thought the functionality of PDF Foundry had been rolled into 10 as well but I may be wrong. The only game I've run that needed it was GURPS and I'm not sure I'd really actually need it. If that makes sense.

If you create a new world in an older version, you are always going to be notified about a new stable version being available.

This is the specific PDF conversion of Pathfinder 2 content. And it hasn't been upgraded to 10.
And man, it's going to take 10+ hours of work to get it to even a passable level of being able to play.
Gotcha. You were referring to the module that converted the ap's over to foundry journal entries and what not. I thought you were referring to a different module. I guess with them selling official content on the AP's it makes for them to want that module discontinued.

And that's one thing that's important to point. As Retreater mentioned 10+ to add something. My experience equals his. I'm running Wrath of the Righteous for Savage Pathfinder and building out journal entries and maps and what not is time consuming. In my experience it takes longer to prep something for a VTT (any VTT, I've used all of the big three) than it does to prep the same thing for an in person game.

These day's I don't build out the journal entries unless it's player facing for anything. I only create items I can't find in the compendiums. I build out the battlemaps and monsters as real entries (Scenes, Items, Characters) and try and put at little in the VTT I can get away with as a GM. Player facing quality of life issues I concentrate on. Making it pretty, spell effects etc.

My third monitor runs One Note with the text from the PDF's copied and pasted into it. As I read the module I copy and paste entries into One Note as I need them. I'm cutting and combining alot of content anyway.

Retreater

Legend
Gotcha. You were referring to the module that converted the ap's over to foundry journal entries and what not. I thought you were referring to a different module. I guess with them selling official content on the AP's it makes for them to want that module discontinued.
As I understand it, it's because the fan creator (FryGuy) was doing this for free as a hobby and it became too much work. I can't fault that.
From what I've heard, Paizo would have let the module continue. While FryGuy wasn't adding new content to it since spring 2022 (I think), all the previous stuff (APs, art from Bestiaries, PFS modules, etc.) were still usable - that is, until v10 of Foundry VTT made the entire PDF to Foundry module incompatible. No new material can be added by GMs on Foundry.
I don't believe there is anything nefarious or conspiratorial behind this development, even though I am cheesed beyond what should be allowed by law. ;)
The thing that stinks the most about it is that I can't even purchase a Foundry version of the AP I'm in the process of running - so it's not like this is in direct competition with the three other APs currently available. We have a couple weeks of play with the stuff I've already loaded. After that, it could be time to make the difficult decision to give up on Foundry and Pathfinder 2. There's not enough paid content that we can use to keep a game going.
It's just like I feared when Paizo announced their official Foundry content earlier this year: they wouldn't be able to keep up with their own in-print release schedule.

Sucks it became a full time job for FryGuy. Glad it's not Paizo.

Would it be easier to start a new game in the Forge using V9 (which it will allow, I tested it this morning) and then re-create the characters?

You'd have to go find V9 compatible forks of the modules you commonly use though, which would a problem in itself, a one-time problem though rather an ongoing input the AP into Foundry type problem.

Retreater

Legend
Would it be easier to start a new game in the Forge using V9 (which it will allow, I tested it this morning) and then re-create the characters?
It wouldn't allow me to do so. It wouldn't let me use the Pathfinder 2e ruleset because it's not compatible with V9.
Unless I could delete PF2, find the last version of PF2 that was compatible with PDF Import, install that and all other modules I use, and re-do the whole thing (assuming it works).

You might reach out to the pf2 e developer and see if they have a manifest url to a V9 version. I can’t imagine more folks upgraded to 10, in your circumstance, and then didn’t want to try and revert.

Remove ads