• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourth Edition Retro Clone

Tallifer

Hero
[MENTION=6686908]As for a retroclone of 4E that is like OSRIC, rebuilding the edition as far as legally possible under OGL, I've tried to start a project called 4SRD but it currently suffers from the problem that I have zero free time to spare. Help is welcome.

I like the open design aspect of this, and I would like to make some contributions. It will be a nice resource when the official on-line resources for the Fourth Edition fall away. The wiki format is easy to hyperlink for ease of use. Wikipedia itself has several how-to pages to instruct people how to format pages and link pages.

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
If you are interested in the project, you should check out its thread at rpg.net. There is a lot more discussion going on there.

Also, I have an idea for the setting:

The world is littered with massive broken ruins left behind by some mysterious ancient civilization. They make up much of the landscape. Some contain broken down, impossibly advanced machinery. Many have villages built inside them, using their structure to their advantage. A few contain passageways, leading deep underground to places filled with glittering treasures and unspeakable horrors.

In the night, goblins crawl through windows and snatch up babies. Shadows thicken, and whisper to each other. The cruel fae lure lost travellers into the dark place between worlds. Deranged cults gather and summon eldritch horrors from the endless, maddening void.

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
I think that before the full game is released, we should put out a decent sized adventure that contains rules and pre-gen characters, so people can try out the game. Think "Keep on the Shadowfell" for Magic Sword.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to the 4th edition designers, I would advise them to make the "Essentials" player's handbook the Core Rules for players. Then, I would strip the powers of the Core Rulebooks (and other non-essentials rulebooks) and add them back in as equipment-based powers.

That way, for example, a fighter would be focused on making basic attacks while using his stances, but then could find, say, a magic shield that allows him to do the CRB power "Tide of Iron". So, there's no inherent fighter "Daily Powers" that "his muscles forget how to do"; it's his spear and magic helmet that allows him to do that awesome move once per day.

As I understand it, one of the ways that fighters in the elder editions of D&D were unique is in what equipment they possessed, so this would have added a sort of "retro" feel to 4e, while at the same time introducing what are IN MY OPINION, a better set of rules.

I would also ask them to make rituals less expensive; perhaps 10gp per level (of the ritual).

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
We shall now buckle down and work on the classes. To start, we shall have a brainstorming session. The subject: the Cleric!

How should Domains work?

What should the starting Domains be?

What should the Cleric's advancement be like?

What kind of powers should the Cleric get?

What should we use as a base when building the Cleric?

Remove ads