• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourth Edition Retro Clone

Tallifer

Hero
[MENTION=6686908]As for a retro-clone of 4E that is like OSRIC, rebuilding the edition as far as legally possible under OGL, I've tried to start a project called 4SRD but it currently suffers from the problem that I have zero free time to spare. Help is welcome.

I have started adding stuff, but wow it is a lot of work. And I think it will not be difficult to make it OGL, but it will be a lot of drudgery to do so: so far I simply entered a bunch of rules and racial feats, but I was not very careful yet about OGL considerations.

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
Ugh. Sorry about my absence. Most of my time had been taken up by friends, homework, and a crippling Skyrim addiction, not necessarily in that order.

I will get back to work on Magic Sword shortly.

ChainSawHobbit

First Post
You will be exited to know that I am working on setting up a kickstarter campaign at indiegogo.com (I can't do kickstarter.com since I live in Canada). However, I need a video, and a finite release deadline.

First, I think that the beginning of Summer, 2013 is reasonable. That gives us a year, which is enough time, provided we are efficient.

Second, I don't feel confident in making a video myself. Would anyone else be interested?

Third, how much money do you think we need? It would be used primarily - if not entirely - for paying freelance artists and advertising the game. I was thinking $1,000, but that might be a bit lofty ...

Last edited:

Tymophil

Explorer
I have begun to work on the adventure. You can find what I have so far Here.

Please tell me what you think.
I think you should AVOID taking the "Keep on the Shadowfell" path... I mean : fight, then fight, then fight, then fight... And finally fight the boss...

It would be better to introduce rules one at a time, stressing how to handle some situations with skill tests , stat test, without such, Skill challenges, traps, sickness, etc.

It would be nice to have also iconic situations, with different ways to handle them : puzzles, traps, curses, investigation, exploration, etc.

For example, it would be nice to have some roleplay scenes with and without skill tests, introducing the "helping another PC action" rule.

bone_naga

Explorer
I'm not sure this is a feasible thing. Mainly because it's my impression that a large number of 4e players use D&Di Compendium and the online CB in regular game play, and I'm not sure building something like the latter for your retroclone would be feasible.
While a lot of 4e players use DDI, a lot of us don't. Also, it wouldn't be that hard to recreate. Use heroforge or CBLoader to create a custom dataset for your system. Set up a site similar to the hyperlinkSRD for 3e to serve as the Compendium for your system.
Regarding the first point I quote, I think there are some broadly-agreed upon problems with fourth edition, but I'm not sure fixing those requires more than a short list of houserules. I could be wrong.
I somewhat agree here, but if you're taking the time to make a retroclone, it's still a good time to fix those problems.
As for the second point I quote, I don't know that substantially speeding up combat is possible without dramatically changing the game. Just my two cents.
This might be tricky. Reducing the number of off-turn actions could help as could reducing hit points, but I don't think it will get back to OD&D speed.

Remove ads