[FR] Heroes of the Vilhon Reach II (updated 3/6!)

honorwolf II

First Post
Hey, I like this post. It has some interesting twists and there seems to be some sort of meta plot unfolding before our very eyes. Annals of the Stormwolf. What changed the other characters? What really happened to the ones left for dead in Westgate? Who is the one-eyed warrior? Why is he a drow or drow like? Who is the crazed berserker that can wade through a fireball and a web spell as if it was nothing? What of the woman warrior. This Valeria the Red. I like the surgical precision in which this small band strikes. They had their magical support in the background ready to throw the artillery.

I do worry about what is really going on with the Heroes of the Vilhon reach. So many PK(player kills)s. I feel bad for the Heroes. It is as if the enemies have a spy in their midst, because they seem to be able to match them or foil their plans. Why is that? Poor Benito, he is like the last original left living. That is devastating. Grim, he really must be about survival. That little rogue is really tough to survive all that has been going on and without a great amount of magic. WEll, I really like this post. It is tragic,action-packed, filled with intrigue and mystery,. I love the deviousness of this meta plot unfolding. My hats off to you Broc.
Laters, True Believers.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Heroes...

21 Ches, 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons: The Darkest Hour,Interlude

Ellysidell's tale...earlier that fateful day

We were on our way back from Iriaebor to finally free the soul of Shaunnara, paladin of the Suffering God. It had been hard going and I had been right. The trip to the Valley had been a diversion. The demon that held her had re-located its lair to catacombs beneath Twillight Hollow. Evil loved to gloat. This time we would make her pay!

The first day and a half was uneventful, and then with Twillight Hollow over the next hill, we were attacked once again by our adversary. Meliane, flying ahead in the form of an eagle, screamed as a whirlwind attacked her. Another appeared at our flanks. Benito and Grim went to Meliane's aid and I, seeing that our new companions, and Souliess, were overmatched, spurred my horse forward to help them. The creature was there and was not there. It had no solid form, but when Son of Fury* hit the windwall filled with churning mud and debris, the whirlwind gave, and I heard a more high-pitched sound come from the creature. Was it an elemental scream of pain or anger?

In less than a heartbeat, my world turned upside-down and I was spinning and being buffeted by the wind and debris of the whirlwind creature. I heard the northern barbarian scream as well. I continued to swing and through the din of swirling winds I heard a rip. Then there was silence and I hit the muddy ground. The first whirlwind creature had been vanquished. My horse and Udin's lay in pieces around us. From all fours, I looked up and saw Benito with a satisfied smile, swing his mount around and charge the other air elemental. Grim was no where to be seen and the half-elven magician was making arcane gestures well away from the fight. He was no Nosr, that was for sure. The young half-breed preferred up close and personal. This mage was typical and stood at the back.

I smiled to see Meliane fly from the "belly" of the creature and send down Mielikki's divine fire onto the elemental. Benito followed with one of his own and charged towards it. A green cloud descended upon the swirl and I heard the mage say, "Oops!"

I glared at him, picked myself up and charged to fight at the cleric's side. Benito was sucked up by the elemental and his screams and gags echoed across the meadow. Souleiss stood back and ripples of energy streamed from his beastial visage to hit the whirlwind. Where was Little Buddy? Had he been torn to pieces like my horse? I redoubled my efforts against the creature of air and somehow dodged its attacks. Son of Fury was a tribute to the stout folk and their weaponsmithing. In my hands it performed. The high-pitched wailing--it must have been pain--reached a crescendo as I whirled and struck the air creature with all my might. The Lone Wolf be praised! The whirlwind stopped, Benito crashed to the ground. His horse was dead, but he was alive! He gagged and coughed and gave the mage a dirty look. I reached for his hand and pulled him up. We clasped forearms and grinned, spitting mud and blood from our mouths. Grim appeared from behind some tall grass and Meliane changed back into her beautiful half-elven form.

Little forest-brother, I forgive you....

I do not know if Grim heard, but his eyes were downcast and he would not meet mine nor Benito's gaze.

The fight against the air elementals must have been too much for Udin and the human mage. They whispered away from the rest of us. Udin approached Benito some time later. With a look of disgust and a dimissing wave, the cleric turned his back on the northman and walked towards the rest of us.

"Let's go. I have no time for cowards!"

Tired and weary, we reached the Double Bolt Inn. Tommorrow we would find our way below the town and destroy the demon. Bentio did not tolerate any backtalk and we secured the same rooms we had before. Benito and Grim slept in one room while Souliess and I rested in the other. Meliane preferred to have her own room. I slipped into my reverie quickly, aches from the fight still lingered....
---
*Ellysidell's dwarven waraxe +2 found in Khundrukar

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post

<sniff> gonna miss the big guy, heh... well I liked the post and the way it showed the camraderie between the members of the 'core' group... unfortunatley that core group no longer exists... ohh well, time for some new blood =) and maybe just maybe we can finish up the task set forth and free the paladin without any further loss of life.

AvarielAvenger

First Post
So, how exactly did Ellysidel die? I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone but Benito and Grim get smashed. ;)

Another thing.... I think, if you are going to do another story, you should have a seperate thread for it. I don't think this "Stormwolf" company has yet earned the privelege of being in the same thread as the Heroes Of The Vilhon Reach. ;)

Regardless, your thread, do what you want. I'm looking forward to more.

Malachai_rose

First Post
Woot

I appreciate the support :) trust me us REAL heroes of the reach feel the same way.. heh, but I think there is a tie in with this 'other' group... my thoughts are that its Aris (the drow guy) Alberia (the redhead) Variak (the warrior) and the little guy they rescued I think is our favorite gnomish artificer Baboo, plus I think the arial support is Nosr having been recalled from Alaghon by Aris...

Needless to say if it is them and Benito finds out they were alive yet made no attempt to let the others know what had happened and that they in fact survived (Benitos communes with Tyr reflected they were not dead.. but Benito felt it was a cryptic God answer for they live on in your hearts or some other wishy washy DM.. oops I mean God logic :p) So if these Stormwolves are in fact some of the missing from Westgate... it would be best if they stayed there for the young priest of Tyr will not be very understanding of the motives behind not letting the Heroes know that they still lived, I believe ALberia had to have been raised as Tyr did reflect that she was dead... also the rescue they mention after they rescue the gnome is referring to Dorthan Lhlal, ALberias father who as some might recall is being held captiv by the quivering thumb in Westgate...

So much floating around and I think that its all about to come to some sort of resoloution. Also not every dies... its just out of the original Heroes only Benito is left, Meliane and Souliss are still alive and kicking... after a few raise deads perhaps but alive nonetheless.

Also we meet Big Ell's new character coming up... lets just say the group is feeling rather xenophobic lately and she doesn't get the red carpet roled out for her (biggest understatement of the year, lol) Well hopefully this cleared up a few points, heh.. sometimes Broc's writing ambitions get ahead of him and a few (myself included) get lost along the way :D

honorwolf II

First Post
Hello True believers

To the readers and fans of this story hour I would encourage you to read on and just go back and read from the initial trials, of the Heroes. I would commend the characters. In light of all the dark things that have fallen the group, it has come to my attention that some may need to read more carefully. Malachi has an attention to detail and the subtle that is commendable.
Remember what the characters were like in personality and drive.
Especially the fallen. If Aris and the others are truly alive then trust in that and the Gods of good that for whatever reasons to hide I am sure they were good ones. Remember what he was like, granted Aris was cold, but remeber what he was.
"There are circumstances in war when many cannot attack few, and others when the weak can master the strong. One able to manipulate such circumstances will be victorious." Remember. "He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious." Sun Tzu, "The Art of War" Read on and more will unfold.
And AvariealAvenger thanks for commenting on the post it really is cool that you look forward to the post and this story. I would leave you with this though. " All warfare is based on deception."

Malachai_rose

First Post
lol

yaddda yadda yadda... keep on talkin. Fortune cookie stuff like that is what got the heros in a bad way in the first place, lol. But then again recycling old lines from 'Kung-Fu'' was always somethin Aris was good at :D (Kung-Fu was an old 70's tv show) heh, well hopefully we can meet back up in the near future :p Benito would like to have a few words with ya big pappa Aris, heh.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Yes! Heroes!

malachai & hwolf....enough of your jibba-jabba!

the post takes its inspiration and is in honor of Sepulchrave!

21-22 Ches, 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons: The Darkest Hour, part II

The Painmistress was livid and broke another mirror scaring the acolytes outside her door who listened to yet another tantrum. They bowed their heads and muttered prayers to the god of Suffering to ease her sorrow.

Shaunnra's death must still be effecting her, thought Gwyneth as she hurried away from her mistress's door to attend to other duties in the temple.

==========
Andress Nagheson strode from her room, composed but seething inside.

"I am not to be disturbed!" she yelled to the nearest guard.

Dupes! Little fools and half-wits...If you only knew.... she smirked and imagined blissful suffering, but not hers. No, these ungrateful townsfolk would be under her lash soon enough. First, though she had to take care of these meddling adventurers. How could they have survived yet another attack?

The High Priestess of Ilmater closed and locked her door, retiring to her inner sanctum. After an appropriate pause, she muttered a prayer and stepped through the wall. She ran down the staircase into the catacombs beneath the town.
==========

Farrouk al-Sudin ibn-Yussef, Slayer of Ten-Thousand, the Whirlwind of Flame, Wearer of the Black Ash surveyed his underlings from the balcony that overlooked his courtyard. They were good, but needed work. He looked out upon the City of Brass, took a deep breath and smelled the smoke and soot. He looked "north"--for direction was relative here in the Land of Eternal Fire--and eyed the Charcol Palace with ambition. He rubbed his goatee.

Soon, cousin. Soon there will be a reckoning....

That was when he felt the tug.

NO! It cannot be. I will not go!

He tried to resist, but the vision of favors left ungiven tore through his skull. He was compelled. Aaaaargh! He hated Toril, but that was where in his youth he had made deals that he had hoped were long forgotten. Gods...or in this case goddesses did not forget.

An almost inaudible pop sounded, and where the Slayer had once stood, only a rising column of smoke remained. The efreeti in the courtyard practicing with whirling blades of fire and metal did not even pause to notice...
=============

"No! I will not make deals with devils!" shouted the Painmistress

The xill crackled and hissed in its infernal language arguing his case yet again to summon and ally with denizens of the Nine Hells.

"You know they would make require payment that we would not be willing to give."

She ignored him and in front of the Altar of Agony cried out to the Lady of the Lash to send her an worthy ally to destroy these Heroes from the South.

Bhell, her priest lieutenant shuddered while Quell (what the Painmistress had named the xill) responded with clicks and wheezes as if in glee. Whatever, his Ultimate Mistress sent would judge this paltry human unworthy, it believed. Then he and his hive could write their own contract.
============

It was always dark in the Barrens of Doom and Despair. A castle bristling with spikes and surrounded by the wails of thousands of torture victims dominated the blasted plain. Their screams echoed all across Mungoth, and to the Maiden of Pain the sound was the most exquisite aria....

Her contemplations upon her Throne of Torture were interupted by a tug from Toril. Another ally!. She half-raised her eyelids and appraised the host of devils that ran torture exhibtions in the Grand Hall---especially the kytons and barbed ones, they were her favorite. However, her patience had been tested enough, and while the deceit and irony that her servant on Faerun worked brought her pleasure, the use of elemental resources was becoming expensive. The Grand Torturer calculated and examined her host,then heard the request--the gall and the cowardice to not ask for her best servants, the exiles of Baator. She had already lined up a cornugon or two, now this mortal wanted someting else.

Loviatar searched her archive of contracts and cruel acts...and implemented it. Even better, Bhaal was dead. There would be no return favor. She reached into the elemental plane of fire and commanded. She grinned as the efreet resisted. Time to answer for the whims of youth, assassin! He was compelled.

Then she went back to her music....
============

Benito awoke with a start and instictively grabbed Mano de la Justicia.

"Salazar, did you feel that? Something...I can't place it."

Yes, 'Nito. I sense someone has opened something best left closed. There is a presence here that reeks of evil and should not be in this world.

"Grim, are you there?"

Stop making so much noise! replied the ghostwise halfling in his head.

Benito sat for a few minutes holding his longsword, but then the feeling of apprehension left. He dozed off once again....
===========

Somwhere underneath Twilight Hollow, heated negotiations were ongoing. The Painmistress was frustrated as she yelled at the efreet. He wanted a contract drawn up for the assassinations and in return for his services, for her to be part of his harem! She screamed. They re-negotiated. She settled for less.

"I ask you," she gritted her teeth, "to slay two of the five."

It had at one time been all of them! But even after supplication and begging by her and refusal by the outsider, her inital task had dwindled. She should have asked for devils!

"And yes, you may choose those which will offer the least resistance."

In return, the efreeti assassin asked to be an advisor for the House of Torment. He agreed.

Quell whistled...that could help him a great deal. Bhell was busy making preparations for an inevitable assault by these meddlers if the planar ally failed. Hopefully, he would not and soon, with the firelord's help, they would bring more pain to these weak primes.

============

Pain! Ellysidell felt like he was on fire and was yanked from his reverie.

Souliess dreamed that he was baking in an oven and woke with a start. Their room was on fire, the door was no where to be seen, and the heat was intense. Dense smoke began to form. However, there was no crackling sound and he could not even here his scream. He shouted at Ellysidell, but the elf looked at him strange. No Sound had come out! Quickly, he manifested a mindlink with Ell. Then before he could converse with his companion he sent out feelers to detect any other minds in the room.

That was when the whirling, white-hot blades appeared and tore through the wolverine. Boiling blood hissed as it hit the walls of fire and steamed as they hit the ground. It was his blood and no one heard his yells of pain. He looked up and saw only a ripple in the heat as the blades quickly disappeared. He felt the alien and cruel mind. Death was here and it projected his demise willingly!

Ellysidell saw scimitars lash out at his roommate and struck where he thought they had originated. His blade cut only through air. Souliess reached out to the mind of the enemy and tried to wipe his mind. He could not tell the ripples of power from the shimmers of heat. He hurt badly. Somewhere in their minds a ripping and tearing of cloth echoed. Souliess felt the stong will of the assassin shrug off the attack and reward him with two more cuts of the blazing scimitars. Souliess toppled to the ground. A heap of steaming guts burst forth from his sundered belly.

Then the attacker switched to Ellysidell. The elf yelled and raged and redoubled his effort. He thought about fleeing with the body of his fallen comrade, but only fleetingly. The flaming falchion and the semi-visible blades met each other and sparks flew. Ellysidell felt that he even hit one or two times, but the trade off was four, maybe five slashes that criss-crossed his body. Then two more slices formed a bloody, smoky "X" across his chest and abdomen. Stunned and left exposed, he saw the swirl of red robes and red skin and horns and sharp teeth briefly before he fell. The enemy sliced deeply into his abdomen spilling way too much blood onto the floor. Ellysidell stared in disbelief, sank to his knees, then collapsed face first into the pool of his steaming blood.

Farrouk thought to himself as his wounds began to close, All too easy., and began wiping his blades on the fur of the dead, hairy psion to prevent them from tarnishing...

Last edited:

AvarielAvenger

First Post
Heh. Well, she really should've gone for the harem deal. This guy seems like he could've killed the rest of the party. ;) Here's a free tip, guys: When you are ambushed while you are resting, and the ambusher does not die from your first round of attacks... Get the hell out of dodge.

I'm surprised Ellysidel didn't run. Silly Elf.

Remove ads