[FR] Heroes of the Vilhon Reach II (updated 3/6!)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
cooked and skewered!

AvarielAvenger said:
Get the hell out of dodge.

I'm surprised Ellysidel didn't run. Silly Elf.

Sigh... some groups have trouble running. What is a campaign-world-continuity, story-minded DM supposed to do?

I've always believed that there is a bigger bully than you around the corner and one can't hack and slash their way through a campaign. Eventually, you'll bite off more than you can chew.

However, the good news for the Heroes is that this philosophy runs both ways--that is for heroes and villians. Stay tuned for more revelations!

Malachai_rose

First Post
harem deal

well at first it seems that the assasin could have taken the rest of the party (he might of :)) but then people underestimate the power of a cleric with nifty little combos.. like everyones favorite :p the harm/hit special, heh or for when that doesn't work we have the Banishment special, course that might only serve to make the assasin angrier but <shrugs> what ya gonna do just sit there and die, lol. If only everyone in the party was a 12th lvl cleric of Tyr then everything would be peachy keen :D

Broccli_Head

Explorer
More Heroes!

21 Ches, 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons: The Darkest Hour, part III

Benito was awakened by a pounding, slamming sound. Grim was already making for the warded door. As Benito rolled from under the bed, the halfling had muttered the password and tumbled out the door. In the hallway they saw ice and snow spilling from Meliane's room and a red glow appear from under the door where Ellysidell and Souleiss rested. Grim crept quickly and stealthily forward toward's Meliane's room, while Benito examined the middle door. No sound emanated from the elf and beast's room and he banged hard for them to get up and get out.

A large, feral cat crouched on hind legs in the corner and changed back into the familiar form of Meliane of the Emerald Enclave.

"Fool assassin!" she exclaimed pointing to the frozen-to-death form of a black-clad humanoid standing over her bed.

But Benito was more concerned about the middle door. He called Grim forward to examine it. Meliane stood ready. Grim swung the door inward and saw the wall of flame. There was no heat and it was eerily silent. The companions saw humanoid shadows flickering beyond the fire. Two dispels sprung from the divine mights of the druid and cleric. Suddenly the crackle of fire and the ring of metal could be heard and then the cry of distress and agony. A larger shadow stood above the others. Benito did not hesistate and lept into the fire, grunting as the flames burned him. Grim hung back, hearing the cleric's pain in his head. He knew that there would be no evading a wall of fire that he was to purposely run through.

For you, big, forest-brother!

Curiously, there was no reply and the shock of pain paled in comparison to what the halfling felt as he exited the wall of flame. Ellysidell lay crumpled on the ground, a bloody, steaming heap of flesh. Benito now stood back as he saw the fire-demon stand and smile over the dead bodies of his friends.

I have completed my task, so I give you a choice. You may leave and I will spare you, spoke the demon in Benito's head.

Benito stalled as he weighed his options and asked questions, not gaining new information from Farrouk, Slayer of Ten Thousand (and two). The efreet pondered as well as he watched the halfling attempt to flank him and saw that the would-be-heroes were suffering in this heat and not dropping. He reversed the wall of fire.

I could use servants such as yourselves. You do not seem as weak as these two. I have a plan...

For Benito, this condescension was the last straw. He charged the efreet and struck home. The efreet struck back doing more damage as his sharp, hot blades found critical points on the cleric's body. His contingent healing spells went off! Grim sliced with his Twin Fangs, but could not find a vital area. This assassin was too experienced to fall for his feints and weaves. Then Benito in desperation reached not for the divine might of Tyr but for something darker. The cleric of justice touched Farrouk al-Sudin with a glowing dark-green hand. The firelord stumbled back as multiple wounds opened from his body and gushed dark-red blood, but before Benito could finish him with Mano--all the while Salazar crying out to Benito to stop--a gem hanging from a black metal chain glowed with its own dweomer. The efreet laughed.

Not bad, youngling, but now I am through toying. Say hello to your god for me!

Benito recovered quickly, however and instead of striking or defending, concentrated and sent forth another spell.

No, you go back and say hello to yours!

The efreet was surrounded by a nimbus of white light, and before he could curse the Holy Justice, vanished!
======

Benito walked numbly through the firewall. Ellysidell was gone!

Grim sank to his knees and cradled his big brother's head in his arms. There was still a spark of life, and then it winked out as the bloody body convulsed and more fluids burst from the wounds. Grim and Meliane waited until the fire went out and carried the bodies of their fallen companions to the tap room upstairs. Benito had started drinking whatever spirits he could find, but took a small break to drive the Flaming Falchion into the planks of the floor. It hummed for a second or two and stopped. Benito went back to drinking. Grim found a shadowy corner and cried. Meliane turned into a large bear and stood guard over the corpses....
===========

Benito felt alone... everywhere they turned evil stood unchallenged. Every step they took was beset by those that would do them harm. For the young Holy Justice it seemed as if he stood alone against the darkness. They had seen dragons, evil druidesses, demonic clerics, evil orginizations that seemingly ran entire cities with impunity, adventuring groups composed of foul and evil creatures... and yet he had never seen anyone like themselves. Where were the like-minded people to uphold the cause of the righteous? Indeed, he felt there were none.

We stand alone... and it isn't enough anymore. Perhaps good is not victorious. It merely hides in a few strongholds protecting itself as the rest of the world around it burns with the fires of the wicked. Now I understand why Denton didn't want me to leave Alaghon...

Denton knew what lay beyond the city. He knew that outside of their little bastion of hope that there was pain and suffering.

Yet I, in my pride did not listen. I left with my friends believing that Tyr had a purpose for us and that the good would burn brighter than the darkness around them. I was wrong. It has been less than a month outside of Alaghon and the Darkness has all but snuffed out the light of my friends. What can I do now? What hope is there? The evil of Faerun has won. I am defeated. All that is left for is vengeance, and maybe that will be denied to me...

He is a man... no a boy without hope. His only wish was to die well so that he would see his friends again in the afterlife. He sat alone at the bar, no longer dreaming of the good and the just, instead he saw visions of blood and death...

He wept bitterly, alone once more as he was those many months ago.

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post

gotta say Broc, this was a very cool post. I like the fact that you remembered the conversation we had about how Nito was feeling and how he felt the heroes were alone in their struggle against the darkness. As posts go this represents the darkest hour of the heroes.. but fear not a little light is about to enter the campaign, temporary it may be, but any light is welcomed in the darkest of times.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
short post

22 Ches (early morning), 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons: A Spark of Light

Benito wept and fought against the raging storms that built within himslef crying out for blood and vengeance. He reached for the bottle again but stopped as the Flaming Falchion of Ellysidell winked on and off...

Grim was tired of moping and looking at the dead bodies of Ellysidell and Souleis. He crept downstairs and decided to examine the remains of the human icicle that Meliane had created. As he examined the corpse, finding a few choice items and some coin, the hair stood on the back of his neck, and he flattened against the frosted sheets as a bolt whizzed past his head and clattered against the wall. The halfling heard a muttered curse and the sound of a dropped crossbow, followed by someone running.

"Assassin!" yelled Grim, hurting his vocal chords.

He sprung from the bed and gave chase around the corridor. His magically enhanced boots brought him alongside his foe and as she tried to run, he sliced into her leg.

Upstairs, Benito was shaken from his not-so-sober musings by the voice of his last friend.

"Over my dead body...., " he muttered as he activated his cape and flew down the stairs.

Meliane stood guard over the fallen heroes and their possessions.

===
Benito saw Grim in hot pursuit of another figure. They turned the corner and the priest of Tyr followed. They bounded up a set of stairs and into the chill of the early morning and out a cellar door. Benito flew past Grim who in the open was being outdistanced by the attacker. The cleric caught the assassin , and lifted her into the air.

About 80 feet above Twillight Hollow, Benito whispered into her ear, "Tell me why I shouldn't drop you!"

Sestra, tonight's assassin, happened to be afraid of heights. She squirmed but could not escape Benito's magically enchanced grip.

"I know how to find Harular!"

Thus did Benito, using the powers of truth granted a Holy Justice of Tyr, discover the wherabouts of an entrance to the catacombs beneath Twillight Hollow at a farmhouse not to far from the village. He thought about dropping her anyway, but refrained.

She was bound and gagged and marched with Grim behind and Benito leading to the Temple of Ilmater and turned over to guards to question further in the morning. Out of respect for the high priestess, Benito prevented the guards from waking her and marched without a word back to the inn. The common room had begun to smell of raw meat, but Benito continued unphased. In silence he and Grim gathered all the possessions that the party owned, including the bodies and holed themselves up in the warded room. Meliane changed back into a large cat and curled up under the bed...there was no room for propriety after the night's attack.

Benito sat cross-legged on his bead with Mano de la Justicia across his lap. He did not sleep and imagined visions of Twilight Hollow on fire. He wrestled with the potential of harming innocents.

But were they really innocent? a voice inside him asked.

Benito was shocked that he contemplated killing villagers.

What is happening to me?! He cried out in his head.

The sobbing began once again....

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Storms and Fire

14 Ches [early evening], Year of Rogue Dragons, somewhere off the road between Westgate and Reddanspyr: Rebuilding, part I

Jhovan the Grey, assassin in the "employ" of the Fire Knives, cat-napped as he waited for his pursuers. He had found a defensible position on a rock-covered hill in the woods and hid there patiently recovering from the chase earlier. A noise startled him and he quickly awoke, alert and ready for trouble. They were coming up the hill, with the half-drow in the lead. Two other men accompanied him. One looked like one of his own men. The other was the crazy warrior. He activated his boots and readied two daggers, concentrating on the leader....
==========

Kith scanned for thoughts ahead of the party as they came to the end of the woods and peered up the hill. Stormwolf wanted to be out in the open and draw their quarry out. Khiros followed close behind. The doppleganger detected sentience too late. He heard the twirling blades and tried to call out, but it was too late. He saw his leader and friend get sliced by one dagger as another clattered to the rocks around him. Blood poured from the wound.

"A-, Jenner!" he cried and moved in front to protect his Lord from any other attacks.
==========

The half-breed didn't drop. In frustration for missing the jugular, Jhovan kicked loose the rocks that hid him as the crazy one fired and missed with two arrows. Two of his hunters dodged the minor rockslide and kept moving up towards him. The other stood back and fired arrows. One hit him in the right shoulder and his third dagger fell to the ground. The assassin sprang forward and sliced into the leader, tactically moving back to his original redoubt before the drow-thing could counter. Then they, including the insane-looking bowman, closed. His former Fire Knife "companion" tried to flank him. Jhovan rolled between them hacking madly with his scimitar as he passed by, again drawing a wound on the half-drow. They were persistent, however, and soon surrounded him, once again.
=========

Jenner Stormwolf was impressed as he held Blue Destiny in front of him considering his options. He held his fist up, commanding Khiros to hold. This assassin had nearly killed him and had continued to attempt to finish the job even though injured. He also did not fit the "profile". Unlike the majority of the Fire Knives, who hailed from Cormyr and were of Dale-stock, this man had dark skin like a Chultan. There really wasn't a need to kill him so Jenner took a chance.

"Who are you? Where are you from?"

The assassin hesitated.

"He's confused and wondering why you just don't kill him," added Kith

Jhovan looked back and forth between the half-drow--who was oddly a shade of dark blue, and a breeze seemed to blow through his hair--and the other rogue, who looked just like one of his men, but had a different voice and certainly couldn't read his mind.

The Fire Knife answered,"I am Jhovan the Grey...of Tashalar."

Jenner smiled as he reviewed his geography. Tashalar was a city far to the south, across the Shining Sea from Calimshan on the edge of the Black Jungles.

"what brings you to fair Westgate? Why do you work for the Fire Knives? They are from Cormyr."

The assassin did not answer.

Jenner continued, "How much are they paying you? I will double that. In fact here is an advance."

Stormwolf tossed a back of coin and some gems.

"That's the oldest trick in the book, Night Mask."

The assassin remained silent.

Kith replied for him. "My Lord, His mother and son are being held as slaves by House Cormaeril."

Jhovan gave the mind-reader a sinister look. Kith returned the baleful gaze with a smile and a wink. Jenner took the advantage.

"If you become my man, I promise that I will free your family."

The quiet lasted a while, during which Jhovan looked back and forth between the blue drow and the mind-reader (who gave him a smug, "I know what you're thinking" look). Khiros breathed deeply and slowly two paces behind Stormwolf, his own eyes darting back and forth between their quarry's scimitar and legs. If he moved towards his friends, the Mithral Knight would strike him down!

"Why should I believe you, drow?" Jhovan spat.

Jenner Stormwolf sheathed his weapon and turned his back to the assassin, slowly undoing his chain shirt. Kith's eyebrows raised supernaturally, causing the changeling to create a caricature of the man he mimicked. Khiros gripped his great-sword tighter. Jenner removed his cloak revealing the scars of countless whippings.

"Because I detest slavers and slavery and want, just as you do to see you and your family free."

Kith muttered, "I've never seen this before!"

For some strange reason, the assassin believed him, and lowered his weapon and his eyes. Kith thought he saw a tear.

"Alright then," said Jenner Stormwolf putting his clothing back on, "Back to camp!"

The trio fell in behind him. Khiros jogged to catch up with his nimble leader. Jhovan paused to pick up his advance, and Kith brought up the rear, making sure that their new recruit didn't suddenly change his mind....

Last edited:

honorwolf II

First Post
Why, did Ari..oops, Why did Stormwolf spare the assassin's life?

What was the rationale? Where did this uncommon compassion come from? As fate would have it, the so- called half-drow is an observant man. One, this advesary was no ordinary sell-sword or assassin of the fire knives. He did not fit a certain profile and Jenner Stormwolf was generally impressed by his determination to escape and then to really try to kill him. His spring attack combo and the fact ,that dagger did 18 points of damage was really impressive. Why kill such natural talent?

It is obvious that he was surrounded and whether Stormwolf fell or not the Assassin was not going to live. When you offer a forced man, or slave a way out to freedom, they will take it.

" The best way to turn an enemy into an ally is to give that enemy hope, make his battles your battles, his enemies your enemies,turn his most personal sorrows into joys; all beings need hope."
--an Excerpt from the Codex Mercenarius by Aris Cloud Dancer, 1382 DR Silverymoon press

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
honorwolf II said:
Why, did Ari..oops, Why did Stormwolf spare the assassin's life?

What was the rationale? Where did this uncommon compassion come from?
[/I] [/B]

Because the player of Jenner Stormwolf likes to be unpredictable so that the DM, that's me, pulls more florets from his hair!

Do like the quote from the Codex, however. Scary thing, this player has actually written some of this infamous book out.

He's crazy, I tell you, crazy! :D

For the future...will finish the next part or two of Rebuilding with the Stormwolves and then back to Benito's Heroes of the Vilhon Reach with Redemption.

Sometimes I wish I had Lazybones' knack for writing...sigh...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
More Stormwolves...

14-16 Ches, 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons, Reddanspyr and Westgate: Rebuilding, part II

Somewhere in the northern part of the High Forest, his eyes opened wide and suddenly. His contemplations and extraplanar musings had been abruptly disturbed. Someone had inquired about the artifact; the one he had used not too long ago to sunder the mythal of Hellgate Keep. Dangerous... thought the Mistmaster, levitating in one of his spherical meditation rooms. He called upon the collected airs to shuttle him out and into the antechamber.

From his mind he spoke a name, which to a human would have sounded like someone blowing air from their mouth. However, it was understood by the creatures of mist and air that were his allies and one answered. Shortly, and unseen by anyone without magical aid, a creature made of wind flew with incredible speed south towards the Dragon Coast.
=============

Valeria was upset. The last thing the Stormwolf "legion" needed was a mother and she refused to be one. However, sometimes these men did not think straight. Fortunately, Jenner--it was hard getting used to calling and thinking of him like that--listened to her suggestion to stay at the Temple of Oghma here in Reddenspyr instead of the Giant's Folly. She had already argued with Nosr that evening about not going out and especially going there, not with Fire Knives, Night Masks, Dragon Cultists, Zhentarim and other evil groups running amok in that festhall. Kith had backed her up. She wondered if dopplegangers had a gender. She had already had a run-in with their latest recruit. Another assassin! It made her sick! She doubled over in the empty hallway, resting against the wall for support, nauseated by the evil. But she had to trust Stormwolf and his plan and his ideal. Jhovan did have a son that apparently he cared for. She would give him until that rescue to pass judgement upon him. Hopefully, soon they could retire to their Castle...she hadn't named it yet...somewhere north of Arabel, but first...unfinished business in Westgate.

She continued to the library's waiting room where she saw Nosr sitting in front of a pile of tomes and books with Jenner and Khiros looking over his shoulder. A priest of Oghma the Binder oversaw the inquiry.

"So that's the Gatekeeper's Crystal?" mused the dark-skinned warrior.

He pointed to a picture and a description in a book entitled Volo's Catalogue of Artifacts and Powerful Things of Magic. Valeria looked over also. The picture showed a three-pronged crystal consisting of three triangles stuck together at their bases. Some sort of onyx-like coloring coursed through the artifact like black veins. It was both alluring and haunting. This was what their parents had been seeking? She saw Khiros look at that page in the book quickly flipping a few more pages, recording them with his heightened mental capacity.

"Boss, it's all I could find. Can I go, now?"

Jenner smiled, "No, you need to copy the picture for Our records."

Nosr fretted and Valeria added instinctively, "And anyway you're
grounded."

Aaaaccck! She was starting to sound like her step-mother!
=========

Two days later, the core group of the Stormwolf Legion made their Westgate debut. Jenner Stormwolf and Valeria the Red, dressed for a noble gathering, entered the Arena of the Quivering Thumb with Khiros, the Mithral Knight in full gear--peace-bonded as per arena rules, Nosr attired in the latest fashions, and Kith and Jhovan disguised as servants (but also dressed to impress). They remained aloof for the most part, having dropped the money for a private box, but Jenner sent his "servants" to interact with the gawkers and high-brows that attended the bloody games while Khiros watched and recorded everything. Valeria tried to keep her composure. The Scourge would not fight for two days, and the bloodbath went against her conscience. Apparently, she did well as whispers of "Who's that woman?," made their way among the young nobility who attended the games. They waded through wild animals fighting slaves, orc and goblin slaves fighting each other, and group combat. Nothing impressed Jenner. He waited patiently for the single-combat events. That was where he could find recruits!

The tatooed over-seers of the Games made the annoucement: Manta del Rey, Champion of the Sea of Fallen Stars will fight the Megaraptor--the viscious monster from the Jungles of Chult

"That seems unfair," commented Khiros going through his vast store of information and calculations, as they paraded the monster around the arena, and led it back to its holding pen.

"Nosr, Kith " called Jenner,"find out what's going on."

Happy for some action, Nosr jumped to it and ran through the seats to find the scuttlebut. Kith followed hurriedly behind. Meanwhile, Manta del Rey had entered the arena. Jenner leaned forward in his chair and saw the greenish tinge to his skin and the seaweed-like rippling hair.

Genasi!

He wielded a great sword with a heavily weighted end and waved goodheartedly to the crowd. People were cheering and waving fish and tentacled mollusks in the air. The water genasi worked the crowd and a chant of Manta! rumbled through the stadium.

"They sure like their gladiators here, don't they?" mused Valeria looking bored but hurting inside as she cupped her face in her hands, elbows on knees. A few untamed wisps of beautiful red hair fell to her face.

Jenner was lost in thought. Nosr was running back. He looked excited.

"Boss! This guy's owner is in a lot of debt. He has bet against him and set up this 'contest' to take his slave out," Nosr rushed his report.

"Then we'll just have to bet for him!" Jenner replied.

He handed Nosr and Kith a note promising a large sum of money. Kith raised an eyebrow. Nosr's jaw dropped.

"Boss, are you crazy?"

Khiros looked down at the sum and Valeria leaned over arm resting on Jenner's shoulder to look as well. Khiros whistled. Valeria smirked.

"Sometimes one must take risks. Just like when we drew from the cards?"

"Tymora has been with us so far," Khiros reminded them.

Jenner looked to Khiros, their eyes met, there was a nod from the psychic warrior, and the Stormwolves increased the sum of the note, Jenner handed it to Nosr. The sorcerer shrugged his shoulders and went to see the bookies. Once again, Kith followed. Not long afterward, as Nosr and Kith returned to the box seat, the combat began and the Stormwolves watched intently....

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
16-17 Ches, 1373 Year of Rogue Dragons, Westgate: Rebuilding, part III

This Manta was good. Jenner Stormwolf leaned forward in his seat to watch the water genasi in the arena tumble and hack at the monster that towered over him with his heavy greatsword. He seemed very adept at using his sword as both a balancing rod and a weapon. Deep gashes appeared in the flanks of the Megaraptor and Manta would jump in to engage the creature sometimes skillfully and sometimes luckily avoiding its devastating bite. The gladiator seemed to gain inspiration from the crowd, and as he ran circles around the Chultan, jungle beast, he pumped his fist at the spectators to fire them up. The creature bled its life away, while Manta was barely scathed. The indebted owner had definitely underestimated his slave. Then with a flourish, Manta del Rey twirled his greatsword above his head, yelling and taunting his foe. As the 'raptor stooped to try and crunch him between its jaws, the genasi brought the greatsword down and split the huge head like a melon. Brains and blood spilled on the sand, and with an ululating war cry, Manta pulled his brutal cleaver from the beast's skull and held it aloft. The crowd went wild!

The Stormwolf Legion went to go collect their winnings.
=======

My Lord, those two are just greedy, but we best finish this business quickly, something behind the screen resists my attempts to read its surface thoughts...

Jenner nodded reflexively as Kith gave his evaluation of their money exchange. They had won a substantial amount of money and Stormwolf wanted more for his legionairres.

This is weird...err sorry...they are evil as well. I can't read behind the screen, added Valeria.

Khiros had mind-linked the group so that they could present smiles to the public, but keep quiet about their true intentions. The mind-warrior was testing the system for battle. Dealing with the two gnomes that sat in front of them counting their money was great practice. They were engaged in a battle of wits. Jenner let Valeria and Nosr do the talking, while he consulted with them in the hidden recesses of their minds. The end result was very sastisfactory. They had bought the mark and cleared the debt of Lorenz Thornwiggle, an apparently portly halfling with a bad gambling habit, but an owner of five gladiators, including Manta. Stormwolf had just purchased himself some slaves. Through these unscrupulous gnomes, he also had managed to get himself Thornwiggle's city townhome. Unfortunately, other properties had already been sold to cover his debt. Tommorrow, the Agents of the Quivering Thumb would deliver the slaves and the halfling in chains to the house. There Jenner Stormwolf and his troops would be handed the deeds to both types of property by the Agents. Khiros memorized the exchanges and shortly, the group left, returning to the Temple of Tymora.

After a brief meeting, Jenner sent Nosr, along with Jhovan and Kith into the city on a private mission. Khiros and Valeria were left out of the loop, but they had been put to the task with the help of priests and others allied with the Temple to look for ways to spend their earnings and better equip the core legionaires.

Four days, thought Jenner as he practiced with his scimitar in the courtyard going over the precepts taught to him by the warmasters in Cormyr and his father's house long ago,In four days we will begin our revenge....
=========

The tatooed man strode cat-like across the arena towards the slave-pens. From behind the steel, and probably magicked bars, Manta watched him with hatred. He had hated the monks of the Quivering Thumb his entire life...or at least as long as he could remember, but as the man came closer, the gladiator's shoulders slumped. What could he do? Being a slave in the arena was apparently his lot in life. His only joy were his pupils. Thornwiggle had put him in charge of five men to train as he had been trained. The Quivering Thumb had squeezed the fat halfling dry. Manta spat in disgust thinking about his present master. The monks had played his master well. He shut the hate off. Hopefully, all his feelings of anger and bitterness would stay with him. He always made a conscious effort to protect his students from the harshness of their existence. They smiled more than he did, and that was good.

The Agent stood in front of the bars his hands locked behind his back. He gave Manta a contemptuous look, "You have a new master."

The monk waited, but Manta did not give him the satisfaction of a reaction or an answer. The genasi remained silent.

"I hear he is a half-drow. Good luck. The drow feast on humanoid flesh you know."

So do some of you, thought Manta. He gave the agent a dismissing grunt and turned away.

He felt the tendrils of arcane energy engulf him as he was frozen in place. His back to the monk. He hated those cold shadows.

"Fortunately for you, Manta del Rey, we have a reputation to protect, and we deliver our products intact. Think of your protegees...," the Agent paused. "In any case, it will be my pleasure to parade you through the streets of Westgate in chains."

The Agent laughed with his creepy,hollow laugh. Manta heard him leave and his rapidly beating heart began to slow down. He attempted to will himself free of the magical hold in vain and as the magic wore out, the gladiator collapsed to the ground. He rolled over, sat up, and looked out into the empty arena. The Agent was long gone.

If you harm my students, there will be no place you could hide from my wrath, he vowed.
==========

The Stormwolf Legion rode on gallant steeds (provided by the Temple and other benefactors) to the new townhome. Randall Crownwood, having been informed of the change of ownership, assembled the household staff--two cooks, one groundskeeper, two maids. He was nervous and while being an adventurer in his younger days, did not like the idea of rabble inheriting his home. However, almost anything would be an improvement from Thornwiggle. He thanked Lady Siamophore that he had been spared from being gambled away like two other staffmembers had. The Stormwolves after dismounting, entered with a flourish. Some of the staff gulped. The dark-skinned man with bluish-black hair was announced by a page in Cormyrean (Randall was sure!) finery. This Jenner Stormwolf was flanked by a knight in a shining mithral breastplate and a tall female warrior in reddish-tinged mithral full-plate. A Chultan or Tahshaltan in grey along with a young foppish half-elf completed the entourage.

"I present the new master of the house, Jenner Stormwolf," announced the page.

Crownwood introduced himself and the staff and approached the new Lord of the House.

"Hail and well met," said Jenner bluntly and attempting a smile, offered his hand.

The butler furrowed his eyebrows. He hadn't heard that greeting in years!

"Hail," he said as he shook the hand that had been offered.

Business-like, Randall Crownwood described the house and volunteered more information about the staff. The knight in mithral listened, his eyes scanned rapidly back and forth. To Jarvis it was disconcerting. The page and the red knight also studied everyone with some concentration, while the grey-cloaked man scanned the room.

Who are they hiding from? thought Randall.
===========

As the Agent had promised, he led the chain-gang. Two armored and heavily armed athachs accompanied the procession as it wound its way through the streets of Westgate. Because he could, the agent led a whimpering halfling by a chain that ran to an iron collar. Free advertising was always a good thing. Servants carried the gladiators' equipment. Manta was grateful that nothing had happened to his guys and thought ahead, marking alleys and other hiding places for when they made a break for freedom. At the house, one of the armored monsters tapped on the door. A tall, thin middle-aged man answered and looked shocked. Before he could recover, the Agent stepped forward and asked for a Jenner Stormwolf. Then an adolescent page gently pushed the butler aside and waved them into the house. The athachs flanked the door as the six gladiators, led by Manta del Ray, entered. The chains rattled on the floor noticeably, and the sound echoed in the foyer. Manta noticed the air genasi right away.

Hah! Not a drow after all!

The Agent handed over deeds and ownership papers to Jenner Stormwolf who in turn handed them to the mithral knight. The warrior opened them and read them very quickly, passing them to the half-elf. The red knight and the page inspected the gladiators. Manta saw some of his students blush as the tall woman stared at them for a few seconds. He stared back when his turn came, but the warrior woman only smirked. Soon it was only the Stormwolves, the house staff, the chained gladiators, and a grovelling halfling.

"Mercy, master..Please show a poor halfling with a bad habit mercy," Thornwiggle kept repeating.

Manta's new owner did not even look down as he said, "Khiros, Nosr, take this halfing to the Abbey of the Blinding Truth. I am sure that High Abbot Grigor can provide what the wretch needs."

Khiros nodded and with the half-elf, escorted the halfling from the foyer. He then looked at the gladiators and motioned to the page. The young lad began to unshackle all of them.

"You are free," the air genasi said simply.

The last shackle clattered to the ground and Manta was still not sure he had heard his new owner correctly.

"You can stay and be part of something that will someday be a legend, or you can go."

His students looked to him, also confused. If this was a trick, he would seperate this Jenner Stormwolf's head from his shoulders. But looking at the followers that this man had already assembled, he felt he had only one choice.

Manta sighed, "What choice do we have? We have no where else to go."

Jenner smiled. The Legion was growing.

Later....in what Jenner had called the war-room....

"My Lord, the gladiators can be trusted. So can Randall Crownwood. The maids are frightened and are thinking of quitting. The groundskeeper is being blackmailed and one of the cooks is an agent for the Night Masks. I would fire both cooks and the groundskeeper. I can do both jobs. Nosr can help me in the kitchen."

"And the rest, Kith?"

The doppleganger, still in the form of the page smiled.

"I don't read the minds of my friends. However, Jhovan is still skeptical but will not do anything rash. Valeria is getting impatient. Nosr wants to blow things up. Sir, I would like to learn from Khiros some of the art. I think I have some natural talent in that area, and it would benefit the legion."

Before Jenner could answer, Nosr, followed by the rest of the heroes burst into the room. They were all smiling, even the ex-Fire Knife.

"Boss, we're in!"

"Excellent," replied Jenner Stormwolf thrumming his fingers together.

Three days..., he thought leaning his chair back, Just three more days...

Last edited:

Remove ads