[FR] Heroes of the Vilhon Reach II (updated 3/6!)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
more...

22 Ches, 1373, Year of Rogue Dragons, Twillight Hollow: Redemption, part IV

They stared at each other for a while.

"Friend or Foe!" yelled Benito

"Friend if you put down your weapon, human. Foe if you continue to threaten. "

A bear growled in surprise somwhere beyond the hillock in the meadow that separated the farm from the town. A wolverine came bounding over it. Faun kept glancing furtively back, and with weapons drawn, dismounted.

"Lower your weapon and state your name!" continued the cleric of Tyr.

Seeing that the human would not budge Faun responded, "I am Faun Arvandryl," but she did not lower her blade.

Souliess stood to one side and rubbed his temples preparing to mind blast the elf if she took any hostile action.

"What are you doing here?"

Faun sighed...,"I am tracking the bandit Harular. He is wanted by authorities in Berdusk. I have traced him to this vale."

That gave Benito pause.

"We seek him also and seek to redress wrongs comitted to the good citizens of this village. Grim you can come out now."

Grim stood from behind some tall grass, a mere five feet from the elven warrior. He winked at her and bowed. Benito lowered his weapon.

Faun was shaken, "You have a fine way of welcoming an ally."

Benito shrugged, also kind of put aback by how close his little buddy had positioned himself. "Understand, warrior, that we have just skirmished with nearly a dozen orcs and their masters, and you come galloping down here with weapons and warcries. I do not apologize for my caution. While we would readily welcome another sword, you can join us or not. Either suits me fine."

Meliane, in human form, crested the hill. "Are you crazy!? Who left this little boy lying unconscious in the meadow?"

Grim pointed at Benito, who blushed.

"I nearly trampled the poor dear. Benito Moltos you must be more careful," she growled reminiscent of the bear that she just had been.

"Maybe we should get him to his parents, " suggested Faun.

"Actually, I think it would be better to take him to the temple, and since you volunteered and apparently have a fast horse, why don't you go ahead while we clean up."

It was more of an order than a question, and Faun bristled, but seeing the poor human child softened her heart. However uncultured and unmannered this human warrior-priest was, why let the child suffer.

"Very well, I shall return soon so that we may discuss our quarry."

Faun took the boy from Meliane (who marched over to give Benito a piece of her mind), climbed back in her saddle and whispered into her mounts ear. The horse snorted as if in understanding and set off at a rapid pace toward the Temple of Ilmater....
===

People were flocking to the Temple of Ilmater when Faun entered the town. She had to slow her horse so as not to run over any of the humans.

"What is going on here?" She asked a passer-by as she approached the gaping maw of the temple-gate.

"We have been blessed by Ilmater. He has sent a herald to ease our suffering," an old man, tears streaming down his eyes replied, arms raised to the heavens in praise.

Faun raised an eyebrow and without dismounting continued to walk her horse into the temple. She saw the press of bodies in the archer's gallery and the courtyard beyond and men in armor not at their posts trying to get a glimpse of something beyond the double doors. Several priests were trying to calm down the citizens, many of whom were weeping and beseeching their god.

Then she heard the booming voice in her head that nearly caused her to fall from her horse, Bring me Benito Moltos. I have brought him what he has asked by the will of Ilmater and Tyr....

The voice repeated and Faun looked for the nearest priest.

Squinting to concentrate she spoke to the acolyte, "This boy was saved from orcs who were raiding a nearby farm."

"Yes, yes...,"said the acolyte dreamily, "I know the boy."

He was apparently not startled by the news of orcs, but she handed the boy over and finally got off her horse. She pushed her way through the crowd and looked inside what she presumed to be the temple shrine. Her jaw dropped for inside she saw the most beautiful creature she had ever seen. It's blue-green, well muslced body shined with holy light and the gleam complimented the mighty sword it held aloft. The wings were magnificent. At its feet lay the crumpled form of what Faun thought was a human woman wearing a cracked red, spikey mask.

Faun focused, I know this Benito Moltos. He is--

The planetar's eyes bored into hers Take me to him.

She obeyed without question, awed by the otherworldly beauty and holiness of the celestial.

Follow me, then! Faun vaulted onto her horse and heeyahhed excited to help the planetar. And the people parted before her.

Suldolphin took wing and followed, causing a collective gasp from the villagers. They would never be the same. Who was this St. Benito who had called the magnificent servant of Ilmater to save them? Some rushed out to watch the celestial's flight.
===

Faun galloped under while the General of Ilmater flied directly over her. It cast its warm, reassuring shadow on her and her mount as they headed towards the farm. They reached quickly and her heart skipped a beat to see humility in the human priest. He quickly bowed and fell to one knee. The druidess did the same. The halfling sneak was nowhere to be seen and the wolverine covered his eyes sneaking a peak at the outsider between his paws.

Benito Moltos, we have captured for you the Painmistress that has plagued this village with her deception and cruelty.

Suldolphin removed the mask.

Betrayal!

Souliess fell over backward. Benito felt sick and Meliane almost vomited. They had never figured out that the Painmistress that had plagued them for nearly all of Ches had been disguised as the High Priestess of Ilmater they had befriended. Grim charged from the bushes.

"You killed Ellyisidell!"

However, the planetar held out his greatsword. Grim regained his composure and wisely stopped his charge. He fell to his knees instead, sword and dagger tumbling from his hands, breathing heavily with tears streaming from his eyes.

Andress Nagehsson was in still to much of a daze from the mighty, yet merciful wallop that Suldolphin had given her. She gave no indication of any reaction other than to drool and bleed from the gash on her forehead.

What would you have me do with her? asked the Planetar.

Benito stammered, "What do you suggest?"

They had trusted her and Benito, felt that at times he could see the beauty under the mourning clothes the priestess had donned in their presence. He almost had felt that he had found a kindred spirit. He retched, but held his breakfast in. He shook his head.

"Whatever Ilmater wishes, my Lord."

Suldolphin's eyes glazed over for a few seconds.

We will take her to the House of Triad where she will be reformed by reliving the suffering that she has caused to these innocents.

The planetar paused to let this decision sink in.

Benito Moltos, Tyr and Ilmater thank you. Remember the quest that you MUST fulfill as duty to your father, fallen though he may be, and your god. Refrain from using the power of negative or necromantic energy and succumbing to vengeance. It will corrupt you....and...," Suldolphin smiled, "Next time, do not send a General to do a Lieutenant's work. Go and free the paladin!"

Benito nodded and so did everyone else. Suldolphin soared into the sky--sword held high, Andress in his other hand--and disappeared in a flash of light.

Benito rose and went to sit on the porch of the farmhouse while the others lost themselves in their own thoughts. After an hour or so of silent comtemplation, Benito rose and headed for the barn and the way down.

"Let's go!" he called motioning to the others, " We have a soul to free!"

Last edited:

Grimm

First Post
and then there was two ... G - n - B

Hmmm where to start,

Grim has finally achieved his goal. After a long career of being sneakier than a four year old halfling going for the cookie jar, he has become as one that dances in the shadows... now where does he go, what does he do ? All that tied him in with the Heroes is gone, massacared by an evil Djinni assasin ... with no family to speak of only a tenuous tie with Benito remains. To put it lightly Grim and B have had thier differences ... a swamp hag comes to mind but ... What is our valiant halfling to do ???

Grim
10th rogue/1 barbarian/1 ranger/1 shadow dancer
Hero of the Vilhon Reach

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Re: and then there was two ... G - n - B

Grimm said:
All that tied him in with the Heroes is gone, massacared by an evil Djinni assasin ...

Grim
10th rogue/1 barbarian/1 ranger/1 shadow dancer
Hero of the Vilhon Reach

Hey Hero! That assassin was an Efreet, by the way. And he was very evil.

I have to confess to the readers how reluctant I was and afraid of high-level adventures. Now, after the recent events in the campaign, I am psyched!

Good thing I have lots of inspiration from stories here on the boards...namely the Heretic of Wyre and Knights of the Silver Quill who have high-powered, no holds barred campaigns.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Enter Ivan!

Ches, Year of Rogue Dragons, Ivan Rides Forth

Ivan--some called him the terrible--reviewed his men. They had been getting restless waiting in anticipation for one of their own to return home. When he had received the message from the Tyrite courier back in Hammer, he had been overjoyed. Cloud-dancer, one of his best pupils, was coming to Cormyr. And his adopted home needed more heroes...

Cormyr was in a shambles. The war with the Devil Dragon and her orcs, goblins, and demons still showed scars. Then there was the altercation with the Shades. He shuddered when he thought about Tilverton. All those people...wiped out in an instant. The 32nd had been there and taken some loses. He growled and instinctively looked to the North...towards the Stonelands and beyond. Ivan thought back to 10 years ago when he was a fierce warrior in Rasheman. That was when he had first joined with Azoun and his legion against the Thayans and the Tuigan Horde. It was there that he had been inspired by the courage and leadership of Azoun IV. He bowed and paused.

It was a blur...he was getting on in years after all...and there was all that firewine.

Sometime shortly after the Horde Wars he had followed the Cormyrean King with a makeshift band of mercenaries that had been dubbed the 32nd Cormyrean Expeditionary Force. He didn't even remember why. Young Cloud-dancer had been along with them then and the group was still a rag-tag band of Tuigan ex-patriates, Rashemani, other refugees of the Utter East. There were even some escaped Thayan slaves. Then there was Sergei, his right-hand man. His real name wasn't Rashemani, but the man had no tongue and Ivan approximated his name in his head and when they signed to each other. It mattered not. Ivan, the grizzled lionar and drill instructor, was always correct. Sergei was from a place called Wa-- far away from Faerun and Suzail, the capitol of belaguered Cormyr. It was here where they now waited.

The horses of the 32nd snorted and steam issued from their nostrils in the crisp Cormyrean morning. Ivan mounted. He had decided to leave and travel to Westgate and then Alaghon by land to find Aris and bring him back home. He was tired of waiting. During the Dragon War he had been sent to the Wyvernwater after the fall of Arabel to wait and garrison the border with several noble houses just in case the Sembians had decided to act foolishly. He grunted...Ivan would have rather fought and fallen with King Azoun, south of Arabel against the great red Devil Wyrm. They had missed that encounter and then been sent to clean up the orc and goblin infestations in the Thunder Peaks. Now he had returned to Suzail and the nobility irked him--too much politics and squabbling over the last penny. He could see the pain and frustration in the Steel Regent when she sparred with anyone in the palace training grounds.

She had to stay. The mercenaries did not. Ivan felt that they needed action. So Ivan made a command decision. The Purple Dragon of Cormyr could still muster some force to project power outside its borders. The 32nd would have an Expedition!

Ivan gave the order and the men rode forth from the palace, through the streets of Suzail and out from the gates with only the hooves of their steeds making sound....

===

A tenday later the light company was in Iriaebor. There they discovered one of Aris's merchants.

Just like a Tethyran--or did he learn that from the Sembians, Ivan thought, always scheming for gold.

...Even from beyond the grave...Ivan was disheartened to hear of Aris's demise in Westgate. Kirin, Cloud-dancer's cousin, got him up to speed. Thus, Ivan and the 32nd Cormyrean Expeditionary Force travelled towards Twilight Hollow to track down Aris's last known associates.

===

Two days later, they arrived and were drawn right away to the a fire at a farmhouse. The bodies littered everywhere made it easy to track the whereabouts of the group of adventurers. Ivan led half of his men into the catacombs and discovered more signs-- torched and very dead orcs,a dead priest, over-turned furnishings...sure traces of adventurers.

He heard shouts somewhere in the unlit passages. They were very near now, but could he trust them? Drawing his weapons and stationing men along the darkened halls he drew his weapons and moved forward into the gloom....

Last edited:

fair_game

First Post
Wow, I like where this campain is going. I really like the way you make Ivan. It looks like he is going to play a major roll in this campain.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
fair_game said:
Wow, I like where this campain is going. I really like the way you make Ivan. It looks like he is going to play a major roll in this campain.

Thanks fair_game for stopping by. It was really cool to develop Ivan's backstory. Sometimes it is hard to drop a character into an already established campaign. It's a good thing that I have creative players! Sergei is also a player character and has a great story as well.

As a side note: Now we know why Aris knows sign language. He also taught it to Ellyisidell...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
as requested...

22 Ches, 1373, Year of Rogue Dragons, Beneath Twillight Hollow: Conclusion, part I

The thoqqua had carved a tunnel to an underground waterway, but that did not get Benito what he wanted. They stood in front of a door with the nastiest lock Grim had ever encountered. The door knob was surrounded by a fiendish mouth with an open maw and sharp, bloody teeth. Faun was still arguing with Souliess for the debacle of the last encounter. It had been nearly fatal for the elven warrior as the wolverine, thinking that she was in danger from a fire elemental, had grappled her. This only served to provide a non-moving target for the elemental which resulted in Faun's being nearly burned to death. Benito wanted to shush them as their voices echoed through the tunnels. Fortunately, his ranged healing had kept their new companion alive.

Aris would've beaten the wolverine down for such a brainless tactic, thought Benito.

Maybe he would do so later. Now, he just wanted to find Shaunnra and exit this catacomb, and at present, the cleric of Tyr was too focused on the fire worms and what they were digging. Grim sat in front of the door and pulled out his tools. He needed a few minutes to study.

Then Benito heard movement from the long tunnel that had brought them to this point. He motioned for Faun and Souliess. Grim began to work on the door, oblivious to any distraction. Meliane watched his back.

===

There were armed men...possibly the adventurers that he, Ivan the lionar, sought up
ahead. He could hear their clanking armor and shifting weapons. He approached with confidence when he saw the glint of metal peaking from around the corner.

Amateurs, he thought. "Hail and well met!"

"Friend or foe!" cried Benito By Tyr, this feels like deja vu'!

"Friend, if ye be the former companions of Aris Cloud-dancer. Enemies, and shortly worm fodder, if not."

This man knew Aris!

Benito looked at Souliess who was rubbing his temples with his paws, preparing some psionic blast. He held out his hand for the psychic wolverine to hold.

"How did you find us?"

Ivan chuckled, "Ye leave a trail of dead boddies, lad! Twas not hard to track. Me men and I followed yer trail from Iriaebor. That kinsman of Aris gave us a clue."

Men! "You brought more men?" querried the cleric of Tyr...That's less glory for me...don't know if I like that...and can they be trusted?

"Well, yes. The 32nd Cormyrean Expeditionary Force travels together."

Cormyreans? What was Aris into?

"I ask ye again. Be ye Aris's former companions. I was to meet him in Suzail. He never showed."

"We lost him in Westgate, sir." Did I just call him, sir?

"Well then we must go and find him."

"Right now, we are kind of busy. We are going to finish our present quest."

"Will it lead to a fight?" asked the Rashemani.

"Undoubtedly."

"Always looking for a good fight, am I. Let us go."

Ivan moved forward before Benito could protest. Who invited you? he thought.

The group heard a metallic clang shortly followed by another. Grim clapped...success. There was not a door that existed that he could not open.

The heroes with the addition of Ivan gathered at the door. They opened the portal and looked inside. It was quiet...to quiet as if their foes were waiting. Grim crept forward in and out of the shadows and was soon lost in the darkness....

I hate it when he does that thought Benito Moltos as he, along with the rest of them, waited and hoped for the halfling to return.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
22 Ches, 1373, Year of Rogue Dragons, Beneath Twillight Hollow: Conclusion, part II

The heroes waited at the set of double doors a little nervous, even though Grim and Benito had assured them that all the traps had been disarmed. The floor on which they stood creaked almost beyond their range of hearing and they hoped that the spikes the halfling had used to secure the trap doors to the pit on which they stood would hold. As they readied for an assault on the underground temple to Lovitar, Grim worked the lock at the door. The click of lock as Grim conqured yet another door seemed way too loud.

Before that gave the enemy and advantage, Grim swung the doors open and tumbled left as Benito and Faun laid down fireball and flamestrike blowing up a host of crisping a host of undead servitors near a raised altar on which stood a black cauldron and the devourer. The elf shuddered as she saw the squirming body in the beast's ribcage, and both spellcasters grimaced as their magics seemed to have not affect on the fiendish creature. A wave of confusion swept over the heroes and Ivan saw Meliane turn into a ghazneth. He let out his savage Rashemani warcry and charged the druidess. Grim saw Ivan turn into a devil and attempted to flank the weapon's master, aiding Meliane.

Almost simultaneously, Benito flew over the exploded carnage coming out of the fire like a hero of vengeance to stand toe-to-toe with the evil undead while Faun skirted the walls of the temple to lay down another fireball blasting more abominations to pieces. Souliess wanted to avoid the bloody melee that was ensuing in front of him between his companions, and could not recall Meliane insulting the lionar. He moved forward and let loose a mind blast which had no effect on the devourer and fortunately, no effect on Benito...oops!

However, the priest of Tyr was too preoccupied to care. Positive energy coursed through his veins and caused his gauntleted fist to glow with holy light. He healed the undead creature, penetrating its magic resistence and causing it to almost shrivel to its destruction.

From behind him, on the balcony over-looking the rest of the Temple of Pain, he heard a nasal shout, "I didn't like the devourer anyway!"

And fire blazed down from above on both the undead fiend and the cleric of Tyr. Benito screamed...but when the afterglow of the flamestrike cleared, Benito yet lived, and the devourer was a burned-out husk. He turned around and flew at the priest of Lovitar that fought from the balcony. Souliess still trying to get away from the madness of the fighting behind him decided to fly into the temple to get a better view. Two rasts appeared in midair to fight against him. Claws and teeth from the firey, blood-sucking, outsiders and the psionic wolverine clashed sending blood and scales and fur everywhere.

If anyone had been looking, they would have seen the spirit of Shaunnra floating upward and away from the smoking body of the devourer relief on her countenance...but they were too busy laying the smack down on bad guys!

Meanwhile, Meliane had been almost chopped to pieces by the crazed Ivan. She had to back away to heal herself. Grim attacked Ivan with a fury, but did not come close to felling the traitorous devil. From the hallway from where they had come, a priestess wielding a glowing kama, and an almost insubstantial cat with feral eyes and looking like it had just come from the Nine Hells, came charging at the three heroes who fought in a miasma of confusion at the doorway. Ivan turned his mad attentions the hellcat while Meliane closed with the screaming priestess. Grim just started wandering away...

Fortune favoured the heroes this day and they quickly overcame their adversaries. Meliane dispelled Ivan's madness. Benito dispatched the Lovitaran in melee combat and then went to help the whimpering wolverine against the rasts. They fell quickly. Faun finished up the undead with arrows and magic and Grim eventually wandered back to the main temple still looking confused. It wore off finally and then he and Ivan went snooping for treasure.

Benito and Meliane put their heads together and tried to figure out what to do about the evil cauldron. They settled for hallowing the altar and then casting a protection from evil until they could commune with their gods to find out how to destroy the unholy relic. Then Benito wanted to continue even though Ivan and his fellow treasure-seeker Grim, had found a good cache of items in several rooms on the level of the balcony where Benito had fought the last evil cleric.
===

The rest of the day went quickly and with some excitement. The heroes followed the catacombs to find a deserted bandit lair which they discovered lay underneath the inn in which they had been staying. Much to their chagrin, they found the innkeeper and the stable boy slain. Ivan went to retrieve his men and the party then went in search of what they presumed was the cowardly, half-dragon Harular and his band. Grim tracked and in a few hours, they found the fleeing bandits.

Before they even knew they were being followed, Grim stealthily slew three even as they marched, leaving their bodies for the carrion birds. Then the 32nd attacked, cutting the bandits off from escaping and peppering those that tried to flee with arrows from horseback. The only challenge was the gang's dire wolverine which raked Ivan badly as he sacrificed his body for his warhorse, Buttercup. The big wolverine was then dominated by its smaller, psionic cousin. However, among the bandits there was no Harular. Apparently, the main cadre of bandits had separated and escaped by magical means. Faun was angry, but Benito was confident that he could find them and bring them to justice. After a brief trial and some executions, the fighting force returned to Twilight Hollow, buried and consecrated the bodies of the innkeeper and the other innocent who had perished unneccessarily, and set up headquarters at the now ownerless Double Bolt Inn.

Benito was adamant about returning it to the town as communal property, but was too tired to argue his case to Ivan and his silent friend. The signing that went rapidly forth between them reminded him of his lost companions, Aris and Ellysidell. All of a sudden Benito felt very tired. It had been a long day. Tommorrow could be even more draining. He needed to raise Shaunnra, find out from Tyr how do destroy the cauldron, finish exploring the catacombs beneath Twilight Hollow to make sure they were clear for the safety of the villagers, and communicate what he had found to Alaghon and Westgate. He was sure more things would come up.

Outside he heard Ivan yelling orders to his men to secure the inn and stable their horses, and drifted off to sleep....

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
23 Ches, Year of Rogue Dragons: The Day After, part I

Benito communed with Tyr and shortly after his time with his god, he and Meliane marched down into the catacombs to the fallen temple of Lovitar. He consecrated the cauldron. It cracked and then exploded in a flash of sickly red light. Then Benito and the druid sealed the temple with stone shape.

Next, he and Meliane explored briefly underneath the Temple of Ilmater, which also had passages leading into the tunnels beneath the village. There they found and rescued an aasimar cleric of the god of suffering named Tarian who had been duped by the Painmistress and subjected to torture for nearly three months. He was grateful for the rescue and made the decision to remain at the temple and reverse the harm that Andres Nagheson had done until word could be recieved from the nearst temple of Ilmater (the one in Westgate) as to how to proceed. Benito also swore the man to secrecy as to the betrayal of the high priestess, saying that it was Ilmater’s will to protect the villagers’ hearts.

Ivan, his men, and Grim began hauling out the treasure from the other rooms of the temple. Their most impressive haul and the hardest item to move was a full-length mirror…perfect for scrying. It took them most of the day. However, they paused at noon and met the rest of the Heroes on the surface.

At noon, the whole town came out for the procession of Shaunnra around the Temple of Ilmater. Despite the “high priestess’s” absence the ritual went on and the bier with the deceased paladin began to make its circuit. The heroes had already communicated to the town that Andress had perished in the fighting in the tunnels below, and that the bandits who had plagued Twilight Hollow had escaped. Benito stopped the procession and asked the acolytes to lay down the body. Then he raised her. Her horse let out a mighty whinny from its stables a the Double Bolt and broke free of the stables joining the return of its master. The crowd was overjoyed. Some wept. St. Benito had performed another miracle.

He then went into cloister at the Double Bolt Inn and proceeded to make sendings. He sent a message to High Abbot Grigor in Westgate informing him of progress. Grigor responded by returning Your friends are alive!. He sent a similar missive to the Lord High Abbot Denton Crimsguard including asking about the Gatekeeper’s Crystal. Crimsguard returned a rather rude response saying that Benito needed to “Stop wasting time. The crystal is destroyed!”

Fortunately, Benito kept his wits about him, although had anyone seen him, they would have viewed the cleric of Tyr red-faced and trying to calm down. He sent a message to Gippetto. The response was more encouraging…Seek the Crystal. It is Tyr’s will.

The cleric sighed. He had one more spell to leave a message. Should he send to the Temple of Ilmater in Westgate to make sure the people of Twilight Hollow were taken care of or…

He impulsively tried to call Nosr and inform him of Ellysidell’s death and where they were at. He got a response back…Kinda busy right now, but it’s all….

What was that all about? Now he needed to wait until tomorrow to inform the Ilmateran in Westgate. Then he thought about asking the Emerald Enclave in Alaghon what to do about Meliane….

There was a knock on the door. It was late afternoon. Benito still a little paranoid drew his weapon and answered.

"The mirror is set up as you requested," one of Ivan’s men informed him.

At least that may bring some good news…. thought Benito as he followed the warrior up the stairs.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Hi all…you will probably notice that Benito, a cleric, is using a mirror to scry in the next post. The scry spell in the PHB says that clerics use fonts of water. Why? I decided that in this case the mirror would work. And sorcerer/wizards can use a font if they want to also.

23 Ches to 26 Ches, Year of Rogue Dragons: The Days After, part II

Benito used the mirror that Ivan’s men hauled from the temple of Lovitar to scry for Mourn. The rest of the companions gathered around in anticipation. The cleric of Tyr was noticeably nervous since he had not tried to contact Mourn since his abduction almost six months prior. He needed the support.

It was surprisingly easy although it took one hour of prayer. He saw Mourn in a cave. In his hands he clutched a blackened metal longsword of elven design with silver cracks running up and down the blade. By his side was a fully armored elven woman. More elves were present at the edges of the magic sight provided by the mirror. Mourn seemed to be some sort of leader. Benito was relieved. He did not seem to be a prisoner. As he zoomed in on his former companion, however, he took a step back in shock. Mourn’s face had become a twisted visage. He—an elf!—had age lines. And he looked crazed. This caricature of Mourn looked up and his gaze seemed to bore into the cleric.

“We have unwanted visitors, my love. Deal with them!”

The elven woman wailed, and the heroes gathered in the common room covered their ears. The sound was hideous and intense. When Benito’s head cleared he felt moisture on the top of his lip. Feeling there he realized that his nose was bleeding.

“Is everyone alright?”

Meliane, Faun, Sergei, Souleis, Grim and Ivan all checked in. Benito cast a divination to examine evil in the room. The sword, the elven woman who screamed and Mourn all showed the taint. The sword glowed with such malevolence that Benito was overwhelmed and slightly dazed. A lesser cleric would have been stunned. Quickly recovering , Benito heard Mourn speak again.

“They are still there, finish them….”

Wisely, Benito ended the scry. So much for good news…

Benito paced back and forth in the common room…We’re still going to rescue him, whether he wants to come or not. Benito cast find the path , and his mind referenced a mental map of the western heartlands of Faerun. He now knew the location of Mourn’s lair. He spent the rest of the day in prayer, asking Tyr for inspiration and guidance. No spells…just a heartfelt talk.

More sendings on the 24th of Ches….

He sent a message to inform the temple of Ilmater in Westgate of a need for more powerful clerics to take care of the temple in Twilight Hollow. They replied that Inquisitors would be forthcoming. He sent word to the Emerald Enclave in Alaghon for Melianne to ask for new directives seeing that druids were more of an ally to the late and missing Aris Cloud-dancer than to he and Grim. They thanked Benito for the message and Meliane then received instruction to return to Westgate to learn the fate of Aris. Meliane was saddened to go, but her first duty was to the Enclave.

Then he sent a message to Khirin al’Dhib that they were coming to Iriaebor and hoped he had concluded the business with the mechanical constructs found beneath the destroyed temple of Talos. Khirin asked when. Benito smiled.

He, Faun, Grim, and Soulies windwalked there and arrived in about two hours (well and the 60 ticks to get in and out of ‘wind form’). Ivan, Sergei and the rest of their men packed up and rode towards the City of a Thousand Spires. They would arrive in two days. Meliane watched the 32nd leave and then with her new friend, the dire wolverine companion, set off towards Westgate.

In Iriaebor…

Khirin was very please with himself. He had sold the mechas to Lord Bronn and the city of Irieabor as he had originally intended and sold out agents for the Zhentarim, Knights of the Shield, and Men of the Basilisk who had been bidding for the items. He had hired adventurers to watch his back and guard the constructs and they had proven a valuable asset as he had negotiated with the evil and greedy petitioners. When he received the message from Benito that they would be arriving soon, he replied, “Mechas sold. When will you arrive?”

He was surprised to hear that the cleric had arrived in such a short time. Yet he went out to great them with open arms and report the good news of the sale. Receiving their share of the sale of the machines from Khiran, the party members each set about purchasing much needed magical supplies and items.

The next day was a holy day for Benito so he performed the rituals to Tyr and then set to work Late on the 26th of Ches, Ivan and the rest of the 32nd Cormyrean Expeditionary Force arrived. The Purple Dragon standard flew gloriously as the horsemen trotted through the gate to the city. Ivan convincedBenito to scry on Aris. It turned out to be a waste of time. It was if Benito were trying to search for someone he had never seen before. Faun asked when Benito could look for the Harular so they could go after him and bring him to justice. That got her a scowl. Benito was focused and set in his mind to finish the items he was creating and formulate a plan to rescue Mourn. To celebrate their good fortune and blessing by Waukeen, Khirin threw a party. It helped take the edge of f some of the heroes. They had just completed a quest. Long and grueling though it had been, Shaunnra was alive again. Evil had been defeated. While the party lifted the tension, the tone was somber as they toasted to fallen comrades.

At the end of the night Benito informed the heroes that he had formulated the plan to rescue Mourn. He had contacted an archmage, Prespur the Translocator, through Lord Bronn and after a private strategy session with the wizard, decided that they would teleport in, grab Mourn, and teleport out. Khirin objected citing extreme risk for the reward. Calmly Benito told him that he had eight days to find out what he could to dissuade Benito from his present course. Otherwise on 4 Tarsakh, the plan would be carried out.

Last edited:

Remove ads