[FR] Heroes of the Vilhon Reach II (updated 3/6!)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
22 Ches to 2 Tarsakh: Exodus of the Stormwolves

As they force-marched from Westgate to Reddanspyr, Aris’ thoughts were heavy. To add insult to injury it began to rain almost as soon as they had left the Black Hole of Faerun. However, Chauntea smiled upon them again as the cattle, used to defeat the mind flayers of the Quivering Thumb, lolled around after the combat like bovine are apt to do so that the beleaguered troop could travel to the nearby town in disguise as cattle herders and merchants. Aris would have to donate at one of her temples in the near future.

“Thank you Miliekki, Chauntea, Tymora, for your help and mercy,” the usually non-pious Aris muttered over and over as his boots squelched in the muddy road.

Per Aris’s order, Jhovan kept a keen eye on their gladiator-fellow Manta. No one in the party trusted Manta anymore whom they suspected was still enthralled by the illithid’s powers. After a day and a half of travel, they made Reddanspyr. There the weary companions sought refuge at the temple of Oghma. Aris, always thinking ahead, had made previous arrangements with the clerics of Oghma, on their previous outing. He was glad that the god of knowledge also imparted to his clergy an understanding that some knowledge, is meant to be kept hidden. They had proved very discreet.

Upon arrival the party sold the cattle and donated the proceeds to the temple. Further donations were given from Aris’s personal funds for the clerics to attend to the wounds of Jhovan, Alberia (now shedding her role of Valeria the Red—though still preferring the red hair!), Nosr and even Manta. They were reunited with Randall, Sandrine and Babu, Gnome Artificer Extraordinaire (G.A.E.), Manta’s four students, and the rest of the Aris’s retainers who had left the day the rescue became compromised. Again Aris had planned ahead.

As they rested in the courtyard, contemplating the pyrrhic victory over roasted calamari, Jhovan came to talk to Aris about Manta. Alberia also wanted to talk about Manta and the betrayal at the arena. By now Aris had figured out what happened and surmised that two things were going to happen now. Either he must tell Manta to leave and possibly have him killed or reconcile and make sure his allegiances were firmly with them. Alberia was for expulsion. Jhovan of course in his pragmatism offered to have the possibility of Manta further betraying them ended forever. The clerics dispelled what ensorcelled him and Nosr repeated the dispel just in case.

Even so, Manta and his companions exchanged harsh words before Jhovan, taking matters into his own hands, knocked the ex-gladiator unconscious. To reassure themselves that Manta was back to his old self (but what his old self was, how could they know, knowing him for less than a tenday). As far as the paladin of Tyr was concerned, Manta had been a mole from the beginning. They locked him up in one of the isolation rooms in which the priests and monks used to meditate and read. This infuriated Manta and reminded him of his captivity in the arena games. Tantrums lasted through the night with the water genasi destroying books and throwing them at an irresponsive door behind which Jhovan stood guard. By dawn he had finally he calmed himself and began contemplating his surroundings. Picking up a book with lots of pictures, he began at first to browse and then to read….

Aris took stock of the losses. They had suffered two casualties: the powerful mageling, Séance and Manta’s newly freed half-orc Zert. Both were raised (Manta paying for Zert). Furthermore, Kith was still missing and they had not rescued Dorthan. Aris had to prevent Alberia from sinking once again into depression and stayed up with her as the days progressed talking of his plans for her castle and inspiring her with tales of her father in the Tuigan War. Séance left the group saying that his work in Westgate remained unfinished. Aris too longed to go back and get Kith and have another crack at rescuing Dorthan, but that would be tantamount to suicide.

“What about Manta?” Jhovan , kindly reminded the group fingering a dagger.

Aris replied, “I gave you a second chance.”

“But Jhovan hasn’t betrayed us!” retorted Alberia, coming surprisingly to the defense of the ex-assassin.

“Doesn’t Tyr also represent justice delivered with temperance and resolve. For some reason the Tyrites I know bow more to the chaos of their emotions. Abbot Grigor has lasted as long as he has in Westgate because he wisely chooses his battles and cares and look to the safety of his people. He does not preach justice with the sharp end of his sword or throw the lives of his friends and subjects away. Your actions in Westgate, Alberia cry out emotion and led to recklessness. If you had not been so hotheaded, and selfish, and returned to the Arena, and instead had stayed at rendezvous point as planned, two of our number would not have died.”

Mollified by this, the others remained silent. Manta was then freed completely without any further arguement and after much counseling from the high priest and Aris, Manta decided to stay with the group. As a parting gift, the priest of Oghma gave Manta a magical longsword. The gladiator decided that reading had its rewards.

Now reconciled to each other the party made their way to Cormyr. Jhovan was happy to be reunited with his family and caught up along the journey. The heroes, with the whole group of retainers caught a boat from Teziir to Suzail and they all arrived safely and without incident. In all the trip took a tenday.

Last edited:

honorwolf II

First Post
Beautiful writing broc. Once again I am pleased with the post. Because man, I was drained playing Aris. Talk about the burden of command and the trials of responsibility. Aris almost wanted to call it quits there. But eating calamari cheered him up. (ha,ha...) Anyway, it was good post and hopefully more are forthcoming. And thank you for pointing out the planning that Aris went into taking care of his fellows. Sometime this aspect of leadership and roleplaying go unsung. Man, I really thank you just for mentioning the planning and the levelheadedness in which you portrayed Aris. I often can feel that he gets the shaft from the other players, because Aris focuses on the big picture. I am the cold, king of shadows. (can anyone figure that one out?)
Well, keep posting. I miss these. I will be posting Aris on the boards.

reighne

First Post
I beg to differ oh brother o mine. Aris doesn't get the shaft ecause Aris focuses on the big picture. Aris gets the shaft sometimes because he gives off this hoity toity aura and the "I-am-always-right" mentality. =) hehe. However, I do like his character and you are true to your character. =) *hug* I just like giving him a hard-time because its well... fun. =) Hehe. Giving Aris a hard-time is like... therapy because I can ruffle or "attempt" to ruffle your feathers which serves as a great amusement for a mischevious imp like myself. :D

Not that I am a mini/minor demon or anything. =) I am merely giving an explanation for MY motives in egging you on besides the fact that you're reactions are always funny. Its akin to the female question that makes all men squirm, "Does this dress make me look fat". :p

Anyway, much love to you -

Rei

honorwolf II said:
Beautiful writing broc. Once again I am pleased with the post. Because man, I was drained playing Aris. Talk about the burden of command and the trials of responsibility. Aris almost wanted to call it quits there. But eating calamari cheered him up. (ha,ha...) Anyway, it was good post and hopefully more are forthcoming. And thank you for pointing out the planning that Aris went into taking care of his fellows. Sometime this aspect of leadership and roleplaying go unsung. Man, I really thank you just for mentioning the planning and the levelheadedness in which you portrayed Aris. I often can feel that he gets the shaft from the other players, because Aris focuses on the big picture. I am the cold, king of shadows. (can anyone figure that one out?)
Well, keep posting. I miss these. I will be posting Aris on the boards.

reighne

First Post
Btw Broc, I erm was an advocate for killing Manta since he had nearly gotten me eaten by an illithid! Although I think that is understandable considering the deep distress and stress I was under.
:D

Love you broccers.
Rei

PS: hey aris, broc, you guys are gonna attend the singles retreat right? Either of you wearing a tux for the formal? It would be fun to watch my big bros get dressed up. *hint hint hint*

*pokes you a few times with a cattle prod*

Broccli_Head said:
Just two more sessions to get to the BIG PAUSE in the campaign.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
7-8 Tarsakh, Year of Rogue Dragons The Beginning of the End, part I

Ellysidell, Chosen of Fenmaril Mestarine, could not sleep. Actually, to be more accurate, Ellysidell did not need to go into reverie. He was always awake and always alert.

The benefits of meeting your god, I guess... he thought to himself as he wandered the High Tower, the seat of power in Iriaebor, while the rest on his companions rested.

That was not wholly accurate either. The strong-willed clerics, Benito of Tyr and Khirin of Waukeen stood watch in shifts in the dungeon where the Starym Moonblade lay captured. So too did the Inquisitors of Tyr from Zassespur keep vigil over the broken and twisted Mourn, former companion of the Heroes of the Vilhon Reach, in the tower room of the castle. They had arrived earlier that day shortly before Benito had returned with a strange, lead sword-case that they kept very close to themselves. Souliess had a natural aversion to the item.

Grim and Sergei slept near by and half of the Comyrean Expeditionary Force watched the stairs in shifts. The other half rested at the stairs to the dungeons with their leader, Ivan the Terrible. Two watched the door leading down.

Still Ellysidell felt alone as he made his way to the Grand Dining Hall. Suddenly, a shadow and then another, moved across the hall towards the exit.

"Who goes there?" challenged the wild elf.

A wild elven woman, her face scarred as if by fire, stepped from the shadows.

"Your people. We have come to claim our own and what rightfully belongs to us. Join us so that we may seek revenge upon the humans."

Ellysidell bristled, gripping his dwarven waraxe, Son of Fury even as the she-elf twirlled a great axe. The two warriors began to circle, taking a measure of one another.

"Whatever has twisted your view of humans, I know not, but I will not let you take that foul blade or do harm to my companions or the soldiers under the lord of this castle. Elderth Veluthra is not for me."

"Too late for that, brother, and more human corpses will litter these halls this night. I give you another chance. Join us or die."

She whistled and four more elves, two wood elves and two high elves joined her watching Ellysidell, while several others scampered from the dining hall towards the exit that Ell realized led to the dungeons.

Ellysidell sighed, "I am reluctant to kill you, but if you refuse to submit--"

But before he could finish, the wild elf attacked him. Ellysidell dodged and swung his axe into the haft of hers. In two quick blows, the Chosen hewed her great axe in pieces. Magic from her weapon leaked out as motes of glowing dust. The wild elf female growled and with more strength than Ellysidell was ready for, tore his axe from his hands, and sliced him across the torso. Ellysidell drew his back-up, Golden Fire and smacked his adversary across the head.

She did not let up and continued to attack Ellysidell with ferocity. He responded in kind and let the rage take him, but still made sure that he struck her with the flat of his blade. They exchanged blows, she fighting to kill, while he trying to grant mercy. The fierce exchange fortunately kept the other elves back with haughty looks of disdain for their wild brethren as they danced the dance of death....

Ivan sat up and sprung to his feet as he heard the cries of his men beyond the doors leading to the dungeon. They blew open and elves with weapons poured in. At their feet lay two of his troops. Behind them two robed elves followed. He was engulfed in darkness and subsequently heard two explosions as fire and smoke and the smell of charred flesh washed over him. He yelled and charged up the stairs.

Behind him Benito also was caught in the darkness and felt the heat of the magical detonations, but not the pain. He activated his cape and flew up the passageway, calling back to Khirin, "Fall back! Guard the sword!"

He passed the heavy fighting on the stairs where two more of Ivan's men had fallen and the Weaponmaster was engaged with two elven, dual-scimitar wielders who had sword prowess near to his own. Blood dripped down the stairs making the footing tricky and Ivan lost one of his blades. However, Benito went right at the elven mages. One he touched and the mage screamed, crumbling to dust. The other blasted him with magic. Unphased the cleric of Tyr finished him with another touch spell, forcing many wounds to bleed simultaneously. A slice from Mano de la Justicia finished him.

That was too easy.... thought the cleric.

A cry from Khirin below supported his suspicion and he bolted down the stairs knocking one of the elves' scimitars from his grasp into the empty hand of Ivan. Ivan winked as the cleric passed and thanked him and Tymora.

"Hold them as best you can, Ivan! Khirin's in trouble!"

...and so is the sword!

Souliess hearing the commotion from downstairs awoke, hungry as usual. As he made his way leisurely towards the dining hall and kitchen a whooshing sound and a brisk breeze blew through the open apetures of the castle. Souliess made a face. The wind had a bitter, acrid smell.

Then something heavy hit the side of the castle. More specifically what ever it had been shook the high tower, startling the clerics of Tyr from their vigil, waking Grim and alerting the Cormyrean soldiers on duty, upsetting the balance of some. Mourn began to writhe spasmodically.

In the dining hall, the elven barbarians continued to fight, bruised and bloodied. Dust and a few loose bits of rock fell from the ceiling.

Down in the dungeons and Ivan and his men fell back defensively, more dust and bits of loose earth dropped from the above.

Ivan looked up and cursed. He had a bad feeling that things had just gone from bad to worse...

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post
the end...

Great post Broc. It's always cool to read the write up of a great session (and that was one of the best I've played in). Well hopefully you get the next part up soon because it is gonna be a fun read. From bad to worse, lol, what an understatement... It's like saying the Rebellion had a run of bad luck in ' 'TheEmpire Strikes Back' :D

To come... From 'Bad' to 'Really Really Bad'... then from 'Really Really Bad' to 'Wow, you mean it can get worse ?'

Lol... keep up the good work Broc :)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
7-8 Tarsakh, Year of Rogue Dragons The Beginning of the End, part II

Grim gasped, tumbling away from the window as the roof of the tower was ripped free revealing to the rest of the group what the halfling had already seen, a very large dragon. Green scales glistened from the great lizard as it hovered, its tail sending tiles and stone crashing to the ground many feet below. Unnatural fear took him and he looked toward the exit.

Sergei signed orders to his his very shaken troops to stand fast. He tightened the grip on his katana and shouldered through the door in time to see a robed figure appear in the room from nowhere. The dragon on one side and this robed thing between him and the way out gave Grim pause. Seeing the Inquistors rise to meet the foe, the rogue drew his short sword and kama. But before he could act, and in the blink of an eye, Mourn was free and floating towards the dragon. The robed figure stood again before the priests of Tyr. Arcane words streamed from the stranger. He pointed to the older cleric and uttered one word.

"Die!"

The Chief Inqusitor crumpled to the floor, dead before he could scream. The young cleric was brave and cast a powerful spell of his own to severely weaken his unknown foe. As the negative energy coursed through the apprentice he reached out and touched the mage who had just slain his master.

Nothing happened!

The mage calmly removed his hood and laughed. The mage, who appeared to have once been an elf, was already dead.

Grim bit his tongue and used the shadows to hide and move out from the room. Sergei backed away as the tower room was engulfed in fire. He heard more gravelly laughter and screams and smelled charred flesh. As the smoke cleared, the elven lich was flying back towards the dragon picking up Mourn's floating semi-conscious body on the way.

Iriaeboran soldiers fired bows and bolts ineffectually at the venerable green. However, Prespur the Translocator had teleported to the scene. He fired a grey beam that disapated as it hit the green. Then the dragon closed, but only managed to slap the airborne protector of Iriaebor with its tail. His elation at surviving the dragon's onslaught was short-lived. The lich cast its own spell of disintegration and Prespur, or what was left of him, floated away, dust in the wind. Had the undead elven mage had facial muscles remaining, it would have smirked.

Somehow the young priest, though smoldering and knocked prone by the blast, had survived. He clutched the sword-case and looked at Sergei who began pointing down towards the stairs. Even without words, they understood each other. Mourn was gone but they could still make sure the moonblade would not fall into the wrong hands. Sergei grabbed the remaining Inquisitor hastily as he felt the tower shake. The dragon's head appeared over the broken rim. They tore past the Cormyrean troops who although shaken, were prepared to assault the dragon. The dragon laughed and breathed. Grim dove into a barrel of water as the green cloud left the beast's mouth.

Caustic, chlorine gas spilled into the remains of the tower room and rolled down the stairs. The soldiers screamed as the flesh melted from their bones. A tear rolled down Sergei's eye as he half-dragged the badly injured priest down the stairs barely escaping the deadly gas. His men hadn't stood a chance. The tower shook again as the dragon continued to batter the castle, not wanting to be denied total victory.

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post
Evil elven lichs that cast power word kill and time stop ? Ancient green wyrms ? Elven shock troopers... For shame Broc, what were a bunch of back water hillbilly adventurers fresh out of Alaghon supposed to do ? If you say die you'd be right but also very very evil. Well it only gets better from here (if you like carnage and running for your life :D). Heh, can't wait to read the next post it should be fun.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
He laughs!

Malachai_rose said:
Evil elven lichs that cast power word kill and time stop ? Ancient green wyrms ? Elven shock troopers... For shame Broc, what were a bunch of back water hillbilly adventurers fresh out of Alaghon supposed to do ? If you say die you'd be right but also very very evil.

I say Die!

Mwhahahahaha!

Well....that might be a little harsh.

Instead, I'll say Run Adventurers, Run!

It still makes me laugh.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
7-8 Tarsakh, Year of Rogue Dragons The Beginning of the End, part III

"This is getting us nowhere, sister. Please stop fighting against me!"

Ellysidell ducked the latest swipe from his own axe that the female wild elf wielded. Ellysidell responded with another smack with the flat of his falchion. Both he and her were wounded and had it not been for their heightened state of battle, would have been wobbly and on their last legs. Ellysidell's adversary merely grunted and sliced him across the arm.

Souliess had evened the odds by forcibly tossing the four other elves into the fire place with the power of his mind. They lay sprawled, awkwardly with broken heads and necks in a pile of logs next to it. Ellysidell had waved off any more help, but the psionic wolverine was searching for an advantage for the both of them and quickly. He smelled death and it was approaching quickly.

Tell her your the Chosen! Souliess's sending echoed in Ellysidell's mind. Grrr...How could he have forgotten?

"I am the Chosen of Felmarel Mestarine, our god. Surrender and follow me!"

That sounded strange to him, coming out of his own mouth. He'd felt it hadn't come across very confident. However, his tatoo of the mighty black wolf on his chest glowed slightly, giving his adversary pause.

"If you are Chosen as you say, you should have no problem defeating me."

Because your holding back, stupid elf! Souliess yelled to no one.

Ell glared at the wolverine, "I wish to spare your life, sister."

He was beginning to sound more confident.

"Spare it as you please," she said narrowing her eyes as if still not convinced. Still, she was intrigued.

"If you defeat me, I will follow, but if I beat you, then you must join us against the hated humans!"

The Chosen of Felmarel Mestarine sighed, "I agree...."

And the barbarians rejoined combat, each with their own feral war cry.

As Ivan had predicted things had gotten worse. Two more of his men were down, bringing the total to six. He loved his men. The two whose corspes lay beneath him, had pushed their leader aside to given him time to down some healing. They had paid with their lives. Finally, he had slain one of the killer elves who had spouted vehemence against him and his human kind. His bite had also been pretty bad. Deep gashes still ran across Ivan's body, despite the healings. Now, however, he faced the last assassin one-on-one. Two more of his troops were holding their own against lesser elven warriors and two he had forced to stay behind him and cover a possible retreat.

"Benito, hurry it up down there! I could use a little help!"

"Your friend will be too late, human" retorted his foe with a bloody, disdainful grin.

That condescending look was the last straw for the Rashemani.

"Wipe that grin off your face, elf!"

Ivan struck his enemy in the mouth with his left fist, stunning him with the surprise move. This he followed with a downward back hand slash of his newly acquired, acid-dripping scimitar cutting the stumbling elf across the chest. Then, for the finishing move he struck powerfully with his old faithful, icy burst scimitar across the abdomen, spilling guts and freezing the blood. The elf toppled forward and Ivan crushed his neck underfoot for good measure.

Looking up, he saw Lord Bron and several of his house guard crash through the ranks of elves at the top of the stairs.

By Tempus, It's about bloody time!

"No need, Benito. It's all under control!"

In any case, Benito could not have helped, having enough problems of his own...

Benito had flown down to the dungeon to find the room more shadowy than he had remembered. Khirin was huddled on the floor in a fetal position clutching his crossbow tightly, whimpering.
Even more shocking was the open cell door and the moonblade sliding across the floor towards the opening.

Benito acted quickly, faster than even he thought possible and stepped on the sword mere inches before it crossed the threshold. Unholy pain shot up his leg as the blade retaliated in anger at being thwarted. Arcane magic followed as magic missles appeared and blasted Benito across the body. There was another spellcaster in here. One that the cleric had apparently missed, and he was still invisible even after that initial barrage. Gritting his teeth, Benito kicked the blade back into the cell. Again he was rewarded with pain, and on the edge of his thoughts a darkly, beautiful, elven woman pleaded with him for mercy and freedom. He dismissed the thought, but the resistance had cost him seconds. The outline of a shadow-covered elf appeared pointing in his direction. Instantly, He found himself in a deep well of shadows and was afraid.

Khirin whimpered again somewhere in the cold void.

Benito thought This is not going well....

Last edited:

Remove ads